Mac Mini based music transport questions

swt61

So I just bought a used G4 Mac Mini for $89.00. Thought I'd try it out, now that I have a USB DAC.

I guess at this point my plan is just Mini to Zdac via USB, and iTunes as player. Not sure what operating system is on the Mini (should arrive before the first of Dec.)

I've browsed for small LED monitors, but with no luck. Is there an iPad sized monitor out there?

Curious about how everyone else is running their Mini based setups, all advice welcomed.

I still want a mini LED or LCD monitor with touch capability but haven't found one. The iPad options are not great IMO but it would be perfect if they were. I have used either a crappy LCD or an old school Apple monitor that is relatively small. I also use Amarra on top of iTunes and think it is a nice improvement, but you can see if you like the computer setup before committing to that. Jim had Amarra Mini until recently so maybe he could tell you the differences between iTunes and the Mini vs full Amarra.

Mini is no more Al, but they let anybody with a Mini license upgrade to Amarra. They now have Amarra HiFi ($49), Amarra ($189) and Amarra Symphony ($495) (current Amarra users get a free upgrade with their license). The main difference between HiFi and full Amarra is that the Hifi is pretty much tied to iTunes and it is lower ( but still 192 kHz) resolution. They have a nice comparison on their website. I just started using airplay but so far it is pretty good. I previously used remote HD which worked just fine. I basically just want to be able to lean back in the chair like a slug and it works fine for that.

So are you saying that with the purchase of an Apple TV, I can use Airplay to send content from my Mini to my iPad, and control my content from the iPad?

Also, my Zdac is 192 kHz. Is there any reason to buy above Amarra HiFi?

Thanks for all the help BTW!

Edited by swt61

AirPlay is for using the ipad to mirror or extend the monitor on your mini. The main reason I use Amarra is that it makes playing different resolution files seamless and I like their DSP options. When I bought Amarra mini it was the cheapest option. If I was buying it new today I would probably just buy the Amarra HiFi.

Edited by morphsci

Steve, I use my Mac Mini FW out to my ULN8 using basic iTunes and old 15 inch LCD monitor. I am limited to a 15 inch monitor because of the location of the gear and Mary will not allow anything larger in my listening room which is also the living room. I am waiting for Al's mini LED touch screen or better iPad interface solution to surface somewhere sometime.

I need to stop drinking. Replace AirPlay with Air Display in all my posts above. facepalm.png

Don't go to such drastic means, but this does make much more sense to me now.

That'll give me the freedom to place the Mini monitor anywhere, and use the iPad for control.

Now, one more question...can I move my PC based iTunes files straight over to the Mac?