Need advice on 2008 Infiniti G35x all wheel drive I'm considering buying soon, please

HeadphoneAddict

I've got a 2006 Tribeca that I enjoy driving, but agree that it's a little smaller than we'd like. Rear legroom suffers in the middle and third row, and storage behind the 3rd row is almost non-existant.

Our 2008 Saturn Outlook is much roomier and rides nice, but is not much fun for me to drive. My wife likes it though, and the kids love it for longer trips. The buyout at the end of the lease is too high for a discontinued brand, so we return it at the end of March. I want an AWD turbo after that, and the Legacy Turbo GT is looking attractive.

Yeah, that's my next car as well, in 3 years or so..

Sorry for the lengthy post to follow, but I took the 2008 Outlook in today for a noisy power steering pump, and ended up test driving a 2008 Infiniti G35x all wheel drive that I really liked. I'd really appreciate some advice from you level-headed people about maybe buying it, or not. I didn't want to clog up the "last thing you bought" thread with this, but that was where we talked a little about a "next car" recently and got me started.

The G has 31,450 miles and has most options except navigation, and very nice new Michelin all season tires that look like they'd be good on the occasional snow we get here. And I got them down from $28,988 to $27,500 + $2,000 cash-back to pay off the final 4 lease payments due on the Outlook (making the G $25,500 + tax). Kelly Blue Book puts the value at about $28,700. I still won't have to turn in the Saturn until 4/4/11, but I'll have no where to park it with a full garage and I still have to insure it if GM doesn't take it back early.

Having a nice 5-speed automatic transmission with sport shifter that doesn't hold back the G35x performance has a high WAF, because SWMBO really doesn't want the 6-speed manual of the Legacy GT or another STi. She previously suggested the Audi A4, since we can't afford the S4 or "naughty volvo" S60. I planned to test drive the A4 soon, but the GM dealer let me take the G home as a loaner overnight while they worked on the Outlook (already fixed), and I have to return it tomorrow if I don't buy it.

The G handles very well, and with some throttle manipulation I can get a tad of oversteer to swing it around fast tight curves without pushing the front end. It communicated what it was doing through the turns about as well as our 2005 Impreza 2.5RS on street tires, and dedicated summer tires should help a lot if I decide to go that direction. And it's quiet, smooth and fast. The G handles a lot better than the 2010 Camara SS I test drove, which was quite tail-happy and scary in the turns under power, although power delivery of the G was not nearly as thrilling as the SS or my former STi.

One of my gripes with the G is the crappy drink holders - seriously, do their designers only use soda cans and water bottles when they drive? If you don't put two drinks in the center console drink holder, then the one drink slides all over the place or tries to tip over. The holders in the rear seat's flip down arm-rest aren't deep enough to keep even a small soda cup from flipping over with light acceleration. And my 17 year old daughter doesn't like the back seat because "the leather is slippery, the middle spot is too humped, and the seatbelt for either of the seats next to the doors presses into her neck" (she's 5 foot small). The other 2 kids and wife are okay with it, and they're all the same size.

Honestly, the drink holders bug me more than how my daughter likes the back seat, making me a bad dad of course. (okay, I'll get her a sheepskin seatbelt cover). The back seat is still pretty small, but slightly wider and has a bit more leg room for the kids than their Impreza. Still, I would never want to sit back there with two other people, while the Legacy GT back seat is a bit bigger and not as cramped for three. I also didn't like the 130mph speed limiter that I discovered, but I don't plan to spend much time over 100MPH anyways. Going that fast makes me really nervous, and I'm more into acceleration and handling than top speed. Other than those few gripes, it has almost all the other features I could ever want, except it doesn't have an auto-dimming rear view mirror and navigation (and no good place to place the iPhone on dash as GPS either).

My wife is okay with me getting it and hinted that she'd like to drive it if I don't want to, although she's happy to use the Tribeca since it's my turn for a "new" car. After 4 years I'm bored with the Tribeca, and the wife is starting to get bored with the Outlook and likes driving the Tribeca more. But, something is still bugging me in the back of my mind about the rear seat size and drink holders, that makes me worry that the new car honeymoon will end soon after, and we'll find out in the long run that it's not the car we want to take on trips because the family isn't comfortable traveling in it. We could buy the Outlook at the end of the lease in a few months, and the kids love riding in that car because it has so much space in it. It would be just as old as the G and cost less to buy out ($22K), but it just doesn't excite us to drive it. And we worry that value will drop faster now that GM dropped Saturn.

There's many of these G35x for sale in Colorado, with most in Denver 1.5 hours away, so it's not like I have to jump on this particular one. But I don't have much money saved up, and their offer to pay the remaining lease payments on the Saturn is very attractive, especially if it get's me something fun to drive sooner than the end of next March when we hand over the Outlook. And, this car looks like new, in fantastic condition. But if I wait until March I could have some money saved up and maybe get a used 2009 if I still want one, plus have more time to decide about the A4 or Legacy GT. regardless, I'll be seeing the CARFAX tomorrow, along with their 125 point inspection, and we can put it on the lift to look at it myself as well.

So, what do you guys think about the G35x in general, and this deal in particular?

Edited by HeadphoneAddict
shorten title

I'd test drive the Legacy GT and the A4 before doing anything. Both are good suggestions in my book.

It seems that AWD is a requirement, but if not you might consider a used M3, which I have no idea if what you'd have to sacrifice in year or milage to get around $30K, but I cannot think of a more bang for the buck sports car period.

I love my Legacy GT. My buddy has a 07 G35x and he loves it. Neither would trade for the other. G35 a bit more luxurious. Legacy a bit more rugged. G35 he says leans toward RWD and adjusts in real time. Legacy always AWD but I think has limited slip diff anyway. Have to check on that though.

Both nice cars, I just think you have to drive both for a bit and you'll just know.

The G35 is a bachelor car, personally I would not want to drive anyone I cared for in the back seat as like you said there is very little space, it's basically a slight upgrade from an Eclipse or an Eagle Talon. If you feel you'd rarely be more than two people in the car then the decision is all yours on how you really like its ride, handling, etc since it sounds like you're in the honey moon phase with it right now

I've test driven the newer G37 and somewhat agree what deepak has to say about the space in the back. For smaller build people, it's not that bad, but I can see it being cramped for more "normal" sized folks. I also found that the road noise is pretty bad for a luxury car, but you may be okay with it if you're used to a WRX. While driving on the highway sitting in the back it's hard to hear what people are saying in the front and vice versa.

Thanks for all the feedback. I spent two days with the car, and drove some other vehicles in my $25K price range. It's about as much fun to drive as a new WRX, although not quite as fast. But, without having to work a clutch the G still has a nice kick to it without a turbo, even living at 6,000 feet.

AWD, power and handling were my main requirments, as is refinement and build quality and features. And my 15 & 17 year old enjoy driving it as much as my wife and I. They can't drive a stick yet and I'd worry about them being distracted by the clutch and wrecking, at least until they have more experience driving.

The other ones that I would enjoy as much would cost me $5-15k more, and some with a manual transmission. I had to give up the STi 4 years ago partly because my chronic tendinitis was so bad that I couldn't work the clutch half the time. My wife reminds me of this every time I talk about another STi or Legacy GT turbo. But I've been dreaming of something sportier since I stopped driving 6 different kids in a car pool a year ago, and I dont think I can wait any longer.

My wife told me to get the car.

Thanks again!

PS: my wife and kids are all 5' 1" or smaller, and fit in the back fine. I'm the only fat one.

I missed that you needed an automatic tranny. Before buying my Legacy GT, I test drove the auto and didn't like it much. It wasn't very responsive during acceleration, shifted a bit harshly, and just didn't seem to be in the right gear too often. I got the manual and like it a lot. I didn't drive my friend's G35x, but he has an auto and likes it.

• 2 weeks later...

My family had a 2006 G35x for about 3 years, and I drove it for a few weeks while my car was in the shop.

I don't think it's a particularly refined car at least compared to what else is in the segment. Harsh ride, unrefined engine, and interior trim is pretty woeful, or at least it was on ours. The G37 is better inside and the new M is better still but the old Gs felt like Altimas, cheap ugly plastics everywhere. Towards the end of its stay there were trim pieces literally falling off. The 5 speed box needs another gear or a taller 5th, there was a lot of engine drone at highway speeds and mileage wasn't great. Engine only really pulls above 4k and mileage could be better for the power.

Still, I liked it, despite the shortcomings. As you say it handles well and really comes alive once you push it. It will oversteer but it's pretty stable and predictable at the limits. Weight distribution is good and it's quite agile for a big car. The chassis communicates well though the steering definitely could use more feel. As for power... well I'm not a fan of the VQ35DE engine that Nissan put into everything around the time, but keep the engine above 4k and it's not bad, and it's certainly robust enough to withstand abuse. At high revs it sounds pretty good in the G as well, though in other cars (350z) it can be droning.

Dynamically, I prefer the 328/335 in every way - especially considering the excellent ride/handling balance which the G35 absolutely does not have - but considering reliability the G35 may be a better buy. The N54 engine in the 335i that every car mag loves is riddled with problems, ours is on its 2d set of turbos and 3rd high pressure fuel pump, and BMW had no idea how to fix it until recently. The G35 was problem-free, and we thrashed it a lot more than the BMW.

I think you'll like it. It has character, though only when you push it. I miss ours quite a bit.

Edited by catscratch

I believe the 306hp engine in the 2nd generation G35x is supposed to be a bit nicer than the 1st gen (which I think was 280hp). (I was thinking second generation was 2007-2008 ). This one does pull nicely from a stop and through low revs, even at 6,000 feet elevation. True, gas mileage sucks but it's no worse than my Tribeca and both are getting about 17mpg in city only driving because we live up a big hill and that eats into the mileage a lot up here.

This car is pretty refined in ride and build quality, but I agree it's not on par with a BMW. However, I can't afford to maintain a BMW over the life of the car. The A4 and S60 were other cars I was interested in, but I only like the 2011 models and I like too many things that I can't afford.

How is the back seat space of a G35x compared to a 2010 WRX?

I've sat in both back seats, although on different days and not immediately after one another; and the G35x seems to be slightly wider than the 2010 WRX, although the person sitting in the center rear is perched higher and more precariously in the G35x. The biggest improvement in the G35x rear seating is in the legroom. With the WRX's driver seat slid back to a comfortable position for me as a driver, when I went to sit in the back seat I found the leg room of the WRX was totally inadequate. With the G35x I could adjust the driver's seat and then move to the back seat and still have room for my legs (I'm 5'-9").

The G35x back seat also seems a little wider than the back seat of our 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS, with a lot more leg room as well. Our Tribeca has a little better rear seat width than any of the above, but the G35x has just as good leg room or better in the back. With the Tribeca the kids sometimes complain that the front seats are too far back, but the G35x seems to be less of an issue. I need to keep the front seats slid back enough to stretch out my bad knees, and doing this doesn't kill the back seat's leg room in the G35x.