Whitney Houston dead at age 48

Wmcmanus

Very sad news today. No real details yet.

Far too young. RIP beautiful lady, you will be missed.

http://blogs.wsj.com...dead-at-age-48/

http://blogs.wsj.com...dead-at-age-48/

Similar links can be found on the abc, huffington post, and cbc websites (among others), so it seems to be confirmed... although none of them have provided any details at this point.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Informative video there. I take it you were making a large donation before you mislinked?

R.I.P. Whitney Houston. Hopefully your kids make it out normal and don't get themselves another reality show.

Fixed that. No, actually, I was watching with great fascination, pondering the question as to how we've come to the point as a nation where it's perfectly acceptable for a sitting President to make such a blatantly racist appeal. "Vote for me, since I'm black like you. Look at your skin, then look at mine. See? We're the same! That's all there is to it. So vote for me. End of story." I was imaging what it would like if a white candidate would make the same appeal to all European Americans... but, ya, whatever... sorry for the mislink.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Whitney Houston RIP.

Fixed that. No, actually, I was watching with great fascination, pondering the question as to how we've come to the point as a nation where it's perfectly acceptable for a sitting President to make such a blatantly racist appeal. "Vote for me, since I'm black like you. Look at your skin, then look at mine. See? We're the same! That's all there is to it. So vote for me. End of story." I was imaging what it would like if a white candidate would make the same appeal to all European Americans... but, ya, whatever... sorry for the mislink.

As far as I ca see it's not much different than:

gun owners for "insert Republican"

But ymmv.

Edited by Dreadhead

Whitney Houston RIP.

As far as I ca see it's not much different than:

gun owners for "insert Republican"

But ymmv.

No, not even close.

People become gun rights activists and NRA members by choice. Black people are black for obvious reasons, and choice is not one of them. Gun rights people are of many ethnicities and rally around a central cause. Black people are all over the place politically, so to lump them all together and imply that they should vote for a HALF black man because of the color of his skin is just a socially acceptable form of racism. This kind only works for minorities though. Wmcmanus is right on here.

Regarding Whitney Houston, she had an amazing voice. It's too bad that she couldn't keep clean. RIP.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

No, not even close.

People become gun rights activists and NRA members by choice. Black people are black for obvious reasons, and choice is not one of them. Gun rights people are of many ethnicities (just ask the shop owners in Koreatown during the '92 LA riots) and rally around a central cause. Black people are all over the place politically, so to lump them all together and imply that they should vote for a HALF black man because of the color of his skin is just a socially acceptable form of racism. This kind only works for minorities though. Wmcmanus is right on here.

Regarding Whitney Houston, she had an amazing voice. It's toobad that she couldn't keep clean. RIP.

You do realize that there are "gun owners for Obama" stickers too (who is lumping now) also that there have been "African Americans for W" stickers etc. It's basically group name for person. It's how it goes.

good example :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/African-Americans-For-Ron-Paul/180006005405016

Edited by Dreadhead

You do realize that there are "gun owners for Obama" stickers too (who is lumping now) also that there have been "African Americans for W" stickers etc. It's basically group name for person. It's how it goes.

good example :

http://www.facebook....180006005405016

What in the hell are you talking about with this post?

I never lumped gun owners into anything. You mentioned gun owners and republicans in the same sentence, thereby implying that republicans are more likely to pander to gun owners. News flash, they are, because they are more lax on gun laws.

As far as your "gun owners for Obama" and "African Americans for W" nonsense: you have it all wrong. If there is a market for bumper stickers, they will be made, period. You really think George Bush announced an "African Americans for Bush" campaign? He would have been crucified by the media as being disingenuous and racist by many. These stickers are being bought by individuals who agree with the candidates' values.

Your Facebook example furthers my point. Ron Paul has not announced an "African Americans for Ron Paul" campaign. That page was written by someone or some people. And only 292 people care enough about it to even click the mouse to like it.

None of that matters; however, because you missed my point entirely, so I will say it again in a different way:

Generally speaking, politicians (ALL of them) pander to voters' values, whether they be social (foreign policy, abortion, entitlement programs, etc) or fiscal (wall street, tax structure, capital gains, budget cuts, etc). Rick Santorum is a MUCH different panderer than Ron Paul, but both of them appeal to people's values. Obama, with this new ad, is pandering to skin color. This is not some cheesy bumper sticker brought on my simple capitalism. This is our current president doing this. Oh sure, some people might object to that conclusion, but let's call it what it is: Obama wants Blacks to vote for him because he is black (half at that)... and he is using Black History month as a backdrop. I do not know why he is introducing skin color into the equation, since so many have fought to take out skin color in hopes they "will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Now imagine if a white candidate announced a "Whites for _____" campaign...

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Ron Paul... And only 292 people care enough about it to even click the mouse to like it.

As compared to 56,549. https://www.facebook.com/africanamericansforobama

I was merely pointing out that it was racist, and I wouldn't have even done that if Matt hadn't goaded me about making a large donation, which was actually kind of funny, BTW.

But socially acceptable racism or not, I don't blame Obama for pandering to black voters by appealing to slavery and oppression and such. If I were him, I'd do the same thing (if I knew I could get away with it). He knows that he doesn't need to run on his record. Anywhere from 95-98% of black voters (that's the range I've seen reported) punched his name on their tickets in 2008, and he currently has an 89% approval rating among black voters. So he doesn't need to appeal to them on any other level other than merely being black himself. That gives him a 10% head start at the ballot box. Who wouldn't take that deal?

The fact is that Democratic party members have been making appeals of this type for years but now it's a black (half black) president (with 3/4 black kids.. What's the obsession with fraction?) it's different. I don't get it.

Really? You don't get it? He was voted in based on his promise for "change". This is more of the same.

The title of his campaign and his skin color go together. It's simple psychology. Human's are not so evolved to be free from skin color preferences and alliances, whether they be raging or subconscious and/or minuscule. All it takes is some linguistic finesse and appeals to emotions (and a person with the same skin color), and you have a winning strategy. Don't tell me this was not planned down to the sentence structure in the speech.

I don't like it, because it is so plainly divisive.

Actually, this kind of reminds me of the OJ trial. Once OJ's lawyers had an all black jury it was game over. Then OJ tensed up his hand as he attempted to (err, attempted not to) put on the glove while making a contorted and perplexed face, as though he was so shocked and outraged that someone would dare suggest that this glove was his. Then right on cue, Johnnie Cochran delivered his rehearsed knock out blow, "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!" If your skin color matches his, then you've got to have his back. History repeating itself.

The analogy comes full circle when considering public opinion at the time. They were operating with the same sort of ratios. Something like 95-98% of all blacks believed that OJ was innocent, or at least should be acquitted. Whereas, less than 20% of all other Americans (of whatever race/ethnicity) believed that he was innocent, and most of them still believed he did it, but should be let off on one technicality or another.

I don't know exactly what drives that, and I don't blame OJ's defense team for taking that strategy, nor do I really blame Obama for doing whatever he can do to win his battle. I just think it's fair to point out that this is exactly what he's doing, and whether you agree with his politics or not, you should at least admit that this is the reality of the matter. If you can't see that, then you must be totally blind, because you sure would see it (and be completely outraged by his racism) if Romney made the same blatant appeal to white Americans... without talking about a single thing in his video except for the commonality of their shared race.

Edited by Wmcmanus

Actually, this kind of reminds me of the OJ trial. Once OJ's lawyers had an all black jury it was game over. Then OJ tensed up his hand as he attempted to (err, attempted not to) put on the glove while making a contorted and perplexed face, as though he was so shocked and outraged that someone would dare suggest that this glove was his. Then right on cue, Johnnie Cochran delivered his rehearsed knock out blow, "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!" If your skin color matches his, then you've got to have his back. History repeating itself.

Yeah, I remember all of that. It was a sad reflection on our society here. How people can be so entrenched in beliefs based on superficial things is beyond me.

Politics should be all about judging people on their actions and nothing else (how very naive of me, I know). To appeal to such a sensitive issue in this country for political gain is pathetic, no matter who does it. It's just this time, it is so plainly obvious.

Here's a direct quote from another forum that I frequent, where I started a similar "RIP Whitney Houston" thread... mind you, this was his entire post! People really amaze me with their 'world views' sometimes.

"I was always disappointed that she didn't continue to produce the work that I enjoyed so much. Now there will never be more. Too bad."

I often hoped that she would lend her vocal talents to other music genres.....say, Metal? Wishful thinking on my part, but now we'll never know.

The closest thing to her in the metal world is Floor Jansen. She is an unbelievable singer, but the bands that she was/is with are pretty shallow and bad. It's a shame, because Floor is my favorite female singer.