Preamp with at least 1 balanced in, 1 balanced out, and one balanced loop/tape out?

tyrion

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two sound very different. The Aesthetix is brighter and airier and tipped from the lower midrange up in balance, with a little better soundstage depth. The BAT will be a little darker and have a fuller, bigger, more fleshed out sound, with some of the best bass out there but not as resolving up top. The BAT is MUCH quieter than the Aesthetix. I had both here for close to a month and sent the Aesthetix (calypso) back and kept the 31SE.

This is not to say the Aesthetix is bright or the BAT dark, just in comparison to each other.

Your audition was certainly longer than mine and mine was not in my system. I did not mean to indicate they sounded exactly the same only that they were competing for attention in the same neighborhood and it was a pretty nice neighborhood.

Your audition was certainly longer than mine and mine was not in my system. I did not mean to indicate they sounded exactly the same only that they were competing for attention in the same neighborhood and it was a pretty nice neighborhood.

Thats how i took your post. Sorry if mine came across different than it was intended. My reply was mainly to Mike about the differences in sound and presentation.

Mike, how is the amount of gain in your system? Is an active preamp the correct piece to the puzzle?

Here are the specs of my current preamp, which is a Berendsen Pre 1 SE:

Inputs: 5 line RCA

Outputs: 2 tape, 2 main RCA

Record selector switch: Yes

Remote-control function for volume: Yes

Bandwidth (-3 dB): 1.5 Hz - 200 kHz

Slew rate: 25 V/

Mike knowing your specs for your power amp, speakers, DAC (or CDP), cartridge and phono would help if you are thinking about the passive route.

if he has to have a remote, that sorta limits things... The Bent Audio Tap-X that meets the requirements including remote, is $2250 new I believe. I don't think a MicroTAP would, due to the loop out requirement, but I admit to never really knowing how those work (toslink controller? wtf?).

Here are the McCormack specs:

Rated power output: 150Wpc RMS into 8 ohms (21.8dBW), 300Wpc RMS into 4 ohms (21.8dBW), 500Wpc RMS into 2 ohms (21.0dBW) (bandwidth and distortion not specified). Output current: 50A peak per channel. Input impedance: 100k ohms. Input sensitivity: 1.2V. Frequency response: -3dB at 0.5Hz and 250kHz. Rise time:

Edited by tyrion

Response to your offer?

The guy was not willing to negotiate. After looking at the blue book, the price appears high. The avg is about $1800 but the last was $1500 and low $1300. This is an older unit so the average is probably factoring sales from years earlier (release in '98).