Trip to New York City - places to go and eat, things to do, etc...

recstar24

^ If you don't mind bumming it out, what about the Adria that immtbiker uses for the NYC spring meets that was also the venue for the first National Meet? It's out on Long Island and kinda far from Manhattan but a combined bus & subway ride (both are cheap) will get you right into the city. To get to the Adria from JFK you have to take the LIRR (train) which is also cheap (not sure how to navigate there from LGA, have only flown into JFK myself).

Let me know how the hotel is, we are still looking for hotels and could use a good recommendation.

Anyone out there in the peanut gallery that has a good hotel recommendation feel free to shoot it out. Times Square would be ideal but again our budget dictates under $200/night the lower the better if possible.

Check Trip Advisor, it looks like Hampton Inn Time Square North and Hilton Garden Inn Time Square both have rooms for under $200. Of course it all depends upon when you go.

Let me know how the hotel is, we are still looking for hotels and could use a good recommendation.

Anyone out there in the peanut gallery that has a good hotel recommendation feel free to shoot it out. Times Square would be ideal but again our budget dictates under $200/night the lower the better if possible.

I'll let you know. My brother is there already and says it's nice but request a higher floor because of the road noise (he lives in a house far from any roads though so he might be overly sensitive).

While it is on the east side, I lived in this hotel for a year when I first got to NYC and it is very convenient for subway and bus routes and is pretty nice for the money.

Unsupported Browser

I don't think you will have any problem finding rooms under $200 a night during that time of year. You will find that the Times Square hotels are noisy 24x7 and very bright if the curtains aren't good.

Most of my friends like to stay down in the Village for the better nightlife and food. While out of your price range, Chelsea Hotel is some place that everyone should stay at least once in their lives.

Chelsea Hotel: Manhattan New York boutique hotels near Times Square Union Square Central Park and Greenwich Village NYC vacations

The Embassy Suites in Battery Park City has some decent rates: New York Hotel Accommodations - NY - Embassy Suites Hotels New York

Nothing fancy, but it's not bad. It can be a pain in the ass to get around from BPC these days, though, due to the fact that the entire area is under construction (e.g., Goldman Sachs, WTC, new condos). But it's near Tribeca and you'd be near me!

Thanks for all the reccomendations guys. We had a good time. Ate at Del Frisco's and it was nice, rest of my party had sea food which I think was a poor choice. Oh well

The Hilton Garden Inn Times Square was great, 1 block from Time's square but far enough away to be relatively quiet. Had a gym and a pretty good attached restaurant for breakfast. Walking distance to pretty much anything (depending on how much walking you want to do).

Got this today:

$159 -- NYC 4-Star Hotel in Times Square w/Upgrade

New York City Hotels: $159 -- NYC 4-Star Hotel in Times Square w/Upgrade | Travelzoo

Source: Millennium Broadway Hotel

Plus this:

>>> DESTINATION: NEW YORK CITY - Top Reasons to Go Now >>>

+ Jump on the Manhattan Bandwagon

- Hot Deals to the Most Popular U.S Travel Destination

+ Flights to NYC (Roundtrip) ... $109 & up

+ Grand Opening of Times Square-Area Hotel ... $99

+ Best Seats to Longest-Running Broadway Show ... $66.50

and more ...

Visit New York City Travel Deals: Airfare, Hotels, Vacations & More | Travelzoo

Didn't check them out though.

• 4 weeks later...

Waiting at terminal ohare as we speak, so excited!

Staying at best western times square 48th and 8th.

Still looking for a nice steak place that the wife will find "romantic" for v-day. Peter luger's is out, hoping del friscos is more her style.

Definitely need to hi up katz's, which I believe is lower east side. Chinatown a must.

We're doing the free staten ferry thing as well, should be fun.

Broadway - we're going to try and hit up those hottix booths early saturday.

Jazz?

That's where we are at.