The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

The amazing thing is that the active, signal-route part of the circuit, is four tubes and four FETs. Everything else is either current sources or voltage sources. Plus the servo, of course.

Yup, that's what I tired to explain to them but I don't think they actually understood it. It's the same people who think opamp based designs are "simple". Sure my gainclone has very few components plus single chip per channel... :D

finally back on track after 9 days of stomach flu...

http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/woodknob1.jpg

30 minutes on the bandsaw, this stuff is tougher than aluminum.

Smells wonderful.

Looks great Kevin - it is a bugger to work being so tough. But real Lignum Vitae has a wonderful perfume, doesn't it?

Really looking forward to seeing the final thing. You definitely need pilot holes for the screws though, or drill and tap - just as you would for metal. As you know I tried 1/4UNC and M6 with perfect results.

That's quite a nice piece of wood you have there! :)

Any reason why you didn't work it on a lathe?

On a side note, there's a kitchen knife brand here in portugal that makes these really nice knives with Lingun Vitae handles. I've got a 30 year old one and it still looks like new!

Well i have to cut it up into a round shape before i stick it into the lathe...

Otherwise i waste an entire huge piece of EXPENSIVE wood just for one knob.

This way i'll get 4 knobs. And everyone knows what 4 knobs in the hand is worth...

holes for the screws will be drilled and tapped. Special screws designed

for woods like this.

Edited by kevin gilmore

no chance of an x-ray machine doing that? I understand it's wood, etc... just curious if it's possible at all.

The Zen-like cabinetmaking books by Krenov talk about the risks of cutting into a piece of wood. Even with his legendary intuition of reading a plank, he would often get it wrong. At one stage he almost paralysed himself with the fear of cutting or planing incorrectly and missing that perfect effect.

That is the risk and the joy of working with wood.