Naim DAC

deepak

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out one of the US Naim dealers is local to Alexandria. I think I may need to make a call and see if I can get a trial. I can always support 2 dacses for AB and I think this and the PW are the only two I want to try.

Checking the Naim forums, it looks like Naim is having production/distibution issues. Maybe your dealer has more information. I'd love to hear some impressions of this DAC.

Whut?

A differential long tail pair (LTP) is used for the input stage. This provides high input impedance, ensuring that the DAC chip’s output current flows principally through the I2V stage’s feedback resistor. A low impedance resistive load forces the effect of parasitic capacitance to a very high frequency, ensuring that the input stage is fast. Because the LTP transistors are biased from a constant current source and the virtual earth configuration inherently keeps them at a constant voltage, the input stage is extremely linear. If it were not it would irreversibly distort the signal.

That doesn't seem right? Possibly an error in the writeup...

No I'm saying it's a current out DAC going through a very very small value resistor as the first stage of the IV. I read the whole section carefully after you posted that.

This is also the case in the Bel Canto DAC3 as I understand it from the Stereophile Review.

Edited by Dreadhead

Well no luck yet from the dealer. I hate having to spend money with places that make it difficult to do business with them or are "exclusive" for no reason other than to be exclusive.

I'll give it until Monday but if no joy I'll email Naim USA and let them know their dealer is ignoring possible business. Maybe they won't care either. Who knows.

I suggest calling, most small businesses have a painful choice of either answering email all day or dealing with customers. A phone call shows a lot more initiative than an email to most traditional business folks so it might yield much better results even if you just end up leaving a message. It's at least worth trying before sending a nasty-gram to Naim USA.

I did some more listening with my DAC2 and the DEQ2496 and I could not hear any difference when switching between the two under single blind conditions. So I've decided not to bother with the Naim DAC or any other DAC for that matter. I never heard back from the guy but considering that this week has been a CF around here I'd say that's allowable.

I can make my own apodizing digital filter if I want to hear what that does to the sound in the Naim and the PWD. My guess is it will help percussion "sizzle" with some tracks where the down-sampling to 44/16 wasn't done right.

Edited by Dreadhead

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i went to go listen earlier this evening & they had just received their demo back from loaning it out to a customer...the dealer/salesman was the typical naim zealot & insisted that he wouldn't be doing it justice letting me listen to a cold dac....he showed me the new naim uniti...it sounded pretty decent...i may go back tomorrow (he's running the dac overnight:rolleyes:) or sometime later this week...

i really do want to hear it, but i'm put off by the price...the magazines all say