The Knuckledragger 3rd Memorial Slow Forum Post

Knuckledragger

^^^ Me too.  I stole it (as I do several things from this thread) to post to FB.  An old friend who is pretty geeky was one of the first to like it.  He and I memorized post-decimal digits of Pi when we were in 6th grade.  I got to 35, he got to 50!  We always chuckled when that math teacher used one of her favorite expressions - "It's as easy as Pie" [sic]

• Like 2

Current world pi memory record 70,300 digits http://www.pi-world-ranking-list.com/index.php?page=lists&category=pi took more than 17 hours to recite it.  I actually saw a guy back in 1976 who only had only 10,000 digits, but had it in random access - given any three or four digits at random from the number he could continue from that point immediately.  Same event (at CERN) that Wim Klein extracted the 73rd root of a 500 digit number in a little under 3 minutes.

Klein's party trick was going out for a beer, and walking though the car park would memorize all the number plates and make/colour of each car.  People in the bar would test him - he never got it wrong.  He was employed by CERN to debug computer code - he was capable of doing a mental dry run to find tricky errors.

Good heaven - I found a photo of that event on the web.  I'm five rows from the front, 3rd from the right, checked shirt.  Klein is standing, and the guy sat next to the projector is the pi man - totally forget his name. http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/article/december-2012/%E2%80%98human-calculator%E2%80%99-wim-klein-advanced-physics-inspired-others

Wim_Klein2-s.jpg?itok=XIllJf7L

• Like 6