Headphone recs for a toddler (this is a legitimate question and not some backhanded remark against your average headfi user)

recstar24

So we are going to San Diego for vacation Saturday and it will be Molly's first airplane. Which means we need distractions. I've got some Disney classics and some kids tunes loaded up on the iPad, which means headphones. She turns 3 in August.

They need to be comfy enough where she won't mess with them, small enough to fit a 3 year olds head, and cheap enough where I won't sweat it when she break them.

Go.

My daughter didn't tolerate even comfy headphones for long in all honesty. I have "given" her my M80s which she'll listen to music with for a short while. I set the max volume on an iPod quite low for that.

Reks: There are a lot of things I said I'd never do if I had children. Then I had children. Mind you, my daughter isn't a monster, despite my failings.

Edited by Currawong

I'm sorry you've had to interact with kids who's behaviour you don't appreciate, Reks. That doesn't mean that your single entry sample set is a valid one.

As to the question, I think it depends on what the individual kid's head size is, their tolerance for pressure, etc. We have tried a ton of different headphones over the years, and mostly, they're all good for about a month before they break, so I suggest inexpensive and durable as the primary considerations...

My daughter didn't tolerate even comfy headphones for long in all honesty. I have "given" her my M80s which she'll listen to music with for a short while. I set the max volume on an iPod quite low for that.

Reks: There are a lot of things I said I'd never do if I had children. Then I had children. Mind you, my daughter isn't a monster, despite my failings.

I remember my wife and I when we had Molly (our 1st) we were adamant about not using a pacifier. That last a few hours :)

Although on the pricey side, I have a pair of Senn HD25-1 II for each of my two. They are worth their weight in gold. They are comfy, do not fall off (ever), have enough cord length, and do a great job of providing good isolation on airplanes so they can listen at low volumes (not iem good, but pretty good nonetheless). They fit tiny heads (like 3-year olds), are extremely durable, and you won't wince at using them as well. And they will appreciate them when they get older. I find the little toss away headphones to be just that - and potentially just as costly in the long run. One thing, set the volume for them by listening first.

Parenting is a 24hr/day job - not that bad to squeeze out an hour here or there.

Just my 2 cents.

Ditto ... we went to Radio Shack and got the cheapest, smallest sets we could find. And they broke at least one already, no biggie. But one's ears are too small to fit, so we had to find another cheap pair that went over her ears. Definitely discuss volume levels early and regularly. And definitely engage them with other better things regularly, and guide them over what they're listening to and playing w/ video games ... but sometimes you just need a break, esp on a long plane ride or car drive. I'm a better parent when I can have an hour here and there without them needing my absolute, complete, and constant attention, every second of the hour, every hour of the day, every day of the week ...

First plane trip! Exciting! Let us know how it goes! :)

Daniel's first plane ride he would remember was at about that age. He was so excited, that he was jumping up and down in the boarding area, looking at the airplanes coming and going, and saying 'airplane! airplane!'.  :) He said this for half an hour while waiting to board, while the other passengers smiled at his joy. We boarded the plane, and he said gleefully, 'airplane! airplane!' We sat down while he smiled and laughed, 'airplane! airplane!'. When the jet engines, which were right next to us, fired up and made a huge, overwhelming roar right next to our ears, I looked over at him, and he was crying uncontrollably in terror, and mumbling under his tears and wails ...'airplane.... (waaah)   airplane'. :(

Just hilarious ... we still tell him that story all the time and he loves it!

• Like 1

Sony makes kid sized ones with volume limiters. 10-15 bucks at walmart. They do break, though.

PX-100s worked for my kids. They loved mine. Most of their headphones broke, the PX100s are still kicking.

The RS ones may be made by Koss, no? If the warranty is the same, buy two pairs, and use one while the other one is sent off to be replaced. :)

**BRENT**

I remember my wife and I when we had Molly (our 1st) we were adamant about not using a pacifier. That last a few hours :)

I was adamant that my child would never have a screaming fit...  :palm:

Ditto ... we went to Radio Shack and got the cheapest, smallest sets we could find. And they broke at least one already, no biggie. But one's ears are too small to fit, so we had to find another cheap pair that went over her ears. Definitely discuss volume levels early and regularly. And definitely engage them with other better things regularly, and guide them over what they're listening to and playing w/ video games ... but sometimes you just need a break, esp on a long plane ride or car drive. I'm a better parent when I can have an hour here and there without them needing my absolute, complete, and constant attention, every second of the hour, every hour of the day, every day of the week ...

First plane trip! Exciting! Let us know how it goes! :)

Daniel's first plane ride he would remember was at about that age. He was so excited, that he was jumping up and down in the boarding area, looking at the airplanes coming and going, and saying 'airplane! airplane!'.   :) He said this for half an hour while waiting to board, while the other passengers smiled at his joy. We boarded the plane, and he said gleefully, 'airplane! airplane!' We sat down while he smiled and laughed, 'airplane! airplane!'. When the jet engines, which were right next to us, fired up and made a huge, overwhelming roar right next to our ears, I looked over at him, and he was crying uncontrollably in terror, and mumbling under his tears and wails ...'airplane.... (waaah)   airplane'. :(

Just hilarious ... we still tell him that story all the time and he loves it!

Ha! My daughter whined through the entire plane trip (when she wasn't sleeping) then as soon as we got off she wanted to get back on again! Your story reminds me of the time she wanted to eat one of the black-pepper rice crackers I'd bought. She ate one, looked up at me and shouted "WATER! WATER!" Likewise she loves me telling the story about it and still loves eating them.

Vaguely on topic, my son loves going to sleep listening to Three Guitars/Friday Night in San Francisco. 

• Like 1