The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Whoa, so much SR-Omega and SR-007 talk? Where's n_maher, we need to show him there's more to the Head-Case Stax thread than earpad talk.

I think the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7 are good, but the price being charged by Grant Fidelity is quite excessive at more than twice what I paid, which was US$44 each. Over US$100 per tube seems high, even if their "export versions" really are marginally better or somehow better-matched. And marginally better is the most I would expect.

BHSE owners group buy? ;)

Whoa, so much SR-Omega and SR-007 talk? Where's n_maher, we need to show him there's more to the Head-Case Stax thread than earpad talk.
68416049.PsIUI6UZ.wave.gif

I think the Shuguang Treasure 6CA7 are good, but the price being charged by Grant Fidelity is quite excessive at more than twice what I paid, which was US$44 each. Over US$100 per tube seems high, even if their "export versions" really are marginally better or somehow better-matched. And marginally better is the most I would expect.

I might be able to ask someone about purchasing these tubes in quantity if you're serious about a group buy for them.

Gah, such fast reflexes are scary.

I think I'll buy another quad of the Treasure 6CA7, so I can use them at the same time on two amps. I'm open to doing a larger group buy, and sending them to a few people. The shipping charge was negligible, so it was basically just $44 per tube.

--

I thought the SR-404 LTD was just a regular SR-404, with black color and leather earpads and headband.

Oh, no! Did I say earpads? :palm:

Gah, such fast reflexes are scary.

I think I'll buy another quad of the Treasure 6CA7, so I can use them at the same time on two amps. I'm open to doing a larger group buy, and sending them to a few people. The shipping charge was negligible, so it was basically just $44 per tube.

--

I thought the SR-404 LTD was just a regular SR-404, with black color and leather earpads and headband.

Oh, no! Did I say earpads? :palm:

Different cable as well, and no one knows if the driver was tweaked in any way.

BHSE owners group buy? ;)

How do you like them in substitute to your XF2 EL34s?

I'd be down for a group buy. Why can't I just be cheap and get some SED Winged C's instead?:palm:

How do you like them in substitute to your XF2 EL34s?

I haven't had time to compare them yet. I've been "burning-in" the 6CA7 quad and CV181 pair to make sure they settle down nicely and are stable.

I'll put back the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base in place of the CV181 and compare the Treasure 6CA7 with my reference set of Mullard xf2 and maybe a couple of other types. The reference set is nothing special, just a matched quad that I bought from a local shop and had tested with their tube tester. If the Sylvania 6SN7 really don't work well with Treasure I can change back or to another pair of 6SN7, but otherwise I won't change them, in order to reduce variables. I already have to "test" with multiple headphones and multiple types of music.

I forgot to mention the Treasure CV181 comes in two versions, one with black glass and the other with blue glass. The black glass is more expensive.

I'll ask the seller about bulk pricing.

There's not only no bulk order pricing (I asked about 24 tubes), but the seller says the price is going to go up.

Maybe 24 tubes is not enough?

Also, my bargaining skills are non-existent and may actually have negative effects, meaning that sometimes I might accidentally offer to pay more than the asking price. :palm: Yes, I'm an idiot type of buyer, especially if I like the product or just suspect that I'll like it.

I probably won't do an actual group buy, but if some people really want them I'll add your order to mine and ship them to you. Send me a PM by Monday.

Dusty, October is a bit long way away, so I don't know what will happen by then. If you'd like I'll certainly buy a set for you, anytime.

Completely forgot to respond. :( I'll also opt out since I've found plenty of XF2 quads around the 200$ mark over the years.

In other news, I'm right now listening to the Egmont falling flat on its face when put under some pressure. It has handled most things I've thrown at it relatively well but when playing the DVD-A of Maiden's Dance of Death on the Mk1's it is just being slaughtered. :-\ Now, it has never been able to show the depth of field which the Mk1's do so well (a sure sign that the amp isn't up for the task) or small bass details but now it has entered HE90 mode and simply skips over huge portions of the bass plus a lot of the small detail. Damn I miss having a BH here...

Dance of Death came out on DVD-A? What resolution? How're the dynamics, compressed?

I'm interested in this as well. There are a few great tracks on the album, but the compression is awful (and the CGI artwork, but that is not relevant :P).