Your recent music purchases

deepak

Has anyone decided to buy this yet? I know I will be...one of my favorite albums of his...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=150774

Forgot about this. Bought one of the last ones at a sane price.

Wow. You know, for the most part, our musical tastes differ, but every once in a while, he hits a homer. I was teased in high school that my two favorite bands were Black Sabbath and Henry Mancini and his Orchestra. I might have to get this.

Vorlon1 sent me a bunch of her live stuff. Loved her voice, hated the song choices. If I can remember what I did with the disc, I'll send it on to you.

I haven't heard it yet. I just got back from working out and am in no shape to do anything. But please send it to me. If I come to the same conclusion, it will become the "jacqui naylor audition disc". ;D

Has anyone decided to buy this yet? I know I will be...one of my favorite albums of his...Wow. You know, for the most part, our musical tastes differ, but every once in a while, he hits a homer. I was teased in high school that my two favorite bands were Black Sabbath and Henry Mancini and his Orchestra. I might have to get this.

I think a Black Sabbath cover of "Baby Elephant Walk" would have been tremendous! :prettyprincess:

Well my wife and I finished day one (five stores) of our three day used record buying binge. We hit Lousisville and stores were very good. Bought 93 records, alot of it new, all of it looks to be in very good condition. Was suprised how much new stuff was at all the stores. good prices too.

We are hanging at Thiel this morning then off to three stores here in Lexington. from there Cinn. tomorrow. One of the stores today is mainly highend, prime pressings (new and used) :dance:

Time to build up those flyer miles with the Discovery card!

Well my wife and I finished day one (five stores) of our three day used record buying binge. We hit Lousisville and stores were very good. Bought 93 records, alot of it new, all of it looks to be in very good condition. Was suprised how much new stuff was at all the stores. good prices too.

We are hanging at Thiel this morning then off to three stores here in Lexington. from there Cinn. tomorrow. One of the stores today is mainly highend, prime pressings (new and used) :dance:

Time to build up those flyer miles with the Discovery card!

Wow, sounds like a good time Tom.

OJC discs:

A World of Piano! - Phineas Newborn

Harlem Blues - Phineas Newborn

The Great Jazz Piano of Phineas Newborn Jr. - Phineas Newborn

Please Send Me Someone to Love - Phineas Newborn

Look Out: Phineas Is Back - Phineas Newborn

Back Home - Phineas Newborn

The Newborn Touch - Phineas Newborn

We Three - Roy Haynes

On the Spot! - Jaki Byard

Here's Jaki - Jaki Byard

Brilliant Corners - Thelonious Monk

The Jaki Byard Experience - Jaki Byard

Freedom Together! - Jaki Byard

Sunshine of My Soul - Jaki Byard

Out Front! - Jaki Byard

Hi-Fly - Jaki Byard

Live at Newport '58 - Horace Silver

Lookin' at Monk - Johnny Griffin

Way Out! - Johnny Griffin

Johnny Griffin Sextet - Johnny Griffin

The Art Farmer Septet Plays the Arrangements and Compositions of Gigi Gryce & Quincy Jones - Art Farmer Septet

The Art Farmer Quintet - Art Farmer Quintet

Chet - Chet Baker

The Chet album was mentioned on SH forums, so I had to act quickly to get a used copy before all the insanity begins, just like the Mancini CD a few days ago.

Wow, sounds like a good time Tom.

We are having a blast. Thiel went above and beyond anything we had thought they would do. Then after the tour and meeting and bothering the whole crew with dumb questions we were handed the remotes and turned loose in the listening room. We listened to the 3.7s with the new Krell evo 600 mono amps and Ayre pre and Ayre universal player. We spent close three hours in there jamming.

After that Gary walked us around downtown Lexington and we went to eat. Great day.

Back on track........

Picked up another 40 plus albums today. Found a store with a great classical selection and grabbed 21 there.

Then 20 jazz and blues type music,(alot new) all simply vinyl, blue note and really good stuff. Most new. 3 new Tom Waits on the SV label and 3 new 45rpm Blue note reissues. Four more stores today and home tomorrow to start listening to this stuff.

What a great trip Tom! Wow, that's a lot of vinyl in a short time. Are you gonna list 'em all for us or would you get carpal tunnel just from typing it all?! :o Enjoy!

My relatively meager pickup from Amoeba Records the other night does have some highlights. I was looking at the new arrival used jazz LPs and found an OJC release of a Bobby Hutcherson record from the 80s. It was sealed in the original shrink-wrap with the OJC label still on it. I figured for 9.99 I couldn't go wrong because these titles are not available on vinyl generally speaking. Then, I found another and another and... Anyway, here are the sealed, original OJC LPs I scrounged out of the bins.

41MP0ZW3W9L._SS500_.jpg

OJC-425

41JDZY2R8DL._SS500_.jpg

OJC-108

1213320518.jpg

OJC-062

41B8HFAFMBL._SS500_.jpg

OJC-051

0476c060ada0fdd2cb21a110.L.jpg

OJC-125

19c990b809a08570c9c75110.L.jpg

OJC-1727

BillPerkinsQuintetFeaturingVictorFe.jpg

OJC-1776

I am curious to ask about the source but I didn't have time the other night. Will try to go again today.

I also bought these "used" LPs, which are mighty fine as well:

wes_dreaminf.jpg

Cisco numbered copy 1218 unopened

elchic.gif

Further Adventures of El Chico, Impulse

4643_1_sbl.JPG

Soul Brothers, Milt Jackson and Ray Charles, Atlantic

I was thinking about taking some pics of the OJC titles. I haven't even opened them yet. Going to make sure I just slit the shrink wrap to get the vinyl out so I can leave the OJC label on them.

O.K., We are shopped out and have gone well over our (absolutely no more than $1K on vinyl this trip) limit we set before we left ATL. Went crazy on new vinyl today. Didnt even look at the used sections of two stores. 29 more albums, all new, and cant wait to get home and start listening. My downfall will be that records stores are making a serious comeback as far as new released and new remastered music is concerned. I will try to get the list up monday. Lots of great stuff.

Nice OJC pull, Voltron. The vinyl OJC can be quite $$$ on Amazon. Thank god I'm only going after the CDs :D

Chris-

Have you bought direct from Concord Records? They have a lot of discs at really low prices. Not sure what is available vs. what you are after, but here is the link to the main page but don't forget to click the "browse all OJC artists" link to dig deeper.

Whoa :o

Never bought direct from Concord...yet;D

I love how everything is gathered up in one place and the bio sections. I've mostly been just doing Amazon searches, and often end up getting OOP stuff from Newburry Comics. They seem to have a bunch of stuff.

These are good prices, from the looks of it. I'm gonna have to have me a splurge soon :cool: