Please Help Me Choose My Headphones

uOpt

First your suggestions to yourself... um no.

In order of price for your goal...

AT M50

Denon D2000

Senn 650

The Shure full size cans are bright forward cans, the AKG not bassy or impactful, the Senn 600 is also not a bass can and can sound withdrawn without a good amp. The Shure SE line is also something to consider if these are commute cans or you don't mind the whole IEM thing based on your goals.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is there magic also involved with the headphones? I thought said magic only applied to the amps and naturally the cables...

Never been a fan of the 650 but for the price it isn't a bad dynamic. Still I'd take a 600 over it for even less money... :)

x2 For me even second hand 580 for less money and equally good sound as the HD600.

Modified D5000 aren't that bad, but still excessive bass and too peaky treble in some areas. For well recorded classical can be quite enjoyable, though I'd take the 650 over them anytime.

Are there any places (or coming up meets) you could go to try different headphones? The Senn HD600 or the HD580 are solid suggestions and easy to sell if not to your liking. I am one who really likes the Denon D2000 and D5000 sound but IMO they benefit from being modded using the guidelines posted by MarkL. Good luck.

Sorry I can't help on the hp choices as I don't listen to the same genres of music eh, except maybe hockey game replays which sound great with my HD650s.

I hope you're not from Toronto, because I have yet to find headphones that make Leafs replays sound good. :D

I don't see the point of getting HD650 just to run off a soundcard. Amped or not, I just think it's dumb. Now if somebody were to suggest a Pico amp/DAC + IEMs.... (hint hint hint).

Unless these soundcards are really good, and I just don't know? I rather doubt it. I'd be shocked if it were better than say a Gamma1 Lite.

It'll be the trickle coming in from reading Waynes interview on CNet.

Personally, I think that it might be apt to let off on the stick and use a little more carrot with these chaps.

My advice to the OP is to get the HD600 and see if you like them. They don't do anything wrong, unlike the K701. If you don't like them you'll have no trouble selling them on and trying somethign else.

But... but... the stick is so much more fun. :( Ohh well... the HD600 is a solid choice for anyone but they do need a good amp to sound really good which could always be an upgrade path later on.

Quite so. A nice solid amp will wake them up from being "better than what you've got" to "really rather nice indeed".

If they don't do what you hope they do and aren't as pleasing as you expect, or if you do like them and want to take them to the next level, for gods sake don't go dumping similar or more money to what the headphones cost in the first place on an aftermarket cable.

Thanks for the input. Seems like the HD600 is a good all around headphone and I doubt I can really go wrong with it. From what I've read, it has a little less bass than the HD650s and overall excels in classical music. Not really something that would suit my taste much, but it should be able to fit in easily. Also thanks for the pointer, I was skeptical about cable changes, and I think that the general consensus is that it polishes up the sound of a headphone, and if anything, it should come at the very end of the chain of things to upgrade. I don't think I would ever do it, but that's just me.

The HD600 are actually driven pretty nicely by the Xonar ST/X. The TPA6120 chip inside is pretty decent.

Yup, the Essence ST gives me the impression it can do a whole lot more after easily driving the MDR-7506s. Not that they're particularly hard to drive, but there's plenty of overhead if more amping is needed. It's good news to hear that it wasn't a complete waste buying the sound card, knowing that it can hold its own.

First your suggestions to yourself... um no.

In order of price for your goal...

AT M50

Denon D2000

Senn 650

The Shure full size cans are bright forward cans, the AKG not bassy or impactful, the Senn 600 is also not a bass can and can sound withdrawn without a good amp. The Shure SE line is also something to consider if these are commute cans or you don't mind the whole IEM thing based on your goals.

I was under the impression that the Shure's were a bit bright, which is what I'm definitely trying to avoid after listening to my MDR-7506s for so long. I didn't know if this was true or not, so thanks for clearing it up. I was actually considering those 3 headphones, but I wasn't sure about how the M50s would stack up to the others. I am willing to pay a bit extra if the D2000s or HD650s are overall better headphones, even though price does not necessarily convert into quality. I had heard some poor opinions on the D2000s, and I guess I just ignored it after that, even though they do seem to be able to suit my needs pretty well.

Senn HD650

OR

Bump up that budget just a bit and get a used Stax rig.

Well I'm not so sure that STAX really is for me, but I don't really know too much about their headphones. The HD650s, however, do seem to be a better choice than the HD600s according to what I'm looking for, but I never know. It's also really hard to find a decent price on the HD650s anywhere on ebay, or by using Google's shopping search engine, I can't seem to find any that are under $350 before shipping or taxes, and ship to Canada. Would bstock or refurbished be a viable choice? Do they impact the sound too much? I've heard some refurbished V6s that were bought at a Sony Store, and they do sound quite a bit different than my MDR-7506s, which should have the same driver. They sound muddier, and worse. I'm completely sure of it, it isn't just a placebo.

Welcome Kennykilla (another Canadian) to Head Case! We will be taking over ... soon.

Sorry I can't help on the hp choices as I don't listen to the same genres of music eh, except maybe hockey game replays which sound great with my HD650s.

I hope you're not from Toronto, because I have yet to find headphones that make Leafs replays sound good. :D

Heh, I'm not a big hockey guy, but those would be some magical headphones.

Are there any places (or coming up meets) you could go to try different headphones? The Senn HD600 or the HD580 are solid suggestions and easy to sell if not to your liking. I am one who really likes the Denon D2000 and D5000 sound but IMO they benefit from being modded using the guidelines posted by MarkL. Good luck.

The Denon D2000s really did appeal to me after reading up. Nice bass, and a smooth mid/treble, from what I've read. I've heard they are fun to listen to, which is definitely a plus, but that depends on a person's opinion on what's fun to listen to. I've also read MarkL's writeup on his mod of the D5000s, and while I'm not really one to change things from stock, it seems to be really popular. I have read though, that on the stock D2000s that the quality of the bass isn't so good. Is this true?

I don't see the point of getting HD650 just to run off a soundcard. Amped or not, I just think it's dumb. Now if somebody were to suggest a Pico amp/DAC + IEMs.... (hint hint hint).

Unless these soundcards are really good, and I just don't know? I rather doubt it. I'd be shocked if it were better than say a Gamma1 Lite.

Well the Xonar Essence ST was by far the best sound card I had available for headphones, and especially for music when I bought it. It should have enough power to drive most headphones, unless there's something else you're getting at? I do have a Fischer X202B tube amp, and although it's in a bit of rough shape, it seems to be working fine. I don't know how well it would work as a headphone amp, but it sounds nice with my current headphones.

I have the Asus STX and as a source it's not bad, but the amping isn't perfect. People make it out to be all that you need for a wonderful audiophile setup, when in reality it's just a somewhat decent soundcard that has better than average amping for a soundcard.

Running it directly from soundcard isn't that bad if you just want to get started with a good headphones and occasionally listen to music, later on though, if you feel you want something more, getting a pico dac/amp would be a good choice, or whatever amp/dac combo you feel like...

I have the Asus STX and as a source it's not bad, but the amping isn't perfect. People make it out to be all that you need for a wonderful audiophile setup, when in reality it's just a somewhat decent soundcard that has better than average amping for a soundcard.

I totally agree.

Its a good starting setup though, can drive any low/impedance headphone & is pretty good with my orthos too.

For the price, I would be hard pressed to find something better.

I say, get the Denons. Here's why: They'll sound great initially, then sometime down the track, you'll try the Senns, which might not be so great at the start in contrast, but will, should you have a decent mid-range amp, end up getting more head-time. Then you'll have learned something. I'll leave it up to you to discover what. Eventually, you'll try a Stax rig (and hopefully a real DAC) and learn some more, like what instruments actually sound like. ;)