How high can the JH13 scale?

adktitan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amp's name is spelled Sonett. Geez how many people have to keep mis-spelling that when it's right there on the manufacturer's Web site? :basement:

As for the JH13, it scales up nicely but you don't need an overly nice setup to enjoy them. I routinely enjoy mine directly out of my MP3 player. How about you just use a Pico DAC into the Pico Slim for less money? (Which I tried and sounded pretty good.) Or you could try an Arcam rDac into the Pico Slim if you need more than just USB input. Or the future HeadAmp "Gilmore X2" which was recently announced on HF.

I should have spelled that correctly, you are right, my apologies and it is indeed on the website and specially states so. The pico idea crossed my mind, but I'm already using a TTVJ slim/Dac, so for my next step, in a home set up, I would want to be a real big step in gear, otherwise it seems the Pico would be more lateral then huge upgrade. As well, I would like the option down the road for other phones other then the JH13. I'm not saying the pico and or slim or any combo mentioned above does not serve this purpose....

They scale like a MF'er, I would not recommend most tube amps and yes I have heard it with the Sonnet(t).

The PWD with an M3 would be my go to

Thanks JP, that is very helpful, on many accounts. It's good to hear that they will scale like a motherfucker (I enjoy swearing, when able) and that I could build a nice home set-up around them and be very pleased and not waste money doing so. I guess I have my DAC's pretty much narrowed down, now to figure out the next part in the chain....cheers to all and thanks...

Going back to the amp department, you don't need much power, but you certainly need excellent channel matching and the pico slim would be a great choice here as ASR recommended as it has a really nice digital controlled attenuator. Some members reported positively about the pico slim + jh13

Thanks for the suggestions MASantos and the reassurance's boomana. boomana, which home source do you use with your 13's and the slim? It would seem a funny juxtaposition to pair the pico slim with a 'big gear' DAC like the PWD or some such thing. I'm still tossing ideas around and looking for a steal on a used Northstar to start my trip down the rabbit hole. I'm also looking the duet now for a source as I'm a mac guy. Thanks for the input all. Cheers.

Edited by adktitan
spelling...

Although people have paired small portable amps with home gear, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want your amp to serve double duty. I think a Pico Slim or the TTVJ Slim would be good options if you need that, but I would suggest a home amp if you are not planning to double up. If you are a Mac person then you should consider the Amarra 302 (Metric Halo ULN-2) or whatever it is called because it is a DAC and an amp and you could run your JH13s right from there.

Stax mafia doesn't agree. ;D I think I tried a JH13 at CJ though I'm not sure (fairly certain my good friend Douglas made me do it :)) but the DSP unit didn't sound as good as a SR-003. It wasn't bad by any means but the bass was just odd to say the least with a definitive coloration. I've also never heard a headphone that can match the spectacular midrange of a well driven SR-003 (yup that includes the SR-007). Rumor has it that Stax are working on a new version which is about damn time given the Mk1 was from 1995 and the mk2 from 1997. I do hope they will fix the fit though as that's what really lets them down. Couple that to the Gilmore portable amp (which we hope somebody can build the transformer for) and it would be a very interesting shootout.

I've now had my jh13s for over a year. Though I love my O2 rig, my jh13s get more use, and make me as happy every single time. Due to sq, convenience, and pure pleasure factor, I consider them one of the best purchases I've ever made. My O2 rig is better sq, but I can't move around with it and can't toss it in my purse. The jh13s with a simple ipod and pico slim still offers amazing sq, and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing, sq-wise, when listening.

Well, I bought a Gilmore Lite with DPS today, instead of a source, :palm:. This is due to having an itchy trigger finger, not being able to settle on a DAC yet, and I got a good local deal. I figure I can find a nice DAC now to feed it and be happy for a while. I'm still looking at maybe a Duet or a used Northstar that is on audiogon right now, while the PWD is out at this time, due to it's price which is stemming from a new rule from the wife that whatever I spend on audio, she gets to match. This fucking rule hammers my budget.

Really, the SR-003 have rather a bizarre target market -- those that need that electrostatic sound portably, don't mind 'open', and can get the fit right (the fit is quote fiddly).

Me, personally, I think it's a great way to get introduced to the electrostatic sound, but I recognize I'm in the minority on that. (Not a mafioso.)