A day in San Diego

crappyjones123

I am heading to San Diego on Friday night for an Emergency Medicine conference. I'll be at the conference itself on Sunday afternoon but will have all of Saturday and Sunday morning for walking around/doing stuff. 

As of right now I have the San Diego zoo on the list. How much time should I realistically set aside for it? The hotel we are staying at is only a couple of miles away. 

Don't drink so don't care for any bars or clubs. 

Suggestions for must see attractions? Any food places to check out? Nothing terribly expensive please - I am living off of med school loans. 

Thanks, 

CJ. 

I lived in SD for three years while I attended law school at USD so I'm pretty familiar with the place.

The zoo can easily turn in to an all day affair. I would plan on at least 3 hours there. Its quite impressive, and, like all things in San Diego, its just nice to be outside.

As far as things to do I highly recommend just walking around downtown in the gaslamp district. Its very neat, and you can always cut over a few blocks and walk along the waterfront. Start down by the ballpark (Petco Park) and work your way up.

Also, if you have time, drive the 15 minutes up to La Jolla to walk around or to grab dinner. Its absolutely beautiful and worth the trip. There are some nice restaurants where you can eat and overlook the ocean.

If you are looking for Mexican food, check out Old Town. It is kind of touristy, but the locals actually go down there to eat just as much as the tourists.

So your saying that you're 420 friendly? :P

The Gaslamp is full of trendy shops and restaurants, the waterfront walk is a nice one too.

There is Seaport Village (touristy). If you like looking at old boats, there is The Star of India tour

and the Midway Aircraft Carrier is interesting too. You'll need a few hours for that one.

TJ is only 20 minutes away, but you'll need a passport and balls that drag on the ground to venture there.

(not really, but it's still a bit on the wild side, not much to see and a lot of poverty looming everywhere.)

I wouldn't go into Mexico if you only have one day.  But if you have a car rental and a couple hours to burn, Lou's Records in Encinitas is worth the trip.  And then a little further, and you can visit Legoland in Carlsbad, but if you only have one day, I think you're better off spending it at the zoo.  The "...like all things in San Diego, its just nice to be outside..." comment is spot on.  San Diego is my second favourite place on earth that I've ever been (Hawaii being the first).  Perhaps browse local record stores Sunday a.m.?

I also second the Old Town suggestion.  When I went there on vacation, we had dinner every night in the same place.  Don't remember the place, though.  It was 10 years ago anyway, so probably best to just find a 4.0+ place and eat there.

phils bbq is great (except for the line, but you can get carry out and skip the line)

convoy st. if you are into Chinese food.

Also, bring warmer clothes if you plan to go out for a walk at night, because it can get fairly windy and cold.

Regardless, have fun!

I recommend checking out the La Jolla Cove, which is absolutely gorgeous.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/la-jolla-cove-la-jolla?select=UmzTaFrBePCl5OoH29nFzw#DYrOi7gv14gV9zCHKUB5Iw

And the Seaport Village, from which you can take a short ferry ride to Coronado Island across the water.  There's great restaurant called Peohe's right at the Ferry Landing on Coronado side with breath-taking view of the City.  Have dinner there and take ferry back to Seaport Village, so no need to drive to coronado over the bridge.  

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80d9534c152b68f9:0xc77720c3526ef354!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i100!3m1!7e1!4shttps://plus.google.com/113660721442449907275/photos?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:kp:placepageimage%26socpid%3D1!5sPeohe's+-+Google+Search&sa=X&ei=YW1LUvCyDOGejAL36IGADw&ved=0CKIBEKIqMAk

Seaport Village.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/seaport-village-san-diego-2