New Sony MDR-1: Three different variants

Eric5676

http://www.bigpictur...eadphones.shtml

Earlier today, Sony made a big splash with the debut of the company's 84-inch 4K TV. However, today wasn't just about the big picture; Sony plans to crank out some pretty big sound as well, via its MDR-1 headphones.

Yes, headphones. The newly announced MDR-1 is a premium headband-type headphone product, designed in conjunction with Sony Music Entertainment. Available in three flavors, the company is planning to launch a standard model, as well as Bluetooth wireless and digital noise canceling versions of the product.

Boasting a "Beat Response Control" design, each of the MDR-1 models has a new 40mm Liquid Crystal Polymer (LCP) driver and a response range of 4Hz to 80kHz. A closed back promises maximum isolation and exceptional bass response, while enlarged air vents at the back of each driver boast a quick and rhythmic low frequency response.

Designed to rock out all day, the standard MDR-1R model has comfy ear cushions and an acoustic seal. Sony also says that the MDR-1R has a unique hanger structure that actually moves the headphones' housing axis inward, for a better fit.

All three models have everything mentioned above, but the MDR-1RBT Bluetooth headset adds in the option to listen without wires. Promising up to 30 hours of playback on a single charge, this model also has One Touch by Sony incorporating Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which basically means that you only need to touch compatible devices to establish a connection. No setup process or configurations are needed.

The third MDR-1 model in the line is the MDR-1RNC. This option features Sony's Artificial Intelligence Noise Canceling technology, which promises to reduce up to 99.7 percent of ambient noise whether on an airplane, on a train or in an office. The MDR-1RNC also boasts about 22 hours of battery life.

Sony plans to start shipping the MDR-1R, the MDR-1RBT and the MDR-1RNC sometime this November. Expect prices to be listed at $299, $399 and $499, respectively.

• 4 months later...
Pfff. Tyll doesn't do Sony.

Pffft. Sure I do.  I like the 1R, it's not as neutral as the Momentum, to me, but it's pretty good.

The comfort and looks are outstanding, however.  I'm trying to get my hands on all three variants for review.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't fuck up the sound for NC and BT.