How high can the JH13 scale?

adktitan

Well, I bought a Gilmore Lite with DPS today, instead of a source, :palm:. This is due to having an itchy trigger finger, not being able to settle on a DAC yet, and I got a good local deal. I figure I can find a nice DAC now to feed it and be happy for a while. I'm still looking at maybe a Duet or a used Northstar that is on audiogon right now, while the PWD is out at this time, due to it's price which is stemming from a new rule from the wife that whatever I spend on audio, she gets to match. This fucking rule hammers my budget.

The Duet is a nice DAC to pair with an amp, and it can do 24/96 via FireWire. But you wont be able to use it with a DVD or CDP and other digital sources (Wadia, Apple TV or Airport Express). I would also consider the Apogee mini-DAC (with firewire or USB) or a Stello DA100 for only a little higher budget. I haven't heard the Northstar so I can't comment on that one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, if these little guys don't just sound spectacular out of everything, though. You really did yourself a disservice starting right at the top, Adkfthyitn. The correct path to audio nirvana begins when you start modding Koss KSC75s, not when you buy the best headphones ever and wonder what comes next. You're starting with the season finale, here.

Thanks Voltron. I'm now off to research Amarra in greater detail. I read up some initially and dismissed the idea, but I will revisit that option now to see if it fits my eye a little better now. Cheers.

Not to be a heretic, but were I you I'd also look into Pure Music. It's pretty nice.

The Duet is a nice DAC to pair with an amp, and it can do 24/96 via FireWire. But you wont be able to use it with a DVD or CDP and other digital sources (Wadia, Apple TV or Airport Express). I would also consider the Apogee mini-DAC (with firewire or USB) or a Stello DA100 for only a little higher budget. I haven't heard the Northstar so I can't comment on that one.

Don't want to sound like a fanboy but I'd like to add the Neko D100 to that list. I also have the Gilmore Lite(with DPS) and it sounds gorgeous with it(for the few days that I've had it, 2nd hand dac). Definitely worth a shot, even though it's a bit more expensive than the other DACs.

Jeez, if these little guys don't just sound spectacular out of everything, though. You really did yourself a disservice starting right at the top, Adkfthyitn. The correct path to audio nirvana begins when you start modding Koss KSC75s, not when you buy the best headphones ever and wonder what comes next. You're starting with the season finale, here.

Yeah when I first started looking into headphones I asked some questions, did some research, etc and figured that no matter what happened after, the JH13 would sound good out of an iPhone/iPod and have the potential to sound even better and more amazing as I progressed up the component chain. I jumped on one of the deals they offered and that was that. So I sort of bought the 13 thinking long term and very multi-use. Its worked out well so far.

Not to be a heretic, but were I you I'd also look into Pure Music. It's pretty nice.

I'm using the pure music demo right now to see if I dig it, I'm not sure yet.

Don't want to sound like a fanboy but I'd like to add the Neko D100 to that list. I also have the Gilmore Lite(with DPS) and it sounds gorgeous with it(for the few days that I've had it, 2nd hand dac). Definitely worth a shot, even though it's a bit more expensive than the other DACs.

The Neko D100 definitely is on my look at hard list. Its nice to know it pairs well with the Gilmore lite. Thanks for that. Thanks also Larry for the advice, I would most likely be sticking to iMac or macbook as my main music server for the foreseeable future.

Really, the SR-003 have rather a bizarre target market -- those that need that electrostatic sound portably, don't mind 'open', and can get the fit right (the fit is quote fiddly).

Me, personally, I think it's a great way to get introduced to the electrostatic sound, but I recognize I'm in the minority on that. (Not a mafioso.)

For me they serve one great purpose, a quick way to see if a new amp is performing ok as they pickup hum and any bias issues other phones don't mind. Being pretty cheap helps when you've destroyed one earpiece like I have... ;D

I'm using the Pure Music Demo at the moment and will be buying it in another day. I like it so far. From what I've read it's a toss up as to which is better, Amarra or Pure Music. I figure at $129, if I am convinced later that Amarra is better Im not out of pocket as much as if I started with Amarra.

JH13 > Anything Stax, especially the O2.

Well, I bought a Gilmore Lite with DPS today, instead of a source, :palm:. This is due to having an itchy trigger finger, not being able to settle on a DAC yet, and I got a good local deal. I figure I can find a nice DAC now to feed it and be happy for a while. I'm still looking at maybe a Duet or a used Northstar that is on audiogon right now, while the PWD is out at this time, due to it's price which is stemming from a new rule from the wife that whatever I spend on audio, she gets to match. This fucking rule hammers my budget.

Why the northstar ? I picked a Northstar 192 MK1 that I will be using with the JH16 any time soon. I'm just waiting for my amp to come and try it, if you want I can let you know how it sounds to my ears but I'm not that experienced with Dacs and I only heard it so far from the Mp3 Player so you know..

Duet is great. So is the Northstar. I don't tend to think of sources as subjectively as most, since I really prefer to find the right transducer and then optimize everything upstream for it. That being said, don't think of your source purchase as definitive. Odds are good that it won't be your last source purchase, especially if you hang around here.

Oh, and JH13 uber alles.

I'm on day 3 of my pure music demo. In my setup it made a difference. The functionality alone is very useful, let alone the sonic differences. I just wish I would have jumped on it when it was $79.

Same here but at $129, compared to $695 for Amarra, it's not a bad deal.

Listening to the JH13's out of the Amarra 4 headphone out and it is the best I've heard the JH13 out of an amp. It's dead quiet with the source paused. While, at $4000 retail for the Amarra 4, when you consider it's your source, preamp, phono pre and headphone amp, and damn good at all of them, it's not a bad deal.

Since I started this thread about scaling with the 13, it took a few different turns and directions. This is in part due to an itchy trigger finger, new budget constraints, and information overload. Anyway, I ultimately decided until I can save enough to spend 2K+ on a PWD (and matching donor program for the wife, which was a budget killer, but a partner keeper) I will have to wait to scale the mountain. I bought a used Pico dac to pair with the G-lite and I think I will be happy (for awhile). So, thanks everyone for the advice and conversation. See ya around. Cheers.

The Pico DAC/G-Lite is still a nice JH13 combo. Was listening last night to Steve Kuhn's Motility to test a couple DACs (Assemblage 3/Parasound 1600) with the GS-1 and although I previously had some doubts on others comments about the JH13 scaling, those were mostly laid to rest. Even the soundstage on this CD was huge. Kept thinking my GF, who was a few feet away, was making noise that was on the recording. Kinda freaky to be honest.

Edited by blessingx

Since I started this thread about scaling with the 13, it took a few different turns and directions. This is in part due to an itchy trigger finger, new budget constraints, and information overload. Anyway, I ultimately decided until I can save enough to spend 2K+ on a PWD (and matching donor program for the wife, which was a budget killer, but a partner keeper) I will have to wait to scale the mountain. I bought a used Pico dac to pair with the G-lite and I think I will be happy (for awhile). So, thanks everyone for the advice and conversation. See ya around. Cheers.

I think you still did pretty well with that combo, which is better than most portable rigs and can drive full size phones well too.