Fucking moron with computer source question......

randerson3024

I could probably find this by searching the site, but I'm lazy and stupid when it comes to using a PC as a source. I ordered the Ayre QB 9 last week, and intend on trying to use my computer as a source in an attempt to downsize my CD collection on the boat. I want to use lossless format and get the best sound I can. I have just a regular Toshiba laptop and a generic terabyte drive. Can anyone advise me as to whether I should get a better computer (such as Mac laptop dedicated for music only), any specific hard drive, which program to use, and if there are any high end USB cables for sale? I have some pretty good source equipment, and I am very picky about the playback quality.

Thanks.

Bob

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EAC to rip the disks in FLAC and you need nothing special besides that. For a Windows PC use Foobar to play it back and I'm sure the Ayre comes with some form of ASIO output to bypass the Kmixer built into Windows (it resamples everything to 48kHz and does other nasty things). HDD's are all way too fast to ever become a bottleneck and if anybody can hear difference then I'd like some of those drugs they are on. You can naturally use iTunes as well with ALAC but I never use it.

Audiophile USB cables are a bigger scam then digital cables as next to none of them adhere to the strict USB standard. With the Ayre in particular you are feeding the dac an asynchronous data stream so the cable should not matter here just as the cables inside the computer won't matter. I'm sure that there are differences but are they from interference/dropped bits or just the sound being moar better?

One thing you should consider later on is a NAS solution with some form of RAID for data security. HDD's don't really like the rather violent movements found on ships so show absorbers would be a good idea.

A trusted friend of mine in CA went with the dedicated Mac Mini for his rig, and swears by using AIFF only, with the Amarra software. I can't say I've heard a difference between compressed lossless (FLAC, ALAC) and AIFF files, but the odd person who pops up from time to time swearing on their mother's grave that they can does make me wonder. Amarra or Amarra Mini did make a difference on my Mac, as it uses their pro software to handle the digital bits instead of iTunes and Mac OS X. This seems to bring out a slightly clearer sound. You might experiment putting the Mac on the good end of the Shunyata Power Shit in your sig to see if it helps too. As well, consider a solid-state hard drive for the reasons Spritzer mentioned. As for audiophile grade power cables, I believe one of the more respected or hated Stereophile reviewers (depending on your point of view) put Belkin Gold cables only second to some crazy expensive ones, so YMMV. The Ayre uses Wavelenth's Async technology, which is supposed to be the bee's knees with USB, so fancy USB cables shouldn't matter. I'd probably, as a rule, say that if a digital cable makes a difference, then there's a problem with the DAC's ability to handle digital input. More than anything, I'd be keen to get your impressions of such a set-up compared to the CD players you're using.

A trusted friend of mine in CA went with the dedicated Mac Mini for his rig, and swears by using AIFF only, with the Amarra software. I can't say I've heard a difference between compressed lossless (FLAC, ALAC) and AIFF files, but the odd person who pops up from time to time swearing on their mother's grave that they can does make me wonder. Amarra or Amarra Mini did make a difference on my Mac, as it uses their pro software to handle the digital bits instead of iTunes and Mac OS X. This seems to bring out a slightly clearer sound. You might experiment putting the Mac on the good end of the Shunyata Power Shit in your sig to see if it helps too. As well, consider a solid-state hard drive for the reasons Spritzer mentioned. As for audiophile grade power cables, I believe one of the more respected or hated Stereophile reviewers (depending on your point of view) put Belkin Gold cables only second to some crazy expensive ones, so YMMV. The Ayre uses Wavelenth's Async technology, which is supposed to be the bee's knees with USB, so fancy USB cables shouldn't matter. I'd probably, as a rule, say that if a digital cable makes a difference, then there's a problem with the DAC's ability to handle digital input. More than anything, I'd be keen to get your impressions of such a set-up compared to the CD players you're using.

Thanks for the tips - I will check it all out once the Ayre arrives and publish my thoughts. I see you are in Fukaoka, I have been there many times.

Bob

I have had great luck with the Mac Mini and Amarra as have several other members here. I have everything in AIFF and the access to all my music has the fantastic sound quality have resulted in me listening to a lot more music with this system than any of my other sources, probably 95%.

I just use a basic USB portable drive as my iTunes HD and have had zero issues with the largish files playing all day long.

For ripping your music accurately and efficiently on a PC, you can't beat dbpoweramp. I liked it so much I bought it versus the free EAC.

MAC versus PC gives you no inherent benefit to sound quality...... it all depends on what software you want to use. iTunes on a MAC is easy, but there are a lot of tweaker options on the PC. I use foobar2000, which is extremely efficient and robust once you have it set up how you like it.

Although using the Mac will be nice, there is nothing inadequate about your current setup -- it should be fine. Either iTunes set on "paranoid", or EAC and...er...some software to play it, perhaps foobar2000 or something. I personally like iTunes.

I agree with the precept that going "ruggedized"/waterproof/whatnot might be a better option. I'm not sure they have ruggedized/waterproof external hard drives, though.

And they certainly don't have ruggedized Macs.

I use the Mac Mini with Amarra Mini ($395.00). The sound is supposedly the same but you lose the EQ and the ability to use the software for 24/192 music which could affect you as the Ayre is going to be upgraded to 24/192 some time soon.

I have never heard a great difference between 96 and 192 so I am fine with the Mini.

I use the Mac Mini with Amarra Mini ($395.00). The sound is supposedly the same but you lose the EQ and the ability to use the software for 24/192 music which could affect you as the Ayre is going to be upgraded to 24/192 some time soon.

I have never heard a great difference between 96 and 192 so I am fine with the Mini.

Thanks! This looks like a cheap way to start. I can always upgrade if I like it. I just spent a fortune on Christmas and a new bad ass moving coil as a gift to myself.

I've enjoyed using a self healing hard drive combo in place of one drive for my music. When I used to use a single drive, I would occasionally have problems retrieving/accessing a song here and there. Sometimes I could access them later, sometimes not.

If you have the money for it (and I suspect that you do) I'd recommend a drobo or raid1 array as your music drive(s). Thats probably the biggest improvement I've made regarding the computer side of this hobby since I started.

I don't think this will be an issue since he is essentially just ripping his CD's.

If you want to start from scratch I would also recommend the MAC Mini as your music server. Start with itunes and rip your music into either ALAC (apple lossless) or AIFF (Essentially an uncompressed WAV file). ALAC saves on space and now Amarra Mini and full can play nice with ALAC. I would suggest sticking with itunes to begin with and then add in the Amarra software later as your comfort level increases. If it was me I would also buy a nice external optical drive for your laptop and use dbpoweramp for the ripping (Windows only). It is a great program, extremely easy, and if you have multiple cores, very fast also. It works great with getting metadata for the rips and uses accurate-rip to speed up bit-perfect copying. The downside to this is you need to be comfortable moving data between OSX and Windows. I have not found a CD ripper of comparable quality and ease-of-use on the OSX side.