Some power questions

postjack

At the risk of being made fun of a bit ;), I have to admit to you all that I've had concerns with my power situation. I've done some searching and reading around here and elsewhere, and it seems that power conditioning and other power solutions could help to improve a system if that system is in an older home. Well my home is older, and my primary concern is that all of the outlets are NEMA 1-15 ungrounded two prong outlets, so I have to use one of those three prong to two prong converters in order to hook up most anything into the wall, and then those are running through some inexpensive surge protectors. Here are some pics:

power020307001gr3.jpg

power020307002qm2.jpg

power020307003fa8.jpg

power020307004pw6.jpg

So should I consider either installing NEMA 5-15 grounded outlets, or some kind of power conditioning solution, or should I just relax and goto best buy to buy some old Ministry albums? :) Thanks all.

I would look into an Outlet if I were you. sounds like B/S but I heard a huge difference from my older outlet (something hosp grade forgot the name) to a Oyaide SWO-XXX outlet. I would put the outlet second to room acoustics as the most important part of a setup, really.

If you only have two wires going to the outlet you can still have a ground as long as the outlet is mounted in a metal box..not a true hardcore ground but its a ground (most older homes have this. My dedicated line is only two wires also).

For less then $100 if worth a shot on the Oyaide but there are shit loads of other outlets out there also, hooking it up is easy as shit.

I don't find changing the outlet makes much of a difference in a headphone rig. Speaker people rave about it though. I have a few nice outlets. ^^

Biggie.

I always suspected that these power tweaks often have more noticeable effects in speaker rigs due to the much higher current levels involved. When fiddling with power cables, the only place in my ex-system that I ever found an audible difference was with my powered monitors which drew up to 200W each.

Replacing a non-grounded outlet with a grounded outlet that isn't grounded is a potential fire hazard, and isn't to code. Not to mention if you don't cut off the right circuit before doing it, the life at risk is your own. You're really better off not replacing outlets just to be able to avoid a ground lift. If you're concerned about the power in the building, get a regenerating power conditioner.

I always suspected that these power tweaks often have more noticeable effects in speaker rigs due to the much higher current levels involved. When fiddling with power cables, the only place in my ex-system that I ever found an audible difference was with my powered monitors which drew up to 200W each.

On the power side of my headphone system, an isolation transformer rated at at least 10amps has made the most significant change to the sound (cleaned up all sorts of high end grunge and added heft to the bass). Next was a power cord for my power amp. Putting digital and analogue on seperate outlets with caps helped lower the noise floor a little bit. I also added an emi/rfi filter, which didn't do much to the sound, but I can see how it could do a lot, depending on the situation. The outlet changes resulted in minimal changes in transparency. I would say they weren't worth the money.

Biggie.

Replacing a non-grounded outlet with a grounded outlet that isn't grounded is a potential fire hazard, and isn't to code. Not to mention if you don't cut off the right circuit before doing it, the life at risk is your own. You're really better off not replacing outlets just to be able to avoid a ground lift. If you're concerned about the power in the building, get a regenerating power conditioner.

grounded in terms of a separate third wire you mean? if then no your wrong..most buildings are wired with two wire (hot,cold) and no separate Ground wire..instead they use the gang box (metal) as a ground (the box is attached to metal pipes also), but there is no third wire. the ground is made by the metal brackets touching the box itself...merry Christmas it has been grounded. I have many of ground testers (most power strips have these also) and every one has lit up as being grounded..but like I said there is no third actual wire being run.

and as far as risking your life is pure bullshit, 110/120 volts will NOT kill you. fuck it wont even fuck you up for a long time. this is one of the smaller reasons why America is ran this way. also there is the thing called a circuit breaker or fuse btw...and again one of the reasons for this is just in case someone gets a shock.

I have been shocked three times and yeah it hurts but you rite back up a few seconds (thank god for breakers and 110).

as far as the ground being a fire hazard um..no again. what can cause a fire (and the major concern, and only one) is hot and cold touchy touchy something and bye bye home. make sure the wires a seated in the outlet and secured like a mother fucker and there will never be a problem..wires come loose you screwed.

having the outlet is the second most important thing to a system, the contact is what its all about..tight contact equals good contact.

grounded in terms of a separate third wire you mean? if then no your wrong..most buildings are wired with two wire (hot,cold) and no separate Ground wire..instead they use the gang box (metal) as a ground (the box is attached to metal pipes also), but there is no third wire. the ground is made by the metal brackets touching the box itself...merry Christmas it has been grounded. I have many of ground testers (most power strips have these also) and every one has lit up as being grounded..but like I said there is no third actual wire being run.

and as far as risking your life is pure bullshit, 110/120 volts will NOT kill you. fuck it wont even fuck you up for a long time. this is one of the smaller reasons why America is ran this way. also there is the thing called a circuit breaker or fuse btw...and again one of the reasons for this is just in case someone gets a shock.

I have been shocked three times and yeah it hurts but you rite back up a few seconds (thank god for breakers and 110).

as far as the ground being a fire hazard um..no again. what can cause a fire (and the major concern, and only one) is hot and cold touchy touchy something and bye bye home. make sure the wires a seated in the outlet and secured like a mother fucker and there will never be a problem..wires come loose you screwed.

having the outlet is the second most important thing to a system, the contact is what its all about..tight contact equals good contact.

Billy, you uneducated piece of shit.. go back to your grocery store and stop speaking out your ass.

a 12v car battery can potentially kill you. Voltage has almost nothing to do with it. Current kills, as it takes less than .1A of current to kill. The reason people fear high voltage, is it has a greater potential of getting through the skin's natural resistance. In the right circumstances, 110 can and will kill.

Also, I don't know about code, but I know that the outlets in my house AND dorm room have 3 wires run to the outlets. Are these actually grounded? Simple continuity test says yes.. but where do the wires run to? Beats me.. but they ARE grounded, and there ARE 3 wires. I have seen them myself.

grounded in terms of a separate third wire you mean? if then no your wrong..most buildings are wired with two wire (hot,cold) and no separate Ground wire..

Billy, the grounded, 3 prong plug was invented 80 years ago so it's not exactly new science. And an metal box in your wall does not equal a grounded outlet. Your tester is a piece of shit if it thinks it is. Perhaps Dr. Gilmore can step in here and enlighten your further. ::)

lol umm buddy car's are DC, DC will kill you not A/C..and as far as anything else you shot out of your mouth....

also this may be the time for you stick your little words in your tough mouth cause you understand i own a lighting production company and I AM ..

READ THIS CLOSE OK?

A licensed Electrician..and tested and passed two years back...I don't use this as a Career but instead of installing on my business,,

then again this would not be the first time you put your mouth in your foot...and you cant edit it. congrats on making yourself look like shit.

Fan fucking tastic. You are an Electrician.. AKA a monkey with wire strippers.

Clearly you don't have a FUCKING CLUE about what you say you work on. DC or AC... CURRENT KILLS, not voltage. What's the difference between DC and AC Billy? As far as your body is concerned... there isn't one. These will still be a current flowing through your heart. Done deal.

Do yourself a favor, go up to your prescious 'safe' ac... and hook it up to your testicles. You tell me what happens.

Who taught you basic electronics? Your butt buddy Ray Samuels?

Fan fucking tastic. You are an Electrician.. AKA a monkey with wire strippers.

Clearly you don't have a FUCKING CLUE about what you say you work on. DC or AC... CURRENT KILLS, not voltage. What's the difference between DC and AC Billy? As far as your body is concerned... there isn't one. These will still be a current flowing through your heart. Done deal.

Do yourself a favor, go up to your prescious 'safe' ac... and hook it up to your testicles. You tell me what happens.

Who taught you basic electronics? Your butt buddy Ray Samuels?

PWNED!

First off let Mr. Gilmore (since you seem to include him in) come in and explain why an someone would tell you 110 won't kill you..remember where talking about wiring of an outlet not standing in a tub of water..

second we all showed everyone of level of maturity with the names...sure your Internet penis may feel big but you showed everyone how small you are (at least in your head).

third..Jb ..um are you going to the national meet by any chance? if so then i will be there and you will have your chance to call me that in my face..

really.. :-*

(this includes anyone else that may feel the need and be at that meet).

Fourth honestly are you worth my time to explain anything? no..

but I will tell you that 110 will not kill (as in wiring an outlet) (on dry land...lol). how many children have been shocked? do they die? no

like I said I have been three times and they hurt like hell but you can shake them (the shock) off after a few mins. second time I did was bad..felt like every blood cell in my body was on fire...don't get me wrong its not something you want to do but its not commonly something you get killed from.

and as far as the ground wire goes Chicago code is to run conduit (few exceptions)..so instead of running a third wire most people use the conduit as a ground, cheaper then another wire and easier.. lots of places that don't use metal pipes (conduit) have to use a third wire..

so Jb coming to the nat meet?

BWAHAHA

Billy, first off if I was going, I'd have no problem saying it to your face.

Second of all, why are you getting so defensive? Did you look back at what you wrote, saw how moronic it is, and decide to back it up with YOUR Internet penis? Do you realize how hypocritical you are being? Do you even understand that word?

Why is it instead of making intelligent statements, you always try to back up your words with empty threats? The odds of us ever meets are slim to none, yet you feel the need to try to prove you are a better man by making threats. That is a sign of weakness in my book.

And I still maintain it is possible to get killed by 110 from wiring an electrical outlet. First you began saying its impossible, now you backpedal to, its unlikely. No shit its unlikely, but that is not what you were arguing.

Third wire to a "proper" ground is the same thing as wiring it to the box if wiring it to the box connects (electrically) to the plumbing and the plumbing is connected (electrically) to a proper ground, I.E. the earth. That's why it's called "ground" and "earth", depending what country you're from. But you need to make sure that that is indeed the case -- don't assume.

The long and short of it is, either way is okay, as long as you electrically connect that third prong to ground somehow. Do not just "float" it.

Billy -- you're basically telling us that, as a licensed electrician, you've been shocked several times? That doesn't bode well for business, dude. I wouldn't advertise that...

Billy -- you're basically telling us that, as a licensed electrician, you've been shocked several times? That doesn't bode well for business, dude. I wouldn't advertise that...

I don't work as a electrician as a career,or should I say practice it everyday as a job, few reasons why I was licensed was to gain knowledge (if i win the lotto i would get every PhD i could in my life),help my company to become smarter (BBA was also done for this), if needed to be i can safety Re-wire an outlet for a needed plug (some products have twist lock connectors and you need a twist lock outlet..only done this twice.)...

as I said in my post I don't do it as a career, nor would I wire something in someones house if asked to...its not my job, i can but i won't.