What are you drinking now, pt 2.

morphsci

Just saw this at the local Costco for $99.99

http://iblackedout.com/age-your-own-whiskey-kit-18865/

Heh, that's pretty awesome. Ends up with a much larger surface area than a normal barrel, which could be a good thing. Just bought a Costco membership myself, if I see one I'll buy it. I have no problem letting something sit for at least 5 years.

Edited by NightWoundsTime

CCB Humidor Series IPA. 2nd bottle I've had in a year and the first one must have been a fluke as it tasted like it was made with wild yeast which kinda gave it a sour IPA taste. Today's bottle has some serios Cedar notes in it....not quite sure if I like it over Jai Alai.

IMG_1416.jpg

The other thing you should note is what the level of mercury is. If it hasn't been tested for mercury level, with actual test results for the batch, I would not be using it.

Without question, you are spot on and I should have explicitly stated mercury testing, yet most independent third party labs, if not all, test for mercury when testing fish oil among other things.

Also, a lot of fish oil out there is molecularly distilled and after that process is at or near pharmaceutical grade levels. The Carlson fish oil that I take is tested in accordance with AOAC international protocols by an FDA-registered lab to ensure freshness, potency, and free of detrimental levels of mercury, cadmium, PCB's and 28 other contaminants.

Besides Carlson, the other brands I like are Dr. Sears Zone Omega Rx, which has the highest EPA and DHA, though, it's very expensive and doesn't taste great and Ascenta NurtraSea, which is very similar to Carlson, but more expensive.

In fact, I wouldn't buy a fish oil that wasn't third party tested. Plus the ones I mentioned use small cold water fatty fish such as sardines, anchovies, mackerel, and herring, but larger fish from the ocean or fish farms are more likely to contain toxin levels of mercury or pesticides. I am more concerned and limit eating sushi, fresh water fish and long living large ocean fish such as, but not limited to salmon, tuna, swordfish, and sharks because of the high mercury content and other contaminants.

.... Although it would be nice to try with their shit whiskey, it is also a new trend to "barrel age" cocktails to give them some depth. Manhattans, Negronis, and other cocktails without juice in them are supposed to be very nice after 5-7 weeks in a barrel. http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/

Hmm, that sounds interesting.

A pint of Peroni with an ounce of Campari in South Padre.

The drink and location sounds nice Marc.

Without question, you are spot on and I should have explicitly stated mercury testing, yet most independent third party labs, if not all, test for mercury when testing fish oil among other things. Also, a lot of fish oil out there is molecularly distilled and after that process is at or near pharmaceutical grade levels. The Carlson fish oil that I take is tested in accordance with AOAC international protocols by an FDA-registered lab to ensure freshness, potency, and free of detrimental levels of mercury, cadmium, PCB's and 28 other contaminants. Besides Carlson, the other brands I like are Dr. Sears Zone Omega Rx, which has the highest EPA and DHA, though, it's very expensive and doesn't taste great and Ascenta NurtraSea, which is very similar to Carlson, but more expensive. In fact, I wouldn't buy a fish oil that wasn't third party tested. Plus the ones I mentioned use small cold water fatty fish such as sardines, anchovies, mackerel, and herring, but larger fish from the ocean or fish farms are more likely to contain toxin levels of mercury or pesticides. I am more concerned and limit eating sushi, fresh water fish and long living large ocean fish such as, but not limited to salmon, tuna, swordfish, and sharks because of the high mercury content and other contaminants.

We use the Sears Zone Omega Rx and saying it doesn't taste great is an understatement. But we take it with a little organic grape juice and it goes down fine. I believe they were the first ones to publish the actual test results for everything,including contaminants for each of their lots. Even with the smaller fish I would be concerned with chronic buildup but they seem to have really gotten out in front of this with the quality brands. I worry about the cheaper stuff myself since in most cases it is a big unknown.

Allies Cocktail2oz dry gin2oz French vermouth .75oz KümmelShould have used Russian kümmel but German was all that was available. 18056ae2-8005-c9bc.jpg

Nice!

Me: In quick succession

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

Nice combo Jim! I am not sure that a Texas beach resort bar would have kümmel Marc, but it don't hurt to ask!

Seeing as it is whisky night, even though I am kümmel fixated I figured I would mix it up.

Alice Mine Cocktail

1oz kümmel

1oz Italian vermouth

2 dashs (.5oz) scotch whisky

Tasty stuff! Nice even though I'm not KILLING any bottles. :)

18056ae2-9159-8477.jpg