The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I don't want anything that sounds remotely like 404, tried it, didn't like it. Anyway Larry, I only have a SRD-7Mk2 to run stats. Plus, I only have one K1k left as I traded the other for a Beta 22.

That's okay, I just traded the O2 Mk1 for your old K1000 from the guy who who got them from you. :cool:

Now I will have to do the rest of Spritzer's mods and plug the O2 Mk2 bass port, but the O2 Mk2 sound nothing like any of the Lambdas I have heard (normal, pro and signature). I suppose I should try to hear a 404 someday. Then I suppose I should re-cable the Jade and I'll be all set. :P

I think the treble on the two is pretty similar, and slightly less bright than the Jade, ESP950 or HE60 (and even less bright than an SR-Lambda). But, after a few minutes with them on the head, the brain fills in the treble just fine after it acclimates.

With Spritzer's earpad spring mod the mids pull back and are not as forward, but still not quite as natural/neutral as the Mk1 mids. The Mk1 bass also extends a little deeper, and where the Mk2 seems flat to 31Hz and 3-4dB down at 25Hz the Mk1 waits till 20Hz to be 3-4dB down. Spritzer thinks the roll-off might be due to my Woo GES, but I don't know.

With Spritzer's earpad spring mod the mids pull back and are not as forward, but still not quite as natural/neutral as the Mk1 mids. The Mk1 bass also extends a little deeper, and where the Mk2 seems flat to 31Hz and 3-4dB down at 25Hz the Mk1 waits till 20Hz to be 3-4dB down. Spritzer thinks the roll-off might be due to my Woo GES, but I don't know.

You are using output caps which will limit the bandwidth of the amp.

HeadphoneAddict, how is the treble of the O2 Mk2 compared to your other stats and compared to the Mk1?

*Raises hand* *Waving frantically*

"Me, me, call on me!"

...Nothing...

Oh, well, I guess he's only asking HeadphoneAddict. I can't understand why anyone would want to ask someone called "HeadphoneAddict" anything. I mean, dude, he's addicted to headphones. What would you expect some addict to say?

Got the Sigma pads thanks Birgir :dan: They don't work as a drop in replacement, too thin, but using them as a spacer between the driver and the Lambda pads it turns out is a good thing, better fit and comfort, and more cohesion in the sound, the bass is no longer like its always coming from slightly behind the head. The drivers also aren't so notably bright without the filter this way either, more a matter of taste than necessity.

*Insert O2 killer in the making remark* :dance:

It's leather!!!!! ;)

The Mk2 is slightly more forward then the Mk1 so the treble is a bit more expressive but it's by no means a big difference.

Every little difference adds up, though, as I'm sure you know, and I like my treble lively and extended very far. I think I'm going to like the O2 Mk2, should I ever choose to buy a pair. The only problem is the issue of bass, specifically mid-bass. I don't like heavy and thick bass, especially if it's to the point of woolyness. Maybe I'll try the bluetak port mod if I do.

Also, the O2 Mk2 is probably still a monster to drive. I wonder if runeight's electrostatic amp will be able to drive them decently well. I should certainly hope so.

:o O2 killer!!!!

...;)

:blink:

Every little difference adds up, though, as I'm sure you know, and I like my treble lively and extended very far. I think I'm going to like the O2 Mk2, should I ever choose to buy a pair. The only problem is the issue of bass, specifically mid-bass. I don't like heavy and thick bass, especially if it's to the point of woolyness. Maybe I'll try the bluetak port mod if I do.

The Mk1 has never lacked any treble to my ears and is a welcome break from all those transducers out to impress with an exaggerated treble. The is almost identical but the slightly more forward nature makes it better for more upbeat music as the bass has a just a bit more attack after they have been modified.

Also, the O2 Mk2 is probably still a monster to drive. I wonder if runeight's electrostatic amp will be able to drive them decently well. I should certainly hope so.

With the followers then the amp could have a chance of driving the 007's but it simply remains to be seen.

Er, well, since HeadphoneAddict doesn't seem to be responding; maybe he's suffering from some kind of headphone withdrawal right now, screaming and drooling, due to not having listened to a headphone in more than 3 hours...

I don't think the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 have lively and extended very far treble. People can claim that the O2's treble is fine, and perfect, and that's of course a valid opinion. But the fact remains that the O2's are comparatively, relatively, darker than most other headphones. This includes their treble, which doesn't have the sparkle and crispness and extendedness of some other headphones such as the HE60, HE90, Jade, and also other Stax such as the 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1.

I'm using an SP ES1 and Aristaeus, and used to own a KGSS. I also have an SRM-T1W and have heard the 007tII and 727, but not the 717. So maybe a Blue Hawaii, which I haven't heard, will brighten up the O2's and increase treble sparkle.

But if you plan to drive either O2 with a Stax amp or an ES-1, KGSS or Aristaeus, and you really like sparkly extended treble, I would suggest at least trying another headphone and doing a comparison vs. the O2.

The O2Mk1 earpads are pleather! Even if they're real, the Mk2 pads are better!

Now I better go hide for a while, in case the Mafia is watching.