Pioneer DSS-9

Duggeh

DSS-91-1.jpg

There's a pair turned up just down the road from me, in full working order but the woofers have had the original carbon composite cones replaced with polypropylene. Price good and less than the going rate for a pair of the midrange drivers or tweeters inside them.

Internet opinion seems positive all-over.

It will be the first piece of audio gear in 2010 I'll buy which will cost more than 3 pints of lager and a packet of peanuts.

I need someone here to tell me to do it. So I can diffuse my self-indulgent guilt.

They're rear ported, so the first picture is a varient, maybe the DSS-10E.

Also I know why there was a good price on these now. They are in pieces. Screwing the drivers back in and rewiring them up is simple enough but the secondary crossovers had been torn out of the chassis and are on splintery bits of chipboard. One is fairly intact but that other I had to reassemble a bit. The tweeters and mids are wired in and I'm waiting for the glue to cure on the crossovers before I screw in the woofers.

A selection of minor physical flaws on the cabinets but nothing dreadful. I'm also lucky that I had a pile of grub screws the right size as the originals were tossed except for one which was stuck inside a cabinet.

See what happens when you listen to us?

Indeed.

Have some pics.

Laying:

Pa090001.jpg

Drivers:

Pa090005.jpg

Pa090006.jpg

Needs scraping out:

Pa090003.jpg

Been scraped:

Pa090004.jpg

Didn't re-mount the bass crossovers this evening. Hopefully finish everything tomo.

In case anybody doesn't spot it, the room has been repainted red.

I've got some dynamat somewhere, but not enough to line both boxes.

I also forgot to take away the interior foam so I'll ring Frank tomo and hope he hung on to it (and the front grilles).

Took forever and a day to rebuild the bass crossovers, most of which involved removing the parts from the old chipboard block. Now they're on bits of scrap pine. Haven't glued them in yet in case something goes tits up, but the speakers sound pretty good now that I've hooked them up (last ten minutes). Pots for mid and treble are crackle free.

Now I need to knock together some nicer (and taller) stands. Unless I try putting them on my desk...

Pioneer_DSS-9_A1.jpg

Very nice Douglas!!! :)

You can also get bitumen sheets for car sound insulation pretty cheaply and add them to the box wall. Certainly cheaper than Dynamat...

Also Bituthane sheeting has very similar qualities. You have to buy a large roll, but it's usually cheaper than a tiny amount of Dynamat. It's sold as Ice and Water shield for roofing. The brand I'm familiar with is Grace.

graceiceandwater.jpg

Home improvement centers will carry it.