Cardas...not cables

Dusty Chalk

A great quote:

"Designed from the ground up, every aspect of the Cardas EM5813 Ear Speakers is built to mirror the human hearing system. Cardas Ear Speakers are efficient, natural, musical, and are the result of years of meticulous design by George Cardas."

I wish they would have just been honest and talk about who OEM'ed these.  I don't want George Cardas learning IEM design for these things -- what would lead me believe he would get it right the first time?

Edited by Sherwood

Looks like the ones Tyll had at RMAF a couple of years ago when he introduced us to someone from Cardas that was showing them off. Sounded decent to me. I wouldn't be able to compare them to their competitors as I have not listened to many universals in a while but I would be happy with what I heard in Colorado.

Looks like the ones Tyll had at RMAF a couple of years ago when he introduced us to someone from Cardas that was showing them off. Sounded decent to me. I wouldn't be able to compare them to their competitors as I have not listened to many universals in a while but I would be happy with what I heard in Colorado.

I was remembering that sample also, and it was fine but not earth shattering, but it has been so long that they've probably finger-fucked them to death. My thought is that Cardas has such a recognizable name in audio that non-headphone-audiophiles will pick them on that basis.

Hopefully Tyll will get a set of these to circulate through the IF framily for impressions.  

They're already off to Joker for consideration. 

The best iteration of these I heard were at RMAF a couple of years ago. The current ones aren't quite as good to my ears, but decent.

My biggest gripe is that I don't think George has really understood how and why people need headphones. It's strongly based on ergonomics. Unfortunately the EM5813 is not ergonomically correct for what IEMs are typically designed to do. The 5813 is heavy; comes with only two ear-tips both the same size (one has a hole in it to tune the bass lower), and both too big for me; they're heavy; they don't isolate particularly well; and the cables are too thick and heavy.  Basically they're not very useful for what most want IEMs for. 

If, however, you just want to use them at your desk, I'd say they're okay...but then why not use a regular over-ear headphone. 

I wish they would have just been honest and talk about who OEM'ed these.  I don't want George Cardas learning IEM design for these things -- what would lead me believe he would get it right the first time?

No, George really did design these from the ground up, as best as I can tell.