Audeze LCD-1 just landed!

Icarium

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huh, the LCD-2 are different drivers?

Different as in Improved..going by their website.

Edit:

I was told so that they were coming out with new drivers in a couple of months when they were just about to release the LCD-1...I think Icarium commented that they are claiming thinner diaphragm (which they were working on even when the LCD-1 was being released), moar efficiency..and its been over 2 months..so I'd say..yes!

Different as in Improved..going by their website.

I was told so that they were coming out with new drivers in a couple of months when they were just about to release the LCD-1...and on their website they claim thinner diaphragm, moar efficiency..and its been over 2 months..so I'd say..yes!

grr. I'm so happy with my new LCD-1. I'd definitely like to compare them side by side to the LCD-2, if they/anyone could oblige. I don't think I'll blindly upgrade, that's for sure.

grr. I'm so happy with my new LCD-1. I'd definitely like to compare them side by side to the LCD-2, if they/anyone could oblige. I don't think I'll blindly upgrade, that's for sure.

Noted..but everything they have done on the LCD-2 spells pure win to me..

Seems like a better frame, better sealing possibly, better pads (possibly..may lose that great soundstage a little but then they have gone for a very open design like the T50V1..so it may still have that great soundstage), Better driver and I am assuming better stock damping going by later releases of LCD-1s. They certainly are listening to their customers and ortho addicts.

Hey Steve

thanks for your impressions.

x2

most headphones roll off at the top end while these sounded pretty smooth to 20kHz to me.

I'm glad you agree that most headphones roll off in the treble.:P Also, being able to hear up to 20kHz FTW.

My initial impression of the lcd one is that the bass had a tendency to "lose it" and the mids were a little more forward than my normal preference. The mods I made addressed this - thightened up the bass, pulled in the mids - the process probably did push up the top end a little, but I felt it brought it all more in balance. The bass quantity can be increased by creating a seal between the baffle and cup. I found the bass to be very good but not as present as say the T50 or some of the vintage yamaha's ( especially the HP3/50 series) . At least now I know what your donuts sound like ;)

The way you describe the stock LCD1 makes it sound similar to an underdamped T20v2. Actually, throwing a ton of damping at it just cleans up the bass but the mids are still quite forward, and made focused by the damping. How exactly did you recess the mids in your mods again?

----

In regards to the LCD2, I'm about to say fuck the SR404 LE and save up for the new ortho instead, although I may have to wait to compare to the Head-Direct ortho since now the prices are comparable. I have too many 'stats and not enough things that aren't 'stats.

Well I'm home now, and I've had a chance to sleep a bit. Things are always fast paced when at Marc's, even when we plan a kick back weekend.

I didn't have a chance to read through the new posts in this thread before I posted my quick impressions (we we're performing surgery on Al's amps), but after reading through I think I can say that dBel accomplished his LCD-1 goals in spades. I would have to say that Marc's LCD-1 is the best ortho I've yet heard. Yes I like it even better than the Donuts. It's just a little better all around. A really nice balance, congrats Don!

So much so, that I told Marc he may as well sell his T-50. Although the T-50 sounds a bit better after mods too, but can't stand toe to toe with the LCD-1 IMHO.

We only had the F5 up and running for a short time. The next morning the left channel decided it was tired, and needed a break. It seems to be a simple connection related issue, but we wanted to accomplish other things first. When we do get it running, I'd like to spend more time with the F5/LCD-1 combo, as the taste I got was really, really good.

As for me, I can live with the prices, and slight funkiness of the LCD-1/LCD-2, if the 2 is a step up from the 1. The SQ is good enough to override the slightly funky, garage project looks. But they do seem quite solid to me. I actually kind of like the look of the LCD-2, funky headband and all. And let's face it, these designs are leaps and bounds above the Take-T and Jade planar headphones, aesthetic wise. And both of those are well above the Audeze in price.

Just got back from RMAF and got a chance to listen to both the LCD-1 and 2. The Audez'e guys had the 2s running out of a Denon Cd player -> ZDT, and it sounded spectacular, especially at the $650 price point. I intend to pick up a pair when the final production version of the LCD-2 is up for sale.

To my ears, the 2 was a big step up from the 1. The great quickness and detail retrieval was there in both, but the 2s had a much larger soundstage and beautifully rich and punchy bass that the 1s seemed to lack.

It was nice to see tinkerers come up with a really great and innovative product in a market space that is generally dominated by large manufacturers - I think Audez'e has a winner.

In regards to the LCD2, I'm about to say fuck the SR404 LE and save up for the new ortho instead, although I may have to wait to compare to the Head-Direct ortho since now the prices are comparable. I have too many 'stats and not enough things that aren't 'stats.

I haven't seen/heard much about the Head-Direct orthos. When are they supposed to come out?

It's not that odd actually Monkey, the HD800 is a ring radiator and in some ways the vintage yamaha orthos behave the same. The Audeze however are truely planar in that the driver is held at the edges much like the fostex series.

I have not heard the HD800 and thus cannot answer your question but I would imagine they have similarities.

..dB

edit - i type too slowly ;)

Everytime I hear the HD800 I say, "yeah Senn really got it right this time". The HD800 improves over the previous generations in every way. However, I cannot stop comparing them really. If that makes sense. With Audeze from first listen I compared them to everything I'd ever heard and they just resonated with me.

Well Marc, I have to agree that you have a great set of headphones their ( actually both of the big ortho's ) and unlike Steve, I say keep the T50 as it brings something else to the mix too. The lcd1 is however a very neutral all round performer - and neutral as in everything sounds as it should and NOT boring. If the lcd2 brings the bass game into play - just sweetness all round ..dB

Well Marc, I have to agree that you have a great set of headphones their ( actually both of the big ortho's ) and unlike Steve, I say keep the T50 as it brings something else to the mix too. The lcd1 is however a very neutral all round performer - and neutral as in everything sounds as it should and NOT boring. If the lcd2 brings the bass game into play - just sweetness all round ..dB

OK, now you have to post up those mods. :D

Everytime I hear the HD800 I say, "yeah Senn really got it right this time". The HD800 improves over the previous generations in every way. However, I cannot stop comparing them really. If that makes sense. With Audeze from first listen I compared them to everything I'd ever heard and they just resonated with me.

It's the planar sound, you know you can't escape it. So good, so right... so realistic. My mouth now waters over the LCD-2 and Head-Direct orthos.

And as to the Head-Direct orthos, I don't know when they are coming out, but they are listed under Head-Direct on the RMAF website:

Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2009

Here's a pic:

What headphones are these? (head-direct) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

OK, now you have to post up those mods. :D

So the mods....

No rocket science just what worked for my ears.

1. seal the pads against the cup = i used some neoprene type foam under the edge of the pad.

2. somewhat of an aesthetic tweak but also functional = medium density felt lining the outside of the cup. This gets rid of the yellow and adds a layer of damping.

3. Up against the driver - I tried several things and finally settles with a round disc of thick dense felt ( covers the center of the driver between the holding screws.

4. I added an outer "ring" / "square" of damping tape ( the ophthalmic version that BMF is so fond of this time )

Leave the glass fibre in place.

I'm assuming the LCD-2 + B22 = Likely Goodness?
I'm assuming the LCD-2 + B22 = Likely Goodness?

You just need a good amp , Marc summed it up for me earlier

"yeah, this sounds like it should, ... yeah, nice....". ______"this is different...wow, yeah wow." :)

This is how I feel everytime I fire up my little orange jobbie

..dB