System Overhaul Thread

luvdunhill

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, make some progress today. The hardest part was dealing with the imperfections in the wood. For example this panel bowing out. I couldn't really clamp it, and the brads didn't really bring the pieces together all that well, for example:

post-482-0-14170200-1303606108_thumb.jpg

Things seemed to line up okay, the top in this case is just placed on for looks. I'll have to do some work to get it to fit well, but should be doable when the time comes:

post-482-0-06842300-1303606158_thumb.jpg

Last, I started sealing up the seams, where the caulk wouldn't block future pieces. There were definitely places that you could see a crack of daylight in the joints, so I'm hoping this will make things nice and air tight.

post-482-0-00632500-1303606170_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, I got stopped tonite as the next piece wasn't cut yet, and the next piece after that didn't fit all that well and will need to be trimmed. But, progress is good!

• 2 weeks later...

Made some more progress this weekend. This chamber starts at the back of the speaker, goes down then comes up to the second opening in the top that you can see in the picture.

I'm waiting for a few more pieces to be cut, so I"m hoping to start on the second speaker next.

post-482-0-10330600-1304949522_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve!

I found out tonite that that small support that you see in the center of the above picture is about 1mm too thick. The next board doesn't quite fit and it's clear that this support is the issue. Would it be easier to somehow try and sand that support down, or try and cut a 18mm channel in the next piece using my tracksaw? The support has a slight bow to it, so I'd have to cut the channel oversized. Is it possible to neatly plane down the edge of ply? Suggestions? :)

It would be much easier to take that 1mm off of the support piece. Sanding would work, but without a belt sander it would be a chore to get it right and get it even. Being me I of coarse have the perfect tool for the job, a power planer. It will work with the piece in place. You can set the porta-plane for just the thickness you need. It's pretty simple to use, and I could mail it to you. You could send it back when finished.

unnamedx.jpg

well, I just sanded it down by hand. Thanks for the offer! I might stil take you up on it.

Here's tonite's progress. Everything is a very nice fit.... it's coming together, only one more large turn in the horn, using about 7 pieces ... then I'll start on the front horn.

I started by constructing the next piece here:

post-482-0-46427400-1305254797_thumb.jpg

Then I screwed it in to the center support, using three screws. This is the first place I've had a nice perpendicular place to do this.

post-482-0-73581400-1305254835_thumb.jpg

Finally, some top pics to see the compression throat and the first chamber.

post-482-0-06273700-1305254903_thumb.jpg

post-482-0-52808700-1305254917_thumb.jpg

Moar pics! Are you doing something silly, like spending time with the family? :)

nope, getting frustrated. I need to "extend" the walls up a bit, say 1/4" or so.... how it stands now the driver frame won't fit in the throat :o Not sure if I'll have to resize the bending birch pieces or not. Also, I'm pretty sure the top is not cut right, I think we're off by a blade kerf on one side. Fortunately, I can cut this with my saw. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I have any pieces left that are big enough. So, yeah. I've decided to wait until later to address this, and start on the second speaker box :)

• 8 months later...