Grado again

ktm

I recently fell into a deal on Grado sr-100's that I couldn't pass up.

No, not the HP drivers. They appear to be pink,white lettering plastic grill.

Either way, they seem to sound better than other Grado's I've had around

here. Not up to the Stax sound, but pretty good with a Millet minimax.

Either way, $30 well spent.

I can see why it's well though of. It nails the proper sound of many instruments dead on, and does a pretty good job with female vocals.

The Stax kills it in soundstage and separation. But it is a fun headphone to listen to. And I'm all about budget!

Anyone can tell me how the SR-200 /w HP-1000 ranks up against other Grados (I mean HF-2 and HP-1000/HP-2). Just listening to a set of these (my first Grado) and in many ways it is seriously lagging being the HD250II which remains my favourite but the midrange is very nice so I might be interested in the other two mentioned.

Also, what pads to use with these?

The reason I ask is that the pads that I have with them are probably original pads which look more like flat pads but without any hole in the middle, do I guess right that the slight muddiness would disappear with flats but it also might become very uncomfortable to wear as the ears would touch the drivers.

The reason I ask is that the pads that I have with them are probably original pads which look more like flat pads but without any hole in the middle, do I guess right that the slight muddiness would disappear with flats but it also might become very uncomfortable to wear as the ears would touch the drivers.

sounds like you have the pads called "comfies". they are standard on the SR60. flats could help with the muddiness. personally I always found flats the most comfortable, YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I've done the reversed HD414 pad mod and yes the sound is clearly better while remaining comfortable but now the bass punch is lacking a little bit as the drivers could be closer, maybe it changes a little over time or I will try to flatten the pads if it doesn't. Maybe I should try cutting holes in the comfy pads as well?

Ok I've done the reversed HD414 pad mod and yes the sound is clearly better while remaining comfortable but now the bass punch is lacking a little bit as the drivers could be closer, maybe it changes a little over time or I will try to flatten the pads if it doesn't. Maybe I should try cutting holes in the comfy pads as well?

414 + more bass = flats

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone can tell me how the SR-200 /w HP-1000 ranks up against other Grados (I mean HF-2 and HP-1000/HP-2). Just listening to a set of these (my first Grado) and in many ways it is seriously lagging being the HD250II which remains my favourite but the midrange is very nice so I might be interested in the other two mentioned.

Also, what pads to use with these?

Definitely needs the flat pads. I have the SR200 and it's all about the midrange, and bass and treble enhance that midrange purity, rather than compete with it. Think of the SR200 as a less refined HP1000.