What are you reading now?

grawk

Squee!

Jack, have you read The Magicians by Lev Grossman? If not, it should restore your faith in the fantasy genre. It's basically a mashup of/homage to JK Rowling and CS Lewis, but way cooler and with drugs and sex. Book three of the series comes out this summer.

Haven't even heard of it, thanks for the recommendation. added to amazon wishlist.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished The Beautiful Dead (which was wonderful, for those who don't follow me on Facebook.

I read this over the weekend... I had seen this post a ways back and had the book on my Kindle and finally got around to it. What a great read. Fast paced, great world building and surprisingly poignant climax (that was admittedly admittedly a little telegraphed, but shockingly well done and powerful). If a post-apocalyptic Trenton occupied by the undead intrigues you, check it out. Thanks for mentioning it, Peter.

• Like 1

Yeah.  On everything.  EDIT:  except I think you need to add one more qualifier to the second-to-last sentence, because if you read just that, it might seem like Jeff's thing, but I don't think it's Jeff's thing.  I just don't know how to qualify it.  Something about "feels", perhaps?  There ...

there is killing, but there are also long stretches of not killing, probably at least one too many for Jeff's taste.

Me (probably old news, as I'm a bit of a slow reader):  Parasite by Mira Grant in non-virtual reading; The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze Orman on Kindle/phone-blet (I am definitely the target audience to both these).

http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/05/unlocked-an-oral-history-of-hadens-syndrome-john-scalzi

Holy crap John Scalzi has come up with an interesting idea. I just binge read the novella because I want to start listening to the audio book of the novel on my way into work.

the book was good, but not great. acceptable cop drama based on fun ideas. the virus from the novella is brilliant tho.

Just finished Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss.

salt_sugar_fat_hc.jpg

Scary as hell. The best food book I've ever read while also being one of the best business books I've read. I've loved Mr. Moss' writing over at the NYT and that lead me to picking this up.

Man, the food industry is a scary place. Like the tobacco companies, the food industry operates in a very morally grey area where they sell products designed to be used in moderation that they know people are hopelessly addicted to. This book probes the science, business tactics and history of the processed food business. Chapters on sugary cereals, lunchables and capri-sun drinks struck especially close to home as I had plenty of each of them growing up.

Number one takeaway from the book? READ THE NUTRITION LABELS!!!

Edited by TMoney

• 2 weeks later...

An A. O. Scott NYTs piece titled

The Death of Adulthood in American Culture

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/magazine/the-death-of-adulthood-in-american-culture.html?referrer=&_r=1

So good.

"What happens to the boy rebels when the dream of perpetual childhood fades and the traditional prerogatives of manhood are unavailable? There are two options: They become irrelevant or they turn into Louis C. K."

"The dominant voices in pop music now, with the possible exception of rock, which is dad music anyway, belong to women."

Just finished Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss.

salt_sugar_fat_hc.jpg

Scary as hell. The best food book I've ever read while also being one of the best business books I've read. I've loved Mr. Moss' writing over at the NYT and that lead me to picking this up.

Man, the food industry is a scary place. Like the tobacco companies, the food industry operates in a very morally grey area where they sell products designed to be used in moderation that they know people are hopelessly addicted to. This book probes the science, business tactics and history of the processed food business. Chapters on sugary cereals, lunchables and capri-sun drinks struck especially close to home as I had plenty of each of them growing up.

Number one takeaway from the book? READ THE NUTRITION LABELS!!!

Kind of interesting how there is no daily recommended allowance % for sugar on nutrional labels right?

I haven't read that book but just watched the "Fed Up" documentary Katie Couric did. Focuses mostly on sugar, "big food", and childhood obesity. Some really crazy stuff. Very similar to big tobacco in the 80s, as you said.

I believe that sugar is insanely addictive.

Postjack, if you have any further interest in the subject I can't recommend the book enough. It is flat out excellent.

In other news, I saw that Bill Gates and Warren Buffet claimed this book to be their favorite business book of all time so I started it. Not bad so far.

Felt the urge for a detective book, reading Kate Atkinson's "Case Histories".

I've never read her before, over halfway through and am quite smitten. Great writing, really fleshed out characters, and I still have no idea where it is heading, other than all these different strands she is weaving will come together in the end.

• Like 1

Me (probably old news, as I'm a bit of a slow reader):  Parasite by Mira Grant in non-virtual reading; The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom by Suze Orman on Kindle/phone-blet (I am definitely the target audience to both these).

Needed something lighter to read while eating, so started The Winter Long by Seanan McGuire:

TheWinterLong_155x250.jpg

Look at this, she already knows what the titles of the next books are and when they will be coming (and purportedly, what they are about):

A Red-Rose Chain (September 2015, DAW). Details to come.

Once Broken Faith (September 2016, DAW). Details to come.

The Brightest Fell (September 2017, DAW). Details to come.

Night and Silence (September 2018, DAW). Details to come.

When Sorrows Come (September 2016, DAW). Details to come.