i'm on a roll... the kgsshv

kevin gilmore

I feel like kicking myself now. I had -15V hooked into the - pole instead of ground. :palm:

How the LED worked for so many hours with such a dumb mistake is beyond me... Anyway, do you have any of those orange switches you were planning on getting spritzer?

So I replaced my output bias resistors today. Im using the IXYS parts at 500 volts, so I was kind of worried, since you guys were saying they drift alot more than the sanyo parts do, and not to raise it too much. But i replaced the 180 resistors with 100 ohm ones. to raise the current to 10mAs, and I rebiased after about 2-3 hours of leaving it on and got all my biases down under .2 volts so I was pretty pleased

So I replaced my output bias resistors today. Im using the IXYS parts at 500 volts, so I was kind of worried, since you guys were saying they drift alot more than the sanyo parts do, and not to raise it too much. But i replaced the 180 resistors with 100 ohm ones. to raise the current to 10mAs, and I rebiased after about 2-3 hours of leaving it on and got all my biases down under .2 volts so I was pretty pleased

Can you share the change in the sound impressions?

Edited by Victor Chew

I don't have a comparison from the lower powered to the higher powered KGSShv, but I did spend 4 hours listening and A/B'ing the Blue Hawaii and the KGSShv last night. 

I was listening to the Stax O2/Mk I and switching them between the two amps.  Without going crazy loud, it was hard to tell much of a difference.  I occasionally turned up the volume and the KGSShv did seem to hold its own.  All the things that make me smile with the BH were there - wide sound stage, deep and clear bass, remarkable separation of voices and instruments with incredible detail.

Makes me happy just thinking about it.  :D

I think I have the v0.5 and it's fixed, but don't trust my word, because I don't have the board with me as I type this. You should just check your board against the schematic. It should be fairly easy to identify. I can check for you when I get home.

never mind that! I didn't see GeorgeP already answered it.

Edited by jwzhan

I got a chance to put the amp on the scope.  It looks great!

Response is totally flat from 10Hz up through 40KHz + (I didn't look much beyond this).

I also looked at the FFT function on my scope and that looks great as well.

Here's some shots of the scope with the FFT window.  I'm showing 1KHz, 10KHz and 20KHz.

il2h.jpg

2iwf.jpg

9oxd.jpg

I also looked at noise with the volume all the way down and I was seeing about 50mV.  Not bad for my house.  I'm going to keep the chassis width at 8" since I don't see that contributing to the noise floor of the amp.

Well, not quite as exciting as the new stuff Kerry is working on, but I'm happy to report that I mounted and tested two amp boards today and everything is up and running!  

Another KGSShv is slowly coming to life...

I've got everything in hand now to case it and wire it.  

I've been at this one for a while, but I think I can see the finish line now.