kgst

kevin gilmore

Couldn't trim the 100pot to get 10mA from the CSS ...had to change the 250ohm -> 100ohm ... used JimL method of adjusting ....apart from using the LV rather than a battery and measured the drop across the 100ohm at B+ rather ...the method works fine .... had to lower the 1k5 -> 800ohm in order to offset adjust the amp again ....

Sound impression: well for what it's worth, I find it sounding super tight and fast  ... expected to get some hum/noise from using the 'open architectur chassie' having heater wires lying around ...but the amp is dead quiet ....no hum, no hiss, just dead quiet 

Don't know whether it will change sound signatur over time ... have limited expereince with tubes...

Edited by sorenb

playing around with the board for sorenb, i found that the right heatsink is not grounded.

really should be grounded, best place is the ground on the power connector

this probably means the original board has the same issue

will update boards now

Edited by kevin gilmore

@Kevin: Yup...right heatsink on the boards I have is not grounded

@Kerry: Thanks  :laugh:  in rgrds to boxing the amps I have a few observations, one is that the almost square boards forces to be mounted horisontal (unless you want something bigger than 2U) that is why I asked Kevin to do a split version of the golden ref psu HV and LV, one side is less than 2U. The teflon sockets I use for the tubes in the KGST makes it impossible to cram the amp inside a 2U ...using 10mm standoffs ....the height is 950mm ....I really admire your KGST but since I am currently short of a CNC and don't have any experience in doing PCBs that is really not possible 4me to copy  :laugh:

kevin gilmore said:

got a batch of dn2540 and they have a 20% variance, so much easier to pick the resistor on a test circuit

and stuff it in when you build the board.

That replicates my findings with DN2540 - it does vary from batch to batch. I'm guessing it varies more than a 10M90S because that was designed as as a current source so they probably keep closer tolerances for that purpose whereas the DN2540 was designed as more general purpose.  I recall posting on this but I can't find it at the moment. 

Agree that using a test jig is the way to go easiest way to do that is use a transistor socket, solder a 100 ohm resistor to the gate terminal of the socket, connect positive voltage to the drain terminal, a variable pot to the source terminal, then a 10 ohm resistor to the gate resistor and the other terminal of the pot (to measure the current) and the neg voltage to the other end of the 10 ohm resistor.  It's easier to see with a drawing, but basically you measure the voltage across the 10 ohm resistor while adjusting the variable pot for the desired current (e.g. 10 mA corresponds to 100 mV).  Then measure the resistance of the pot to get the desired resistance for the drain resistor - I would use about 2/3rd of the measured resistance and use the trimmer pot to get the correct resistance in-circuit.  Remember that in-circuit there is only a few volts across DN2540 so you don't want to crank the voltage too high when measuring. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my KGST. It sounds spectacular with a 207, wish I had a 007 or 009 to try it with!

With headphones plugged in and nothing plugged into the inputs, there is a buzz or hum with the volume pot turned way up. With an input plugged in, dead silence across the entire range. I must have a ground loop or some other wiring problem, but I don't understand it. I used a simple grounding scheme: IEC neutral ground, transformer, PSU, and pot all star grounded; amp boards connected to PSU ground terminals and not star grounded. Any idea what might cause the problem?

Edit: Fixed typo, of course I didn't short the AC to the star ground...

Edited by gepardcv