Preamp with at least 1 balanced in, 1 balanced out, and one balanced loop/tape out?

tyrion

With the PerfectWave on the way, I now have a balanced source. My KGSS is balanced as is my McCormack DNA 1 (will be shipped for repairs Monday). I'm looking for a pre that will allow me to go balanced out to the McCormack and use a balanced loop out to the KGSS. The only one I can find in the under $2000 price range is the BAT VK-5i. Wyred 4 Sound has a preamp with 2 balanced outs. I emailed them to see if they could make one of them a loop or tape out. I know that BAT gear is supposed to be excellent so it is a possibility. I am curious if someone else knows of any other in the under $2000 range.

Thanks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pass Labs X2.5. You'd have to find one used. The newer Pass preamps do not have a balanced loop out.

http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/old%20product%20manuals/x2.5_om.pdf

EDIT: Looks like the Aleph-P would work too. Those come up on A'gon quite often.

http://www.hififever.com/forum/files/apman_134.pdf

Edited by Hopstretch

Go with the BAT. They sound great, have a fairly low output so they match up with a variety of amps, and very reliable. If you can hold out I like the 31SE alot and they pop up around your price range. They are a little more flexible as far as inputs and outputs than the 5i. The 5i seem to resell faster though, in case you dont want to keep it. Plus they sound great with cheap tubes.

I think you can also get an Aesthetix Calypso on Audiogon in that price range. I haven't heard them in a while but last time I did I thought they performed on about the same level as the BAT preamps.

Agreed, but I think the 3-series BAT is a steal at the typical sale prices. The 3ix is the one I'd pit against the A C.

I think you can also get an Aesthetix Calypso on Audiogon in that price range. I haven't heard them in a while but last time I did I thought they performed on about the same level as the BAT preamps.

These two sound very different. The Aesthetix is brighter and airier and tipped from the lower midrange up in balance, with a little better soundstage depth. The BAT will be a little darker and have a fuller, bigger, more fleshed out sound, with some of the best bass out there but not as resolving up top. The BAT is MUCH quieter than the Aesthetix. I had both here for close to a month and sent the Aesthetix (calypso) back and kept the 31SE.

This is not to say the Aesthetix is bright or the BAT dark, just in comparison to each other.

Thanks for the input. I would love to spend less than $2000, if possible so will look at the Aleph P as a possibility. I hadn't thought about a GSX. I would love to have a remote which would rule out the GSX, it's over my price range and I have the b22. From what I recalll, I thought the b22 was probably not the best candidate for a preamp.

I made an offer on the BAT VK-5i.

Edited by tyrion

Sell all that useless headphone gear and join your west coast brethren :cool:

Doshi Alaap II For Sale | AudiogoN

Why would somebody buy a piece like that, wait for it to be built, etc, and then sell it within a month? I mean, I know I am in a Mike thread here, but he would never do something quite like that. I don't understand the thought process.