The Headcase Stax thread

thrice

Those are C-core transformers btw... same as Lundahl.  :)  The resistors are just 5W units but they used to be huge in the 60's.

The diodes need to go if I were ever going to use that bias supply.  It has no input limiter though so it won't work off anything but 100VAC. 

Edited by spritzer

agM8L5O.jpg

Not strictly stax, but I guess this is the best place for it.

This is the amp made by the guy who made Jade, now called HIFIMAN.

There is rumor that he is going to be producing electrostatics again very soon. This is the amp he made for the headphone. I assume this is the prototype...

agM8L5O.jpg

This is the amp made by the guy who made Jade, now called HIFIMAN.

There is rumor that he is going to be producing electrostatics again very soon. This is the amp he made for the headphone. I assume this is the prototype...

Hey, I still have one of those HE Audio electrostats, which looks somewhat dated sitting next to my SR009. Do you have a link for the company or dealer?

Size, mica structure and (if 0 getter) looks awfully similar to a 6005/6aq5, though only pushed to max about 280-350vdc. Unless it's the Chinese/Russian version similar to how they made 6p1's to handle up to 350vdc easily from a bog standard el84/6bq5/6p14.

Edited by DefQon

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my super rare Stax SR-2 (aka the set that doesn't officially exist) and they are even more a conundrum in person.  I got these from the UK and what makes them truly odd is the yellow baffle and odd earpads.  The baffle is off a PWB headphone so these were modified by the importer or PWB at some point.  I haven't cracked therm open yet as I was eager to try them first.  The earpads look a bit like the AKG 240 series but were utterly shot so I put on the first earpads I found A-T W3000ANV. 

To call this headphone rare would be an understatement though as according to Stax it never existed.  No mention of it on the official product page and the unofficial Stax site (which is now defunct) didn't list it until one popped up on ebay. I've seen exactly two of these for sale in the last 10 years and this is one of them.  I've found one review from 1968 of these and that's it.  Stax have never explained why it was so short lived as the SR-3 was released in 1968. 

I plugged the set into my SRM-007tA and both channels came up to song in an instant.  Always a good sign from vintage sets that the drivers are in perfect condition.  The sound is typical of vintage Stax, midrange, midrange and a bit more midrange which is heavily damped.  There is some top end and there is "enough" bass for most music but nothing like the modern sets.  Still a far cry from something like the Koss ESP6 which is from the same time. 

I opened them up last night so some pics will be coming when I have time.  Identical build to a late SR-1 but I'm sure they did some internal changes to the drivers.  Aside from the PWB baffle (same one as found on the yellow model here) the rest is 100% Stax so I might try to change to a SR-3 baffle.