The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Ha, so now there are two Stax models with real leather earpads.

The pleather pads are actually not bad, I think the 4070, Airbow SR-SC1 and SR-007 pads are quite smooth and comfortable.

But real leather is real leather.

Hmmm so I guess it is elephant bashing time??!!?? ;D There are some SR-007A earpads sitting in customs now and I can show you just how much pleather those Mk1 pads really are...

Oh, no, don't poke me with the hammer, please, no! Especially with a two inch long, cheap plastic, probably made in Taiwan, tourist trap "authentic replica" mjolnir. I'm so scared.

Look at the Mk1 pads. Feel the Mk1 pads with your grubby humanoid paws. Touch them.

Then do the same with 4070 and SR-404 pads. Feel the similarity?

Don't tell me that your clumsy fingers aren't as sensitive as my trunk.

Elephas, I look foward to your impressions of the BHSE compared to your ES-1. I also look foward to spritzers impressions with his SR-007s.(especially pictures since your amp will have silver:p)

Im hoping the BHSE will be the amp that gets most out of the way sonically. The tremendous power that the BHSE is capable of should be able to allow the O2s that I own to function at their highest potential. (Im hoping) that this will create highly distinguished tonal contrasts, attenuations, reverberations, diffusions, textural details, etc. within the recording that I listen to. I do not want a "musical" sounding amp, but an amp that derives musicality from the recording itself. My favorite headphones are the O2s because to me they are simply the most focused headphone i've ever listened too. My musical appreciation comes in the awareness of details and focus in my music. These are the traits that become "musical" to me.

I long to hear the effortless sound of my O2s right now. :sadcat:

Wow, you guys are really intent on turning this into a worthless thread eh? I give up, go about your business endlessly discussing leather/pleather whatever you want. But the first one of you that bitches about a worthless post on Head-Fi is going to get whacked with the banstick.

Wow, someone's bitchiness quotient is high. As far as I can tell, no one has continued talking about the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 earpads.

All right, all right, we won't talk about anything having to do with earpads anymore.

Elephas, I look foward to your impressions of the BHSE compared to your ES-1. I also look foward to spritzers impressions with his SR-007s

We already know what Spritzer's impressions of the O2Mk1 + BHSE is going to be. Best headphone ever! Best sound! Perfect! ;)

I've been very pleased with the ES-1. I know Single Power's reputation is in the tank, and it seems that few people are buying new or used SP amps recently. I haven't had any problems and it drives all my electrostats very nicely. I've actually been thinking of canceling my BHSE order, even though I've been waiting since late 2007 and it appears to be almost ready to ship. I feel that I'm "done" with the ES-1 and I'm not sure another electrostatic amp, even one supposedly as good as the BHSE, will be able to improve upon it. And even if the BHSE does drive the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 better, I doubt it will also do better with the HE90, HE60 and Jade. One thing I really like is using the ES-1's 45-step attenuators. I counted, and there's actually only 44 steps, though.

I also have an Aristaeus, and it is a superb match with the HE90. The ES-1 does have greater dynamics and details, but I'm not sure it is better than the Aristaeus when driving the HE90. They're different, not necessarily better. The Aristaeus has a smoothness and liquidity the ES-1 can't match, even when it's using the same 12AX7-type tubes.

I've been very pleased with the ES-1. I know Single Power's reputation is in the tank, and it seems that few people are buying new or used SP amps recently. I haven't had any problems and it drives all my electrostats very nicely. I've actually been thinking of canceling my BHSE order, even though I've been waiting since late 2007 and it appears to be almost ready to ship. I feel that I'm "done" with the ES-1 and I'm not sure another electrostatic amp, even one supposedly as good as the BHSE, will be able to improve upon it.
I've heard both, and you're getting at that level where it's not so much that one is better than the other, so much as which one aligns with your tastes more. They're not very different -- I mean, c'mon, they're both "best ever" type amps -- but there might be subtle differences between the two, especially with multiple electrostatics, that might make you prefer one or the other with a certain pair of earspeakers. You should wait until you get it and then decide.

It's really good -- you should at least hear it.

No problem Elephas, if you end up disliking the BHSE drop me a PM ;D hahaha.

Now seriously, I don't doubt the ES-1 is sounding superb with your electrostats and you hesitate anything can drive them any better. However that's something most of us have thought at any time of most of our high level amps, and this lasts until something better crosses our ways. Anyway, you'll have a lot easier time selling the BHSE than the ES-1.

The BHSE is so far ahead of the ES-1 in terms of design that it's not even funny. And the build quality and workmanship of Justin's builds is so far ahead of Mikhail's it's not even funny. Of course, I've never heard the BHSE and have extremely limited impressions with the ES-1 so I can't comment on sound. Couldn't you ask Justin if it's possible to put in a 45 step attenuator?

Wow, someone's bitchiness quotient is high. As far as I can tell, no one has continued talking about the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 earpads.
Not really, no, but after 4 months of off and on pad talk I've had my fill.

I've actually been thinking of canceling my BHSE order, even though I've been waiting since late 2007 and it appears to be almost ready to ship.
Knowing how much of a fan of the MKII's you are I think it'd be in your interest to stay the course. Of course it's not my $$ so that's easy for me to say. I'd think that with the BHSE and Aristaeus you'd be as close to the best of all worlds it'd be truly frightening.

We already know what Spritzer's impressions of the O2Mk1 + BHSE is going to be. Best headphone ever! Best sound! Perfect! ;)

Me fully content with my rig?? I don't think that will ever happen... :( The BH I'm building could edge out the BHSE (at least on paper with S22 for the +/-15v, upgraded PSU with massive Plitrons, all silver wiring etc.) but only prolonged head-to-head testing will determine that.

I've been very pleased with the ES-1. I know Single Power's reputation is in the tank, and it seems that few people are buying new or used SP amps recently. I haven't had any problems and it drives all my electrostats very nicely. I've actually been thinking of canceling my BHSE order, even though I've been waiting since late 2007 and it appears to be almost ready to ship. I feel that I'm "done" with the ES-1 and I'm not sure another electrostatic amp, even one supposedly as good as the BHSE, will be able to improve upon it. And even if the BHSE does drive the O2Mk1 and O2Mk2 better, I doubt it will also do better with the HE90, HE60 and Jade. One thing I really like is using the ES-1's 45-step attenuators. I counted, and there's actually only 44 steps, though.

I also have an Aristaeus, and it is a superb match with the HE90. The ES-1 does have greater dynamics and details, but I'm not sure it is better than the Aristaeus when driving the HE90. They're different, not necessarily better. The Aristaeus has a smoothness and liquidity the ES-1 can't match, even when it's using the same 12AX7-type tubes.

I would hang in there and just sell off some of those inferior dynamic headphones instead. If you end up preferring the ES-1 then the BHSE should sell in less then a day and you loose next to nothing. The rub is though if the ES-1 doesn't come out on top then you have something that's worth next to nothing on the used market... :-\

I would hang in there and just sell off some of those inferior dynamic headphones instead. If you end up preferring the ES-1 then the BHSE should sell in less then a day and you loose next to nothing. The rub is though if the ES-1 doesn't come out on top then you have something that's worth next to nothing on the used market... :-\
Yeah, but notice that wasn't his plan.

The BHSE is so far ahead of the ES-1 in terms of design that it's not even funny. And the build quality and workmanship of Justin's builds is so far ahead of Mikhail's it's not even funny. Of course, I've never heard the BHSE and have extremely limited impressions with the ES-1 so I can't comment on sound. Couldn't you ask Justin if it's possible to put in a 45 step attenuator?
Also, repairs will be easier (should anything accidentally happen to the amp), since Justin will in most likelihood still be in business.

how are you counting? if you start all the way to the left, that counts as the first step. Then after 1 click, that's the second step, and so on...

Wouldn't you go all the way to the right (no attenuation) and then count each click to the left from there?

Also, repairs will be easier (should anything accidentally happen to the amp), since Justin will in most likelihood still be in business.

Actually, that makes it harder. It's a long way to send back to Justin. It should be easy to find a competent tech locally to fix the ES-1.

Just get the RK-50. It definitely fits.