Everything posted by Dusty Chalk
-
Tweaks that shouldn't work, but do
Well, think about it -- current induces magnetic fields which are orthogonal to the direction of the current; jiggling current (jiggling is orthogonal to current) causes current in new and wonderful directions (now back to in the same direction as current and/or perpendicular -- it's kind of like measuring turbulence)...hence, noise/hash/distortion.
-
Tweaks that shouldn't work, but do
- Tweaks that shouldn't work, but do
- Why aren't powered speakers more popular?
It's a guy thing. You know how the only thing you really need to know in a car is the horsepower, but guys still need to know their displacement? It's like that. It's like saying, "I don't want to have to think about the amp, just get me some good powered speakers." They want to know that Bryston made the amps in the PMC Actives (which they do). There's also Meridian, ATC, Dynaudio, and Quad. I'm sure there are others.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Yes, I remain skeptical. Hirsch did have the other pair at one point, which I'm sure he would have let me hear, as I've had this same argument with him. On their best days, they were still "lean" in the bass, and I don't remember them ever having the impact of my L3000's (yes, I now understand that comment was made in jest, but my confusion should have been clear since my "bs" post was responding directly to that, and you responded to my bs post). I do. I do want to hear R10's with bass. That would be awesome. However at this point, it sounds fantastical. I'm quite happy with my L3000's (other than the minor midrange swale, which I understand can be fixed with a recable). I'm sure it's probably the best R10's can muster, but I remain skeptical that it is adequate to my admittedly spoiled ears. However, the visit won't be happening any time soon. Thanks for the invite all the same, I may take you up on it at some point in the future.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Oh. Well, I was cloh...oh, who am I kidding, I was way off.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Where is "here"? I'm going to San Francisco in early October. You're in California somewhere, right? No, I don't. Why would someone who likes bass have bought R10's without having heard what they were capable of, which, presumably, you hadn't, until you coaxed this theoretical "bass" out of them?- Don't Laugh: Cerwin Vega VS-150
Try audiokarma.org or audioreview.com.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Heynow. I am skeptical to the point of ruling it out until proven otherwise, but if I ever do hear what I would even call adequate bass ("lean" does not count, I've heard lean) out of the R10's, I will...um...admit it. I'm not one of those guys who can't be proven wrong -- I hate being wrong, so if it is pointed out that I am wrong, I will be the first to jump, so that the window of being wrong is as short as possible. "Killer bass" -- that includes impact.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Well, "transparent" is something that a system is more or less of. There is no such thing as a completely transparent system. That said, there was a layer of "hash" that was missing in the first Singlepower I ever heard compared to every other amp I've ever heard. The Singlepower Supra is pretty much the only amp I know of that have this transparency. An order of magnitude, really.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
Well, admittedly, "bass" is not what Hirsch "tuned" his amp to the R10's for. But I've had this discussion with him, and he's tried to get bass out of R10's, and the best he could do was LS3/5A bass (I.E. it may have been controlled, but it starts trailing off early, I wouldn't call it deep, although it was deeper than it appears on first listen). But he tries to get at least a semblance of full frequency response, and it's just not there. Also, I don't think this is true -- Hirsch has two R10's, and I don't think he kept the bass-light versions in both cases -- one of the ones he has is definitely a later serial number R10, though I'm not sure if that's the balanced one or the single-ended one. It's the early models that are bass-light. And unfortunately, I don't think he has the high-voltage switch -- that's just not an option on his amp, AFAIK.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
No, really, you can stop with the joking now. I've heard R10's. They don't even have bass potential. And to compare it to the L3000? Dude, that's the bass reference. Tell me what tubes you are using, please. Hirsch has a balanced R10 and a SDS XLR, and he probably has that particular tube compliment -- if he does, I will take a listen for myself. And you will laugh, "ha! He fell for it. He actually thought that a R10 could have bass!" PS I got my Rotrings. They have little red circles on them. Other than that, they're all black.- What are you EATING right now?
Just finished a sammich from Quizno's.- Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?
- Why aren't powered speakers more popular?
Yeah, I think that's it. The only disadvantage is that you have to buy them together. It'd be cool if some high-end speakers came with active crossovers instead of passive, but then you'd be obliged to (a) get monoblocks, and ( get one for each driver set (I.E. normally, in a 3-way design, you'd need 6 monoblocks, but if you had symmetrical midrange drivers or something, you'd theoretically only need one amplifier for both midrange drivers -- but that's the exception, not the rule).- Should I buy Quad 22L's as my first real speakers?
I think you mean url, not irl. (Universal Resource Locator vs. In Real Life, LOL).- August 25th NorCal Regional Meet
- October DC area meet
I'm going to be out of town on 10/6, and still en route back on 10/13, alas.- Closed Phone for $100??
I'd go shiny (and one "reality" pic).- Your recent music purchases
Living Stereo SACD's this weekend: Dvor?k's New World Symphony and Other Orchestral Masterworks Ravel: Bolero; La Valse; Rapsodie Espagnole The Chopin Ballades & Scherzos- Should I buy Quad 22L's as my first real speakers?
Oh, yeah, I remember those! I had just forgotten that was you that got them. Sweet.- Should I buy Quad 22L's as my first real speakers?
Dew eet. From everything you describe, they should be exactly what you're looking for, and if you end up being unhappy with them, I don't think you'll lose any money in the long run. I have to wonder why tkam is selling them, though. Is there anything wrong with this particular pair, Todd? I can't purchase them at this time, otherwise I would in a heartbeat.- Do the smilie icons all look the same?
- Me and my Zana Deux (+ pics)...
Oh, and: really nice pics.- Do the smilie icons all look the same?
I liked postjack's post! With one minor quibble: Wait, what? Why does it appear to you that he's "kind of...sad"? It's more like "poker face tongue smilie". "Poker face" does not equal "kind of sad". - Tweaks that shouldn't work, but do
Important Information
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.