Mini-Meet OC (Irvine) May 28, 2012

purrin

Sunday May 27, 2012 EVENT IS NOW CLOSED - OUT OF SPACE.

Attendees:

1. Teufelshunde
  2. n3rdling
  3. Anaxilus
  4. Melomaniac
  5. eggil
  6. 909
  7. Iron Dreamer?
  8. LFF?
  9. Asr
  10. blubliss?

Limiting space to 6-7. If space gets tight, I would give priority to people I know (or someone I know who can vouch for you.) Serving beef ribs slow-cooked for 8 hours in my Egg. I'm open to moving it somewhere else within 10 miles of where I live. Too many meets all over the state for me this year.

Possible meeting to coordinate and help with the details of the "big" August meet @ LAX if anyone interested.

Edited by purrin

ah, I'd be interested, too

I'll get back to you. I am a little bit leery and am "high alert" right now because some idiot using an IP address based in Socal (and then again using a proxy based in Canada) signed-in to my website spamming racist shit. I guess I've insulted too many peoples' favorite amps on HF. Always need to be careful with emotionally unstable people - I have a family with kids. I'm not implying you are one of those crazies or wierdos, but it would be good if someone I knew could vouch for you.

Edited by purrin

I am interested if there is still room

Since I don't know you, can you PM me and tell me a little bit about yourself. Or fill in your profile.

You are in as long you as you are not Dale Thorn - which I doubt- because you building / built a KGSS. How's that coming along?

• 3 weeks later...

It's not the distance... it's the utter ridiculousness of the return trip on a Sunday evening. When I drove back from the last Irvine meet, I think I was stuck at the 5/101 split for a good 45minutes. 75min to get to the meet, over 120 to get back. Don't hold a spot open for me, as I can't yet guarantee I'll come down.

When in the heck did you get/build a T2? I thought you were done with electrostats.

• 3 weeks later...

Superb single malts were served, Pete's foccacia was flavorful, and Marv's short ribs were sublime.

The T2 was terrific and the Stax were the max.

A good time was had by all.

And who knew you could source 24/192 FLAC from a 1st gen iPad.

Edited by teufelshunde

I feel asleep for a few minutes after that meal when comparing the portables.

I guess this ended up more a micro-meet, but sometimes that could be a good thing.

The DSHA-1 was sublime. Tried HD800, LCD3, HP1000, and HF2 on them. Really hard to pin-point the sound because it had some of the best of solid-state and tube qualities.

That NAD M51 DAC is the schitt though. We set things up for a head to head comparison with the PWDmk2 (2.02) out of the BA. The M51 had the same tone of the PWDmk2, little bit more delicate in the highs (PWDmk2 was a hair more dry with bite). Tons of bass to flesh out the bottom. Differences were subtle: PWD had more dynamic gradation, more able to play loudest sounds louder and softest sounds softer; and its soundstage was more open. Both had equivalent scary levels of resolving power and weight. The NAD USB seemed largely immune to data source (iPad and PC: sounded the same to me.)

Edited by purrin