Please Help Me Choose My Headphones

uOpt

Anybody likes to make a recommendation what to try next?

I am mostly listening to metal, guitar oriented rock, singer/songwriter and occasional country. I really need good mids, both for the guitars (enough punch) and for voices (actually hear what's going on).

Here's my history of headphones:

• Current favorites: DT-770, but a little too boomy, in particular at high volumes. Like the closed sit and general quality. Not enough punch in the area where distorted guitars sit.
  • Runner up: Proline 650, but too microphonic, not really comfortable, too much noise to the outside and a little thin sounding.
  • Sennheiser HD-250 (not II): best with distorted guitars among what I have but overall a little flat sounding. Great Bass, though. Don't like the quality, thing falls apart.
  • AKG K240 Monitor: great analytical mids but not much else.
  • AKG 271 Mk II: horrible. Way too closed soundstage. Sold instantly.

I did have a Denon AHD7000 for a couple days. It was better than any of the above. However, like the DT770 it didn't have quite enough punch with distorted guitars. I would be willing to drop $700 for something that is perfect but alas they aren't quite there so I will make another stop on the way and that's why I asking what to try. I think I might find something in the $200-$300.

I have one of those Bravo Audio tube amps and a FiiO.

Thinking of trying Grado or ATH. Model? Something else? I know the field of closed phones grows thin here, recommendations for louder sets are welcome, too.

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't bite. Much.

Anyways, I am trying to decide between the ATH-ANC7b and ATH-M50 headphones.

I am quite attracted to the noise cancelation factor behind the first ones and they seem to have good reviews, but I have heard similar great reviews about the second model.

I don't believe the '50s have any noise cancelation at all beyond the seal around the cups.

I used to have some Super.Fi canalphones for years but I just can't bear raping my ear canals anymore with those things... so the hunt for a seat of headphones is on!

I will be listening to them on my iPhone & iPod, nothing lossless, mostly above 195 AAC if I can help it, or shop (iTunes) bought. Price is not really a problem but I don't want to spend more than the iPhone is worth however if necessary I will.

I live in a pretty noisy place and plan to use them at home or cruising the street, with the inherent traffic noise. Quite a bit of airplane travel too. I don't believe in exercise *shudder* so no need for them in the gym or anything. If they stay on while I am eating my fish 'n' chips so much the better! ;)

Opinions welcome!

Head-Fi.org

But seriously the 770s blow. If they don't have enough punch might want to try some Beats.

He said "punch" but mentioned guitars, so although his wording is weird he probably wants some form of mids.

Check out the Shure closed headphones or something; there really isn't much to look at besides those and AKGs