The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I just measured the male WPI connector. It varies by 5%, in that the pins are 5% closer to the center. Interestingly enough, each pin is 0.2" away from it's closest neighbor, center-to-center. Now to decode Spritzer's results.

Not surprising as the WPI stuff is a tight fit.

nah, then we wouldn't have the joy of answering upteen PMs about this if it was in concise form somewhere.

Sad but true. We really wouldn't feel this wanted without all those emails... ;)

Since there is no established numerical system for the Stax jack, what is pin 1? :-[

2      5

3  4

Edit. Can't get the code to function correctly so this will have to do.

Like this or something different? Anyway, using the above system then each pin is 2.35mm wide and the distance (measured outer edge to outer edge) of pin 1 to pins 2 and 5 is between 10 and 10.05mm. Pin 2 to pin 5 is roughly 13.23-13.25mm. Pin 2 to 3 and pin 5 to pin 4 is roughly 7.77-7.80mm. Pin 3-4 gives me 7.81-7.84mm. The only 6 pin connector I have is on the SR-1 and while it fits alright, the odds are it has been bent a bit in the last 40+ years.

yeah, your numbers vary a bit from mine. I'm surprised you see any variance from pin3-4 and pin2-3 and pin5-4, I do see a little, but I think that's just variance in the plug construction. The trick is that the line that passes through the two pins under measurements must be perpendicular to the calipers, or you're measurement will be off a bit. How about 7.86mm for this measurement (pin3-4,pin2-3,pin5-4), how does that look? Also, I get 2.39mm for the pin width, so this could just be calibration error between our calipers.

I just measured two plugs (both Wide PC-OCC type) and I never see numbers that high. The highest I saw was 7.82mm and down to 7.72 so there is either something off with the calipers or some variation in the molding process.

looks like our calipers are ~0.06mm off from each other. Thanks, this was very helpful!

oh one more thing, do you happen to have a 3.5mm diameter drill bit? perhaps you could measure the diameter of that for me as well :)

Edited by luvdunhill

Dusty Chalk: thanks for the reply!!

I know lots and lots of you prefer the KGSS to the standard Stax amps. I have heard of ES-1 and several other amps but I assume they are no longer available from new, right?

Is HeadAmp the best place to get the KGSS from? I know NOTHING about DIY electronics :confused: so I need to buy rather than build. Does anyone else make them or are there any "special" versions out there than can be bought?

Thanks, sorry if I seem a bit "out of it", the technical stuff is beyond me but if I'm going to spend the money I really do want the best I can get for the price ;D

Lets go with "no" on that one. Thats probably easiest.
Seconded.
If anyone can let me know whether Headamp is the place to go to order the KGSS (or viable alternatives) I will be forever grateful !!!!
Headamp is your best choice, if you know nothing about DIY and don't want to have to worry about quality control. I'm pretty sure there isn't any commercial alternative, although you could always commission someone to build it, but then you have to worry about quality control, hence the earlier statement.

And: forever is a long time, I'll settle for a couple seconds.