What are you reading now?

grawk

Peter,

What would you recommend as a starting point for Seanan's work?  I'm guessing Rosemarry and Rue.

Feed.  I mean, yeah, the October Daye series are her masterworks, so yeah, those first three -- Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, and An Artificial Night have everything I love about the O.D. series, but Feed was my entry point, and is still one of my favourites.  And if you liked the multi-textured aspect of Ghost in the Shell -- from one perspective, it's a political intrigue thriller, from another, it's a buddy cop movie, from yet another it's a procedural/investigation movie, from yet another, it's a philosophical treatise about what constitutes "life" in a cybernetic world... -- this has all of that in spades...alright, except that last one, but it has its own "philosophical treatise" agenda.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Kavalier & Clay. Its great. I've heard a number of literary figures call it one of the best books to come out of the 2000s. I don't necessarily agree with that, but it is a very good and very touching story. Recommended.

Amazingadventuresbook.jpg

Starting this classic now:

71YEc38-9%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Modern Library placed it in their top 10 non-fiction books so I'm pretty excited to get through it for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Double Helix.

Watson was/is an arrogant SOB, but it was an enjoyable read and it was interesting to learn about the process of one of the most important scientific discoveries of the last 100 years. I think both the praise and the criticism Double Helix gets are both well deserved.

In an effort to alternate fiction and non-fiction, I'm doing this next:

220px-AllTheKingsMen.jpg

Edited by TMoney

How'd this work out for you? I loved Malazan while I was reading it, preferred it to ASoIaF. Admittedly around book 8 of malazan I had to admit I had no idea what was going on. Someday I'll start over and read them all straight through.

Just saw your post.  Still going through the book - about ⅔ of the way through.  I'm not exactly the fastest English reader (Japanese, on the other hand, I can read rather quickly) and until I got myself a Paperwhite last month, I was barely reading any since my eyes would get tired really quickly reading books on iPad.

So far, I like it, but took a bit to get going since it was difficult to figure out what was going on for a while.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

...until I got myself a Paperwhite last month, I was barely reading any since my eyes would get tired really quickly reading books on iPad.

+1 for the Kindle Paperwhite. I totally agree.

Since I got it I gotten back to my goal of a book a month after going a long time only reading 2-3 books in an entire year. Its an amazing device, especially for reading at night. Way better than reading on an iPad.

• 2 weeks later...

15819028.jpg

About 1/2 way through it. It's really really good so far.

picked this up after seeing it in this thread. i love this genre, magical realism i think its called. stuff like jonathan strange and mr. norrel.

I enjoyed the Golem and the Jinni. Started out super strong and engaging, the middle wasn't read until you pass out good but it kept me interested. 

A promising debut to be sure. Looking forward to whatever Wecker comes up with next.

I find it so hard these days to find a good book. I feel like I've read all the good fantasy, so much of it is garbage, and I can be particular about my sci fi. I probably need a good cop/detective book to cleanse my pallette.

• Like 1

Just saw your post.  Still going through the book - about ⅔ of the way through.  I'm not exactly the fastest English reader (Japanese, on the other hand, I can read rather quickly) and until I got myself a Paperwhite last month, I was barely reading any since my eyes would get tired really quickly reading books on iPad.

So far, I like it, but took a bit to get going since it was difficult to figure out what was going on for a while.

Sweet. Yeah Erickson doesn't really help his readers a lot, his stuff can be obtuse. Once you get into the world (which takes the first book) it gets really awesome. The second and third books are pure joy. Deeper into the series I got really confused. Due to the complexity of the story and the long time I spent between reading them, I forgot what the hell was going on.

Someday I'll pick them all up and read them back to back.

Sweet. Yeah Erickson doesn't really help his readers a lot, his stuff can be obtuse. Once you get into the world (which takes the first book) it gets really awesome. The second and third books are pure joy. Deeper into the series I got really confused. Due to the complexity of the story and the long time I spent between reading them, I forgot what the hell was going on.

Someday I'll pick them all up and read them back to back.

Just started Deadhouse Gates and really enjoying it.  I do wish it was less cumbersome to check different section on Kindle/Paperwhite (or iPad for that matter as well) for looking at dramatic personae or glossary.

• 1 month later...

Fiiiiiinally finished Declare, started off kind of slow (mostly my fault -- I only read when on the road, and wasn't on the road, so the story got real broken up, but finally finished my rBook [real book], so instead of starting another one, finished this), but finished really strongly.

Started The Noble Hustle:  Poker, Beef Jerky, and Death -- really amusing so far.

Oh, and good news for fans of Mira Grant.

Squee!

picked this up after seeing it in this thread. i love this genre, magical realism i think its called. stuff like jonathan strange and mr. norrel.

I enjoyed the Golem and the Jinni. Started out super strong and engaging, the middle wasn't read until you pass out good but it kept me interested. 

A promising debut to be sure. Looking forward to whatever Wecker comes up with next.

I find it so hard these days to find a good book. I feel like I've read all the good fantasy, so much of it is garbage, and I can be particular about my sci fi. I probably need a good cop/detective book to cleanse my pallette.

Jack, have you read The Magicians by Lev Grossman? If not, it should restore your faith in the fantasy genre. It's basically a mashup of/homage to JK Rowling and CS Lewis, but way cooler and with drugs and sex. Book three of the series comes out this summer.

Edited by acidbasement

Just finished Robert Penn Warren's All the King's Men.

Really enjoyed it. It's a bit all over the place, but any scene with Willy Stark in it is solid gold. It is a classic for a reason, despite its flaws.

I had seen both the 1950's and 2000's movie adaptations prior to reading this and that didn't dampen my enjoyment of the book in the slightest. Penn Warren is a very good writer.

AllTheKingsMen.jpg