The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

I don't know of any way to touch up the metal work since this a coating.

I find the Mk2 pads comfortable on the Mk2 but that's not the case on the Mk1. They are so stiff that they need the stronger elastic on the Mk2's to make them sit properly. Now I remeber why I put foam from Mk1 pads inside the new ones... :palm:

Third times the charm eh... anyway here are some pics of the new SR-404 Limited edition. :)

This for the link! The leather pads look thicker and the headband looks improved -- both good things.

I ordered these a week ago from PriceJapan.com and they said about four weeks for delivery. We'll see if they come though.

This for the link! The leather pads look thicker and the headband looks improved -- both good things.

I ordered these a week ago from PriceJapan.com and they said about four weeks for delivery. We'll see if they come though.

Other than the color change, the headband looks exactly the same to me. :confused:

Dead sexy. They better not sell out of them until I have enough money to buy one. Unless Birgir finds they sound like crap, aka same as stock SR-404.

The drivers look to be the same and while the thicker earpad material will boost the bass, it may also increase the ear/driver distance which makes all the midrange issues even worse. Now if Stax did man up and make special drivers for the LE (which aren't so fucking forward) then it could be a very good headphone.

I wonder how difficult to set the voltage of the 007t to 117v? I'm having one coming from Jap but not sure if it's already set.

Unless the seller set the voltage (highly unlikely) then it is still configured for 100v. As for changing it, it ranges from easy to almost impossible and there is no way to know until you have the unit open in front of you.

Other than the color change, the headband looks exactly the same to me. :confused:

I'm guessing he meant the headpad which is just a version of the same SR-404 item. The older pads are more comfortable on my head at least.

The drivers look to be the same and while the thicker earpad material will boost the bass, it may also increase the ear/driver distance which makes all the midrange issues even worse. Now if Stax did man up and make special drivers for the LE (which aren't so fucking forward) then it could be a very good headphone.

Maybe they just glued them properly in place :P

You're right! I didn't study Birgir's pics enough.:palm:

http://earsp.web.fc2.com/lineup/sr404limited/sr404lsrlamp_jpg_view.htm

The Stax on the right with the narrower arc is an earlier Lambda that looks like my long-gone Lambda Pro. My 404 Signature and 202 Basic have the same headband configuration as the 404 Limited.

In any event, I'm most interested in seeing whether the changes to the Limited will bring any meaningful improvement to the 404 Signature.;D

If the 404-LE cable is better than the standard 404/007 cable, should we take bets on how long it is before our beloved Icelandic loony puts it on his 007?

Stax were obviously thinking future cable upgrades for the SR-Omega, odd that didn't carry over to the O2.

Now Doug, that's not a bad idea. Perhaps I should bitch and moan until they make me a special SR-Omega cable from the new wire... :D

and damped them with rice paper? :P

...and some felt. :) I will rip the drivers apart though if just to one-up my Japanese counterparts.

Maybe it'll soon be time for SR-007 MkII LE. I don't know how they could make it more black, though.

They could make the resin which encapsulates the drivers black. It would be a horrible idea though since most black coloring agents contain carbon and that doesn't mix well with high voltage. There are numerous horror stories about all those that have decided to paint the stators on their ESL57's black... :palm: