Tyll's Beyerdynamic DT 1350 Review

HiWire

Great review of these closed headphones, Tyll. I was looking for exactly this kind of can for years, but I ended up with the Alessandro MS-1 (no regrets) because of the compromises in various products. There are so many posts asking (with different wordings): "what is the best closed portable headphone for me?" online, including this forum.

Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, AKG, Beyerdynamic, etc. (this is before Shure and Denon came out with their new cans) all failed to meet my standards when I was shopping around. I wasn't a fan of IEMs (many people have an aversion to this style of headphone), although I did get a pair of Klipsch S4i for my iPod Shuffle 3G this Spring. They don't have the kind of isolation that IEMs or this set of Beyerdynamics provide, though.

One small thing I would like to mention: please put the headphones on your head on all your video reviews (e.g. your excellent AKG Q701 review). It's important to know what the cans look like on the noggin - we're all familiar with them "off-head" from various website photos. You did a fantastic job of modelling the DT 1350 this way.

I wouldn't be a Head-Caser if I didn't ask this: does the character of the DT 1350 change with amplification at all? I find most portable-style headphones are amplifier-agnostic (as long as gain is set at reasonable levels), but somebody is guaranteed to plug this into one of those portable headphone amplifiers...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to sound like a suck up, but damn you're doing a great job with Inner Fidelity already, Tyll. I hope Source Interlink realize that, given their previous experience with audio blogging seems to mainly encompass Stephen Mejias sharing about his new Ikea record shelves and the odd little scale on the end of his cock.

Edited by Hopstretch

Colour me intrigued! I'm looking for a small portable for work - something to replace my ESW9. I find them a bit slow and boring compared to my home rig, and phones with a bit more pep would be great.

So if anybody here has ever listened to both, I would love to hear their impressions. Saves me having to wade through a river of shit at Head-Fi...... :)

Edited by Beefy

One small thing I would like to mention: please put the headphones on your head on all your video reviews (e.g. your excellent AKG Q701 review). It's important to know what the cans look like on the noggin - we're all familiar with them "off-head" from various website photos. You did a fantastic job of modelling the DT 1350 this way.

Sure, good idea.

I wouldn't be a Head-Caser if I didn't ask this: does the character of the DT 1350 change with amplification at all? I find most portable-style headphones are amplifier-agnostic (as long as gain is set at reasonable levels), but somebody is guaranteed to plug this into one of those portable headphone amplifiers...

The iPhone is pretty good these days; with the TTVJ SLim the 1350 is better, sure; on my Desktop rig they're better still. So, yeah.

This is going to sound like a suck up, but damn you're doing a great job with Inner Fidelity already, Tyll. I hope Source Interlink realize that, given their previous experience with audio blogging seems to mainly encompass Stephen Mejias sharing about his new Ikea record shelves and the odd little scale on the end of his cock.

:)

They're treating me just fine.

If it is really as good as it is for a on ear closed headphone for both professionals and consumers is it worth the price compared to the HD25, K181, MDR 7506 etcetera? The review seems to suggest the DT1350 is worth the price...

I find the HD25 edgy; the K81DJ better than the 181; I don't like the 7506 very much at all, but I do like the MDR-V600 ... just that one. Yes, I think the 1350 is absolutely worth the price. Sealed headphones usually suck.

Colour me intrigued! I'm looking for a small portable for work - something to replace my ESW9. I find them a bit slow and boring compared to my home rig, and phones with a bit more pep would be great.

So if anybody here has ever listened to both, I would love to hear their impressions. Saves me having to wade through a river of shit at Head-Fi...... :)

I agree the ESW9 is slow sounding. I found the 1350 significantly better.

Is the polarity correct in both channels?

Yup. Finally. A bunch of their headphones have been polarity reversed, I sent the measurements to them; there was plenty of back and forth, I tell ya.

The last batch were correct polarity. :)

None were reversed one to the other like the airline headphones though.

And no shit, I like this job. I've mostly hated work all my life. If you know me well, you'll know self-discipline isn't a strong suit. It's not been easy ... it take way more time than I thought it would to write these things. I need to be right, I need to be interesting, I need to be authoritative, and I need to be entertaining ... and I need to get no bullshit numbers. I feel that pressure pretty heavily. I'm really not entirely sure what it's going to look like in the end. I'm sure it doesn't look like what the folks in NY thought it was going to look like; but the numbers are better than expected so they're letting me do what I think is right.

Problem is, I don't really know what right is. Mostly I'm just writing things down that I find interesting and that I think have been needed. There's a great post coming up Monday about somemore DIY Ortho cans. Fuckin' awesome shit, I think. Problem is, I really can't build the big numbers long-term with stuff like that. Basically, I need reviews on a million headphones. Ugh. That's the tough one.

My serious review of Phiaton headphones:

They look good if you like red and black; and they sound .... meh, middle of the pack.

I feel about that passionate about a lot of headphones. Digging up gems is fun, though, sure review a Beyer DJ headphone that sold like crap and is being discontinued but sounds good. BUt I need to review the shit that's getting Googled. Monster for example. I almost could make a living bashing them, but in the long run that's no fun.

On the upside, I hang on my back porch with computers and audio gear on my picnic table and play with headphones and right about them. How the fuck can you complain about that. I work 12 hours a day if you count posting on Head-Fi and switching the headphones a few times as I watch Netflix in bed. I'm sort of finding this weird audio lifestyle that mixes work and life .... and I'm loving it.

'Course there is Dalethorn (in my side) and his 20,000 word DT 1350 review in the forum areas that ranks higher than my review on Google. A couple of months of indexing should straighten the search rankings out. Dale will take longer.

Luv you guys!

Tyll

Well, that's the funny thing: meh, is pretty noteworthy given the shit that's out there.

For example, the Urbanears Plattan. WTF? And that's the good one in the line.

Why do people who sell handkerchiefs, jeans, and sunglasses think the need to make a headphone?

And, more to the point, what, exactly, are they thinking when they do, damit?

(Just workin' some commas in there. And, you'll notice, I worked in a hip apostrophe instead of a "ing" earlier within these parentheses.)

Anyway, have you heard and seen the Pioneer HDJ-2000? They're actually pretty good. The rest of the Pioneers, not so much ... one other one, a little bit, the rest no ... just no.

Another wee dram for me, I think. And then to bed with a couple of headphones, my iPad, and a full Netflix instant cue, eh?

Nighty night.

I listen predominantly to closed cans and was mostly disappointed by the HPs readily available - probably why I turned to DIY in the first place :-). Will seek out the Beyer's as I did like the early 90's DT's. ( can't say I have listened to many Beyers since except for the T1 when it came out.)

and awesome work Tyll, I have been slowly drudging through innerfidelity and it is some of the best audiojournalism yet. ( friggin hilarious too )

..dB

Oh ... my .... fucking ... God!!!! Mr. dBel84 is the fine, fine, fine fine fine gentleman who has sent his MOST exquisite DIY Ortho headphones in to me for the article I mentioned above.

I swear, I bow dude. I love your headphones. Their sweetness in my life over the past week has been extreme. THose portables with the hand stitched lambskin pad and ... what was it again .... "gruelingly carved and sanded" ear pieces was spectacular.

DIYOrtho_YamahaYHD2_dBel84HP4_photo.jpg

Fuck! I can get behind writing about those! I did in fact.

I about lost my head with your Zebrawood Wharfedales:

DIYOrtho_Wharfdale_dBel84HP1_photo.jpg

They measured like shit .... but I loved the sound.

When a hobbyist misses the mark technically, he's stilll got a headphone that sounds good.

When a dumbass manufacturer misses the mark, they got a snazzy looking headphone named after a rapper that sounds like shit because no one has been listening to it seriously.

Hi Donald!

Okay, I'm out, nighty night.

Edited by Tyll Hertsens

I wonder if this has anything to do with the ribbon flapping like a nekked swt running the 100 yard sprint . well at least I am not totally insane for liking their sound, if I had looked at the graph alone I probably wouldn't have put them on my head :lol: ..dB

Oh ... my .... fucking ... God!!!! Mr. dBel84 is the fine, fine, fine fine fine gentleman who has sent his MOST exquisite DIY Ortho headphones in to me for the article I mentioned above.

I swear, I bow dude. I love your headphones. Their sweetness in my life over the past week has been extreme. THose portables with the hand stitched lambskin pad and ... what was it again .... "gruelingly carved and sanded" ear pieces was spectacular.

DIYOrtho_YamahaYHD2_dBel84HP4_photo.jpg

Fuck! I can get behind writing about those! I did in fact.

I about lost my head with your Zebrawood Wharfedales:

DIYOrtho_Wharfdale_dBel84HP1_photo.jpg

They measured like shit .... but I loved the sound.

When a hobbyist misses the mark technically, he's stilll got a headphone that sounds good.

When a dumbass manufacturer misses the mark, they got a snazzy looking headphone named after a rapper that sounds like shit because no one has been listening to it seriously.

Tyll, I have a set of 120ohm SFI orthos with wood cups that Smeggy made for me, using my old AKG K240 headband and some Canare cable. I should send them to you to try out and measure/listen. But I missed where you gave an address to send them for review.