What are you driving your K1000 with?

swt61

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sitting here listening to my β22 drive the K1000 for the very first time.

I can't seem to quit grinning! It's definitely a bigger improvement than I expected over my Consonance integrated amp. I'm starting to see for myself what you K1K guys are talking about as to the scalability of these headphones.

If the Pass F5 is an even better match than this, I may just pee myself.

Once the Buffalo32 is in the system I'll be satisfied for some time to come.

I don't know about common, but I do know about 4 or 5 people that like the combo.

Al will not like my system, because I'm at about 3:00 for a comfortable volume. He would not have enough gain with this current setup.

Marc, I did decide on the Volumite on the Buffalo32 build, so that may negate the need for a preamp for the F5.

I don't know about common, but I do know about 4 or 5 people that like the combo.

Al will not like my system, because I'm at about 3:00 for a comfortable volume. He would not have enough gain with this current setup.

Marc, I did decide on the Volumite on the Buffalo32 build, so that may negate the need for a preamp for the F5.

ya, I had a feeling you should have upped the gain the beta22.. how are your orthos? I cannot remember the name of your source, but will the buf32 have higher voltage output?

ya, I had a feeling you should have upped the gain the beta22.. how are your orthos? I cannot remember the name of your source, but will the buf32 have higher voltage output?

Well the current setting is hot enough for me, so no real issue there.

My Original 2008 Mk.II CDP is a medium source, and the Buffalo32 will most definitely be a hotter source.

My only orthos now are the Duggeh Orthodome III. I haven't plugged them in yet, but they're nowhere near as hungry as the Donuts were.

Well the current setting is hot enough for me, so no real issue there.

My Original 2008 Mk.II CDP is a medium source, and the Buffalo32 will most definitely be a hotter source.

My only orthos now are the Duggeh Orthodome III. I haven't plugged them in yet, but they're nowhere near as hungry as the Donuts were.

Looks like you have the same output voltage as my source, 2vrms balanced. What's the b22 gain (balanced) again?

Yours isn't the modded one with the Lundahl transformers, is it?

On the first page of this thread I read that JP thought the Signature 30 was just ok. Anyone else has any thoughts of the Signature 30.2 driving the K1000. You can find examples of the Signature 30.2 in Audiogon for under $1,500 and was wondering what your thoughts were. Thanks.

I mean his CD player:

No, stock unit, not the Moon Audio modded unit.

It will be used as a transport to the Buffalo32.

On the first page of this thread I read that JP thought the Signature 30 was just ok. Anyone else has any thoughts of the Signature 30.2 driving the K1000. You can find examples of the Signature 30.2 in Audiogon for under $1,500 and was wondering what your thoughts were. Thanks.

krmathis and a few others have raved about that combo Miguel. I've not heard it. I do know that if the Pass F5 is as good as Marc thinks it will be, it'll be a pretty cheap way to drive the K1000 effectively. Uhm that's a DIY F5 of coarse.

Edited by swt61

Depending on how the F5 performs this weekend it may be a mute point. If I prefer it, the β22 will be used as an HD580, possibly HD800 amp. And a gain of 10 is more than overkill for those.

What production vintage do you own?

Are you asking about the K1000 serial number? #1378

Your other phones are amped with one of the best. For the K-1000, the ZDT is the weak link IMHO. They should sound fast and extremely tight from top to bottom even if they aren't your taste.

I agree, I hope I just need to hear them with the right amp. Craig recommended the Balancing Act with 300B for the K1000 over the ZDT, but it was too much to spend at the time and I wanted the 8-watt speaker taps for my SRD-7 Mk2 SB.

Now I wonder if I made the right choice, because it's also a little underpowered for the SRD-7 Mk2 and Pro. I'm not actually unhappy with the ZDT - I'm just unhappy that it improved the K1000 but not enough to make them shine, and I put my hopes on one amp driving everything.

I heard the Sig 30 with the K-1000s. I was pretty underwhelmed, but I think they were being held back by being double preamped. We were having a K-1000/HE-90 shoot out and Neil's house. I'd like to hear the Sig 30 again under better circumstances before I judge them.

I do know that at another forum Krmathis (a long term O2 owner and fan) is amping the K-1000s with the Sig 30.2 and has his O2s mk.1 up for sale because the K-1000s are getting all his listening time for whatever that's worth. (stated in his FS post)

I'm not actually unhappy with the ZDT - I'm just unhappy that it improved the K1000 but not enough to make them shine, and I put my hopes on one amp driving everything.

That's the problem with the K-1000s and Stax. You have to have 3 different amps if you want to have normal headphones. I hope you can figure out a way to fund an amp or just sell them and focus on your other 50 headphones :P and not spread yourself too thin. A 300b amp would be ideal.

but I think they were being held back by being double preamped

I don't know if this really makes sense. Some amplifiers have multiple gain stages, few have single gain stages. In the case of a preamp, it's just another gain stage.

Anyways, I think it's impossible to make the statement that a preamp limits a K1000 rig categorically.

I was just thinking that since the Sig 30 was designed to use battery power to theoretically have clean, more stable power, a gain stage bringing power in from the grid might defeat any of that benefit. Also, the idea that every extra component added to the "chain" runs the risk of degrading the sound. But...

I really don't know. I may have heard it in all it's glory. If so, I was just underwhelmed considering how many really like that combo. It sounded good but not great to me.

Also, the idea that every extra component added to the "chain" runs the risk of degrading the sound.

that's sorta what I mean. You're thinking at the component level. I'm saying there is another way to think of that, and this is at the stage level internal to an amplifier. One amp may have four stages and another has a single stage. Is the one with fewer stages better? I don't think it's that easy. Furthermore, you may have an amp with one stage and a preamp with one stage (so two stages combined), is that worse than a amp with three stages and no preamp? Food for thought I guess.

that's sorta what I mean. You're thinking at the component level. I'm saying there is another way to think of that, and this is at the stage level internal to an amplifier. One amp may have four stages and another has a single stage. Is the one with fewer stages better? I don't think it's that easy. Furthermore, you may have an amp with one stage and a preamp with one stage (so two stages combined), is that worse than a amp with three stages and no preamp? Food for thought I guess.

But surely for pre-amps in series you're talking about excess cables and associated connections...... not to mention multiple volume controls. I imagine this would be much less of an issue for stages in an amp.

I heard John's Sig 30, but only a couple times and a long time ago. I also remember thinking it was fine, but didn't prefer it to the Zana Deux/F1 with the K1000s, which was also present at one mini-meet at his house. I really liked the Zana/F1, and although never got the chance to compare it side-by-side to other good K1000 rigs I heard, in memory, it was one of my favorites.

Before I sold my K1000s, I was using a SP Extreme/F1 combo, and really liked it. Also sounds great and is in current use with my Abbys.

The EHHA at RMAF (built by wiatrob) is very good with K1000. My hopes have been brought back from the brink. They're almost as good as the HD800 now, instead of being worse than my HF-2. I'll be trying out an SAC K1000 amp this week as well, and might be able to compare it to the EHHA.

The new Woo WA22 is also much better with K1000 than the Prototype from CanJam and July CO meet, and even better than the WA5 and ZDT I thought. I need to try that one more time tomorrow, because jack didn't seem to agree with me.