Chair: Steelcase Leap or Herman Miller Aeron or neither

shellylh

I need a new chair for the home office. The cheapo Office Depot one is just not giving me the back support I need (even with a lumbar support attached). It is too big. I don't want to spend more than $1000. I was looking at the Herman Miller Aeron and Steelcase Leap. I also considered the Humanscale Freedom but it is more than the other two and doesn't seem to be any better. The reason for the Aeron is because I am 5'2" and I can get the small (size A) one. Almost all other chairs are one size fits all with adjustments. I've tried the Aeron and it seems good. I cannot find a place nearby to try the Leap. Any suggestions/preferences? Anyone on the short side use the Leap?

Edited by shellylh

I have thought about a kneeling chair but would have to wait for a couple more months (don't think either of these options would be good right now with my hip healing). The chair in my office is good (a midback Lifeform) just way more than I want to spend. My core is plenty strong (especially now doing months of planks and such for my physical therapy).

I have no literature to back this up, but I find that standard four-legged chairs (no wheels) are easier on my back, as they discourage my natural inclination to slouch. My undergraduate university had a computer lab with molded plywood chairs. They were only comfortable if you sat with good posture, and I found this actually made me a bit more productive, even if I couldn't wheel around the way I preferred.

My current home office chair is from my dining room set. It has a plush seat and a woven (wicker, sort of) back. It's comfy and gives some support, but it doesn't lend itself to leaning way back. I wouldn't go back to a wheeled task chair.

YMMV.

The Leap's a good choice, and being from Grand Rapids I can afirm that the Steelcase folks are still serious about product quality.

On a side note; for some unkown reason the government built my sister's six-o'clock fairly close to the sidewalk.

If you're similarly configured, you might consider the "Steelcase Leap 462 Stool" which supplements the standard Leap with a height adjustable foot rest.

84aa9526.jpg

I have never sat in a steelcase, so I can't give any meaningful opinion on those. I have used the Aeron and own an Embody. I really liked the Aeron. It is so bouncy and feels great. The pressure point on the edge under the your thigh concerned me however. I was worried about vascular occlusion. I don't know if there are any reported cases or not, so I may just be paranoid.

The Embody has very polarizing reviews online, and I had never sat in one. I was unwilling to shell out that kind of money for a chair that a large number of people don't like. I contacted Herman Miller, and a rep got in touch with me. They were very slow, maybe two months from first contact, but they brought a chair to my house to demo. I ordered one a week or so later, and have been very happy. It is not a "comfortable" chair like the Aeron. It is much more firm, but it has nice back support and causes no pressure point issues after a full day of sitting. No ass pain like some chairs leave you with. it is not a chair I would recommend anyone buy without testing first. I could see people preferring a less firm chair.

I know it's expensive, but I use it a lot and it has a 12 year warranty.

I have an Aeron at work and home. I like them greatly, but highly recommend the forward tilt option for the thigh issue above (not to mention correct sitting). Regret not getting it. My jeans wear first on the seat edge, which seems a bad sign. One at home has a mechanical issue, but I have no idea of larger failure rates. Also no experience with the other chair.

I like the Allsteel Acuity we have at work now more than the old Aerons. Both blow away what I have at home though. I need an upgrade.

I have this chair at work as well and love it... wish I had something so nice at home, but am currently using some kit chair from Canadian Tire that I built. Not bad for the $100 sale price, but that's not saying much of course.