Car Stereo suggestions must be iPhone centric

jp11801

My only suggestion having gone through it recently, is to test iPhone interfaces in person. They can vary a lot. From number of buttons to navigate folder structure to radio only GUI, iPhone only, or both. Also how often you'll be using apps other than iTunes for music (as that head units GUI isn't like to be used and you'd need iPhone control). Afraid there's a reason some of these electronic companies haven't come up with a successful DAP, and piggybacking on other companies GUI can make it even more convoluted. I wasn't looking for phone capabilities, but on the music front I avoided some of the higher-end choices as I preferred Sony's iPhone/iPod interface. After awhile I was using WunderRadio, This American Life, etc. apps often though so it became less an issue (as long as you can control from iPod/iPhone). One Sony negative, it will begin to play a playlist track automatically. There's no way to shut this off. So if I want to listen to a TAL show, I have to let iTunes take over, start to play, pause, then back out and launch the other app (while the first track continues to display on the head units display). And that was one of the better UIs!

Also keep in mind most (all?) won't support the iPad.

EDIT: Got my Sony CDX-GT740UI also from Crutchfield. They even have an occasional video showing UIs. For example: Sony CDX-GT640UI - Additional images and video

Edited by blessingx

Take a look at Alpine. They make some some nice units that are made for ipods/iphones. Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Can add the Imprint (PXA-H100) processor for better eq/crossover/time alignment control

Speakers being a personal preference, there are some good options out there. Dyn, Seas, Focal, Morel, JL Audio, Hertz, Alpine, Pioneer, JBL...

Keep in mind that install is pretty important, but seing as you don't want to spend a lot I would stick with stock locations and make corrections with a processor. Put a little bit of money into deadening the area where the midbasses will be.

and some tube amps as well (also has been done). I would go with Naaman's recommendations, you should figure out how much time and effort you want to put into this. Good installation and tuning are very important and finding someone who can do it right can be a PITA and expensive. If you are not going to go whole hog better to just get some decent stuff and forget about it as it is time consuming to get great sound in a car unless you are a ninja like Naaman and can DIY. I know this may be more info then you wanted but it always seems to start out with I would like a good head unit and some nice speakers and then the madness it grips you pulls on your genitals and does not let go.

it always seems to start out with I would like a good head unit and some nice speakers and then the madness it grips you pulls on your genitals and does not let go.

That's why my next car is going to have a headunit that is also the ECU for the engine.

That headunit, PXA-H100, IcePower 5ch amp, good two way front end, 8-10" sub, and a solid install. Should be around the $1500 or a bit more depending on how crazy you go with the speakers and install. Pretty solid system that should keep your toes tapping on a long drive.

i agree with Naaman's use of a seperate amp, running all your speaker power from an external amp is such an amazing difference in quality. i would recommend you to match all your inside component speakers with the same make and model line with whatever you go with. back in the day i used the crossover on my 5 channel amp to seperate the freq's to the right speakers, but that was back in the day..not sure what these hip kids are doing today or what companies are in and what suck. back then i installed it myself to save money and just spent some time playing with the amps eq to get it just right..hell i still remember birching about the price of all the wiring, haha i remember i bought some monster cable xp speaker wire to run all the car speakers...hey never heard any hum from the install and it sounded great! god i feel old..i have old balls!