The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Moar better sounding is good, but not if it is too uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time. The Yammy HP-1 is the only supra that I have had good luck with in that regards.

A SR-X Mk3 Pro with new pads isn't that uncomfortable but the damn headband is unpadded so some decent amount of hair helps... :D

Just wondering, can someone explain the differences between the Lambda Nova Sig, Classic, and basic, and same question for the numeric Lambdas (SR404-202). Also, what the heck is a Lambda Spirit?

The Basic models use a more simple driver and the old OFC cable while the Classic has the upgraded driver and the normal width PC-OCC cable with Signature using the Wide PC-OCC cable. The Lambda Spirit replaced the Lambda Pro and was the original Basic model. It was called Pro Classic here in the West and used a 1.5um diaphragm (don't know about the stators) but used the Gamma style arc to save costs.

A SR-X Mk3 Pro with new pads isn't that uncomfortable but the damn headband is unpadded so some decent amount of hair helps... :D

The Basic models use a more simple driver and the old OFC cable while the Classic has the upgraded driver and the normal width PC-OCC cable with Signature using the Wide PC-OCC cable. The Lambda Spirit replaced the Lambda Pro and was the original Basic model. It was called Pro Classic here in the West and used a 1.5um diaphragm (don't know about the stators) but used the Gamma style arc to save costs.

Would I be correct in assuming the classics and signatures sound similar, but the basics sound a good bit different than either? I almost went for that Y20000 Lambda Nova basic last night, though I assumed it had SR202 drivers inside, as I am told the auction text stated that the drivers and pads were replaced in the past year.

Would I be correct in assuming the classics and signatures sound similar, but the basics sound a good bit different than either? I almost went for that Y20000 Lambda Nova basic last night, though I assumed it had SR202 drivers inside, as I am told the auction text stated that the drivers and pads were replaced in the past year.

I bid on that one. I've been bidding on almost every Stax auction lately but I'm cheap... :P If the drivers were replaced then they put in SR-202 drivers. Man I'd love to rummage through the discarded partsbin at Stax... :-\

The only Lambda Spirit I heard sounded very similar to original Lambda, more than any other Lambda I heard.

It's been a while but they are certainly similar.

I bid on that one. I've been bidding on almost every Stax auction lately but I'm cheap... :P If the drivers were replaced then they put in SR-202 drivers. Man I'd love to rummage through the discarded partsbin at Stax... :-\

I bid too, though thought about doing the BIN. Would have certainly bought them if I could get away with open headphones at work, but alas, I cant afford the leakage.

Google translate said replaced pads and vibration plate makers, but Fungi translated it for me directly as pads and drivers. I bet there is some great stuff that Stax has just thrown out.

They're shit. Utter garbage. So thin sounding I never want to put them on my ears again.

*pls don't bid kthx :P*

An inferior implementation in case the German one doesn't go well (cloth cable, white shell): Stax SR-5 Gold electrostatic Headphones + SRD-7 on eBay, also Corded, Headphones, Accessories, Consumer Electronics (end time 11-May-09 07:44:07 BST)

I just saw this auction end. Is this the going price for this combo? Just measuring prices for future investments (listed as buy it now of $3500, best offer of $2700 won):

STAX SR-007 Headphones+ SRM-007ta Tube Amplifier - eBay (item 220402926289 end time May-05-09 19:56:51 PDT)

STAX SR-007 Headphones+ SRM-007t Vacuum Tube Unit - eBay (item 320368400685 end time Jun-04-09 20:29:18 PDT)

Looks like he is going for the second round? :confused:

Which amp is he selling? The 007ta or 007t? If it's the 007t, I don't think that's a good price for the combo.

the 1st one was specifically with the 007ta. the description mentioned, written, 007a tube amplifier.

Winner got it for $2700. I'm trying to get my idea of how much I would expect to pay for something like this (have read the 007ta is better than the 007t).

The 2nd round seems to be the 007t. He does state "Returns only if product does not fit description."

So the first one HAD to be 007ta. The 2nd auction brings a stand though. Whoop de doo.

Extremely strange things are going on:

ESP950 plugged into T1 amp into Pro bias= faint squeal

ESP950 unplugged from T1 still faintly squeal until pins are shortened, and it still makes this sound even if I unplug it from amp and adapter.

ESP950 plugged into E/90 = dead silent no squeal

ESP950 plugged into T1 normal bias = dead silent no squeal and very soft

SRM-1 with ESP950 still produces faint squeal, but it is almost not audible. All Stax headphones sound perfect with my T1.

What is happening? Does ESP950 need some kind of resistor build into cable? :confused: The squeal is very very minor in all cases but it is there.

Extremely strange things are going on:

ESP950 plugged into T1 amp into Pro bias= faint squeal

ESP950 unplugged from T1 still faintly squeal until pins are shortened, and it still makes this sound even if I unplug it from amp and adapter.

ESP950 plugged into E/90 = dead silent no squeal

ESP950 plugged into T1 normal bias = dead silent no squeal and very soft

SRM-1 with ESP950 still produces faint squeal, but it is almost not audible. All Stax headphones sound perfect with my T1.

What is happening? Does ESP950 need some kind of resistor build into cable? :confused: The squeal is very very minor in all cases but it is there.

I think that this is the ESP950 squeal/buzz everyone talks about. It's intermittent, so if you use the E/90 enough, you'll eventually hear it there as well.

I think that this is the ESP950 squeal/buzz everyone talks about. It's intermittent, so if you use the E/90 enough, you'll eventually hear it there as well.

Nope, it's constant on Stax amp and never there on E90. Also if I move ESP950 to Stax amp from E90 it does not make this sound for several minutes and than it develops.

Did you short the pins on ESP950 and then plug it into E90? When I do that ESP950 is silent on E90 amp and never makes any noises. I am sure now that this is an issue with Stax pro bias not working correctly with ESP950. The funny thing is that on normal bias socket is does not buzz. I wish I had one of these bias leach adapters to test this.

O2 farts, but does not squeal.

Yeah when I do that I is quieter but there is still a buzzing. It's one of thing things that probably only I would care about but it pisses me off massively. These are $1000 headphones they should be quiet.

My right driver is quiet out of either of the amps so I know that the ESP950 can be quiet.

Same here but only in one driver, it's still there on the e/90 but very reduced. Also the left right balance thing on the E/90 is weird to get used to.

Do the O2 ever buzz/squeal? I'm tired of this shit.

It is only on the left for me as well. It is odd to me that, even with all the other owners, this now seems like it is a common problem.

Have either of you looked inside the housings to see of the wires are too close together?

Do the O2 ever buzz/squeal? I'm tired of this shit.

I even fed mine some 700v+ of bias and they didn't complain.

I wish I had one of these bias leach adapters to test this.

Was that aimed at me...? ;) I'm going to make an adapter for use at CJ (people have to hear a normal bias Sigma off the BHSE :o) so I can check if I have enough parts for two of them....

Have either of you looked inside the housings to see of the wires are too close together?

I have and it did lower the noise some (by almost half). No matter what I do though, it doesn't fully stop even with the wires as far apart as they go.

ERS paper to the rescue! :P

Was that aimed at me...? ;) I'm going to make an adapter for use at CJ (people have to hear a normal bias Sigma off the BHSE :o) so I can check if I have enough parts for two of them....

It was not, but since you volunteered :P We can talk about it via PMs, something like this would be cool to have.