Suggestions for monitors

2deadeyes

Doesn't the Bose 901 come in White? It's the best speaker in the world!

Yes, we all know Bose makes the best stuff in the world - wonder why I don't own any of their stuff.

you know, this is a reasonable thread. maybe Stretch's new Vivids would do the job? no idea how much those are...

Thanks, I'll take a look @ that.

Has anyone has experience with speakers from Amphion?

Amphion Ion or Argon or Helium or whatever. In white.

EDIT: I posted this while you were bantering. The Amphions are very nice and have a lot of impact. Headroom used to offer the Harbeths or Amphions for their ultimate desktop setup. i liked the Amphions a lot but I was planning on quieter listening and wanted the warmth of the Harbeths so that is what i chose. For home use, I might have gone with the Amphions.

Edited by Voltron

the Amphions are cute, that's all the experience i have with them. lots of good speakers for $3k, is the finish being white really that important? are you looking for as full range as possible (given that they are monitors)? what compromises are acceptable?

White finish is not very important but preferable - sorta would like to stick with the overall theme of the new place. Ultimately, I'd take performance over looks any day. Full range is definitely possible (saves me the hassle of getting speaker stands) but I initially ruled them out due to price. If you can name a few full range that's within my budget, much appreciated.

Amphion Ion or Argon or Helium or whatever. In white.

EDIT: I posted this while you were bantering. The Amphions are very nice and have a lot of impact. Headroom used to offer the Harbeths or Amphions for their ultimate desktop setup. i liked the Amphions a lot but I was planning on quieter listening and wanted the warmth of the Harbeths so that is what i chose. For home use, I might have gone with the Amphions.

Thanks for the impressions. Would you say the Amphions were also warm (not as warm as the Harbeths?). Which model of the Harbeths?

Would you consider a DIY speaker? I have a quite nice Jordan - Aurum Cantus two-way for sale. Looking for around $1K for them, parts cost essentially. They would do very well with the Pass, as it has the balls to drive them. If you are curious, I have a bunch of pics I can email you...

Edited by luvdunhill

i bet the Monitor Audio RS-2 is pretty good. the RS-6 is a damn nice speaker, and it's in the same series.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Got a decent amount of reading to do. There's actually a pair of Thiel PCS on Audiogon right now (http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrmoni&1320862650&/Thiel-pcs-with-stands-free-shi) and they're definitely under consideration.

The Klein + Hummel stuff gets much praise from the pro audio types for being very accurate, maybe take a look into some of those.

Thanks but they seem to only make active monitors.

I'm assuming these are going to be stand mounted, right?

GIven tkam's experience and seeming like of them, I'd have a look at Selah. My experience falls far short of your budget.

Thanks! Will look into.

Yep, monitors will be stand-mounted.

Would you consider a DIY speaker? I have a quite nice Jordan - Aurum Cantus two-way for sale. Looking for around $1K for them, parts cost essentially. They would do very well with the Pass, as it has the balls to drive them. If you are curious, I have a bunch of pics I can email you...

Thanks for the offer but I will have to respectfully decline. Good luck with the sale.

A second vote for the Selah's. I consider myself very fortunate to have relieved Tkam of his monitors, the detail and smooth midrange are very special. I suspect luvdunhill's offer would be a similarly great choice ( not to mention value ) as the arum cantus is as well lilked as the raal by many and you would be hard pressed to find that level of quality for $1K.

and just for giggles, I really liked the 901 back in the day - stupendous soundstage with large orchestral works..dB

and just for giggles, I really liked the 901 back in the day - stupendous soundstage with large orchestral works..dB

Actually Don you're right about the soundstage. I think some tweaking could have made the design a winner. A front facing actual tweeter would be a must though

• 3 weeks later...

For 2K you could consider the Harbeth Compact P3, which I really enjoyed here at RMAF this weekend. I also really enjoyed the PSB Imagine Mini for 1/3 the price, enough that I bought the demo pair. The imaging, detail and texture with both of these is astounding for the price, and they both had surprising bass for the size.