The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Took the cage off the transformer. No make/model markings. Pictures as best I can take of the interior later.

Ok, no markings then. What you can do is to look at the wires which come from the AC input and into the transformer. If the voltage is switchable then you have 4 wires grouped together (could be more) which are then tied to the AC input in some way. For 230v the two center wires are connected together and the other two tied to the AC.

It seems not. One input wire runs to the fuse and then to the transformer. the other runs to the on/off switch and then to the transformer. There are however two pairs of wires which run out of the transformer. Red/Yellow and Blue/Grey. These seem to be bridged. Series or parallel I can't tell atm.

I don't think the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 have lively and extended very far treble. People can claim that the O2's treble is fine, and perfect, and that's of course a valid opinion. But the fact remains that the O2's are comparatively, relatively, darker than most other headphones. This includes their treble, which doesn't have the sparkle and crispness and extendedness of some other headphones such as the HE60, HE90, Jade, and also other Stax such as the 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1.

That's what I was afraid of hearing. Maybe I also just enjoy hyped-up treble. I've heard the O2 MkI only once, and only for a few minutes, and only at a meet. The one thing I do remember from it besides sounding effortless is being dark. Back then I didn't really know the wonders of the electrostatic sound, since I just owned some AKGs, so I thought my impressions might have been off.

What doesn't make sense to me is why even Stax themselves would make their Lambdas and whatever older discontinued models with roughly the same brightness and then make the Omega 2, their top of the line headphone, noticeably darker. Looks like I'd have to audition a pair of Omega 2 (Mk1 and/or Mk2) before buying, since it's a huge purchase for me.

When someone says something is dark or bright, I always take age into consideration as well. Like it or not, the ability to hear high frequencies does diminish with age ;)

I can hear the treble of the SR-007 MK1 extend up as far as I can hear (~18 Khz or there about).

Then there are headphones like the SR-404 that have a upper mid/low treble boost, that gives them the illusion of being well extended, but frankly I doubt it extended past 14 KHz (or the SRM-313 was just a really junk amp that severely limited FR extension).

Maybe I also just enjoy hyped-up treble.
Yes, I like crystal clear and super crisp treble too. But be careful, you'll need a good source, which can be expensive. IME, good sources are needed for the crystal treble plus the delivery of all the shimmering details without harshness or fatigue over time. Treble with crispness and precision, plus smoothness and liquidity, can be extremely addictive. The search for these qualities, and others such as sweet midrange, great bass, etc. can lead down the crazy audiophile path.

When someone says something is dark or bright, I always take age into consideration as well. Like it or not, the ability to hear high frequencies does diminish with age ;)

Yes, I agree that we each have differing standards based on our hearing, age, etc. other factors. But I'm saying that the O2's are comparatively darker than other headphones, including less emphasized treble. This is true no matter who's listening and I don't think many people disagree with me.

To those who think the O2's are not dark, many other headphones will be too bright. IMO, this quite limits their choices. Other Stax are too bright, including SR-Omega, and also HE60, HE90, Jade. Most Grados are out, especially RS-1 and PS-1. Ouch, those harsh grainy highs! :P The Qualia and R10 and SA5000 are out. W5000 and K1000 too. Maybe also the HP-2, K701 and DT990, DT880.

The L3000, W11JPN, JVC DX1000, Denon D7000, HD650 and HD600 would be closer to the O2 reference. Although I can't imagine Spritzer listening to an Audio-Technica, for some reason. :D

It's part of the O2's strength, contributing to their refined sound. But if one likes a brighter presentation and a bit more treble emphasis, the O2's would not be my top choice. I would suggest the HE60 or Jade, or the Airbow SR-SC1. Of course, the system is also a factor, and I might be wrong based on certain sources or amp matching.

Edited by Elephas

Then there are headphones like the SR-404 that have a upper mid/low treble boost, that gives them the illusion of being well extended, but frankly I doubt it extended past 14 KHz (or the SRM-313 was just a really junk amp that severely limited FR extension).

Wow, I'm pretty sure it's just that the amp is a pile of shit. In my experience the SR-Lambda and Lambda Pro definitely extend to the limits of my hearing, which is around 20kHz, although the Lambda does roll off faster.

Also, I've found that humps in FR mask extension. For example, the O2 Mk2, from what I've read, has more midbass which covers up the low bass and makes you think it doesn't extend as far. Same thing probably applies to the boost in upper mids/lower treble of the SR-404.

Edit: Actually, I thought the 313 was a decent amp, from what I've read. Strange. I use an SRM-1/Mk2.

It's part of the O2's strength, contributing to their refined sound. But if one likes a brighter presentation and a bit more treble emphasis, the O2's would not be my top choice. I would suggest the HE60 or Jade, or the Airbow SR-SC1. Of course, the system is also a factor, and I might be wrong based on certain sources or amp matching.

But the Jade has no soundstage depth, and a bunch of other problems. I like the HE60 so no argument there.

Airbow SR-SC, no comment since I haven't heard it, but I loath the SR-404 ;D

To those who think the O2's are not dark, many other headphones will be too bright. IMO, this quite limits their choices. Other Stax are too bright, including SR-Omega, and also HE60, HE90, Jade. Most Grados are out, especially RS-1 and PS-1. Ouch, those harsh grainy highs! :P The Qualia and R10 and SA5000 are out. W5000 and K1000 too. Maybe also the HP-2, K701 and DT990, DT880.

Let me pick through your list :P

Jade, RS-1, K1000, HP-2, all of those headphones have good treble IMO. Not bright if matched in a good system. The others I agree with you or haven't owned/borrowed.

Edited by deepak

Er, well, since HeadphoneAddict doesn't seem to be responding; maybe he's suffering from some kind of headphone withdrawal right now, screaming and drooling, due to not having listened to a headphone in more than 3 hours...

I don't think the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 have lively and extended very far treble. People can claim that the O2's treble is fine, and perfect, and that's of course a valid opinion. But the fact remains that the O2's are comparatively, relatively, darker than most other headphones. This includes their treble, which doesn't have the sparkle and crispness and extendedness of some other headphones such as the HE60, HE90, Jade, and also other Stax such as the 4070 and Airbow SR-SC1.

I'm using an SP ES1 and Aristaeus, and used to own a KGSS. I also have an SRM-T1W and have heard the 007tII and 727, but not the 717. So maybe a Blue Hawaii, which I haven't heard, will brighten up the O2's and increase treble sparkle.

But if you plan to drive either O2 with a Stax amp or an ES-1, KGSS or Aristaeus, and you really like sparkly extended treble, I would suggest at least trying another headphone and doing a comparison vs. the O2.

The O2Mk1 earpads are pleather! Even if they're real, the Mk2 pads are better!

Now I better go hide for a while, in case the Mafia is watching.

I'm pretty sure I posted my thoughts on the treble a couple of days ago. I won't argue with your comments at all, other than if the O2 is the first phone I pick up to listen to that the brain adjusts to the slightly decreased treble quickly and fills it in. Naamanf's KGBH did not change the nature of the treble other than to give everything a slightly faster attack or aggressiveness which it also imparted to the bass (not necessarily in a bad way, just different).

But the fact of the matter is you basically agree that not only is it darker than many other headphones, it is darker than your perception of neutral. Obviously your perception of it will adjust and "fill in the treble" after awhile since that's what brains do. Not trying to harp on this issue at all, I just want to get an idea if the O2 is for me. I read your previous post and wouldn't really want any headphone that is less bright than the SR-Lambda or ESP-950.

^ I found that the OII MKI and MKII were both less bright than the SR-Lambda that I formerly owned. Only marginally so, but still a noticeable difference to my ears.

I'm also in agreement with Elephas about the overall signature of both OIIs. While I wouldn't really call either "dark" sounding, neither has a treble tilt, which is what I prefer.

Qualia 010 with Apogee DAC was less bright than SR-007 Mk1 with 717 and 840c. Far, far less bright. A well-fitting 010 is pretty damn neutral aside from that weird midrange tone. On that note, the K1k in general is also a lot less bright than the 007/840c combo, and I think the K1k is a bit on the bright side overall.

Yes, I agree that the SR-007 has less emphasized highs than a lot of the competition out of some systems. However, a) I agree with Spritzer that too many headphones boost highs in an attempt to make up for missing detail and dynamic range, and B) the SR-007 can sound very, very bright if that's how your signal path sounds. The SR-007 is more revealing than anything out there and its tonal balance swings both ways in an instant - that is, if your amplification is up to par, since without enough power it will be dark with loose, bloated bass no matter what you source it from.

and B) the SR-007 can sound very, very bright if that's how your signal path sounds. The SR-007 is more revealing than anything out there and its tonal balance swings both ways in an instant - that is, if your amplification is up to par, since without enough power it will be dark with loose, bloated bass no matter what you source it from.

I noticed this when I had my KGSS DX working. The brightness really surprised me (as did the even deeper bass). In fact, I was so surprised by it, that I am reconsidering my decision to keep my north star m192 over my Electrocompaniet ECD-1. I think with the ss amp in the path, the warmer DAC may be necessary.

I noticed this when I had my KGSS DX working. The brightness really surprised me (as did the even deeper bass). In fact, I was so surprised by it, that I am reconsidering my decision to keep my north star m192 over my Electrocompaniet ECD-1. I think with the ss amp in the path, the warmer DAC may be necessary.

So am I right in assuming that the m192 is a better match than the ECD-1 for the 007 when it's driven by a strong-enough SS amp?

I'm going to be switching to an all-PC listening setup when I get my new machine, and keeping the Opus 21 seems like a waste of money even if I use the digital input. So, I'm thinking of listing it and getting a DAC that's $2k or less, and can either keep up with the Opus for less or outperform it for the same dough. M192 is an option, and the new Ayre QB-9 DAC looks mighty interesting if it ever comes out.

Naamanf's KGBH did not change the nature of the treble other than to give everything a slightly faster attack or aggressiveness which it also imparted to the bass (not necessarily in a bad way, just different).

Aaaaah, oh no! :(

I was hoping that the KGBH will brighten up and increase treble aggressiveness a bit. Not too much, just a little bit would be enough. Then I could consider selling the HE90 and SR-Omega. And maybe request a member name change to Spritzer v2. :P

Compared to the Aristaeus, the ES-1 has increased dynamics and makes the O2's more energetic and less laid-back, with more treble energy and some more brightness overall.

This is already with some attempts at tube-rolling on both amps, for example, Sylvania 5751 instead of 12AX7 on the Aristaeus, and Tung-Sol 2C51, Sylvania 6SN7 metal base and Mullard EL34 instead of WE 396A, Ken-Rad 6SN7 and GE 6CA7 on the ES-1. This is probably useless info to most people, but I mention it because tube changes make some differences.

I literally just got my electrostatic Floats minutes ago. First impressions: the bass really rattles the frame, it's crazy. The treble is really sharp, for some reason... definitely too much. Also, the foams that the guy put in are pretty bad quality and the ones he glued to the insides for the back of the head are horribly stiff and glued horribly.