simaudio moon 430

mtoc

My first head-case post. Please excuse me if I don't quite get it right the first time.

I bought my 430HA soon after the initial release, having used and liked some Simaudio products previously. Big mistake.

The 430HA has great musicality and nice warmth. The build quality and feature set are both excellent. Unfortunately this comes at the cost of the SQ. Slow, veiled, boring. Not a great amp and utterly lacking in transparency. I was very surprised that Tyll raved about it and put it on the Wall Of Fame. My view is that any "reference" amp should be, above all else, a transparent device. The 430HA is anything but. I sold mine a few months later and bought a Violectric V281. A much, much better amp.

9 hours ago, wink said:

great start, donkey. 2 posts for one piece of info.......:P

I like to start with a healthy dose of retard right out of the gate. Can only improve from there.

9 hours ago, DefQon said:

What an odd decision. The Violectric 281 is what I would describe as a amp with a bit of warmth, that typical Violectric house signature. 

V281 does indeed have a dose of warmth and musicality. Where it differs to the 430HA is that it doesn't sacrifice speed, punch, detail and dynamics to get there.

The 430HA was a big failure for me. I was getting noticeably better speed, dynamics, detail ... etc from my 300B tube amp. Admittedly this is a Glenn custom job and an exceptionally good tube amp, but still, when a SS amp gets its ass handed to it by a tube rig in exactly those areas where SS is supposed to dominate you know there is a problem.

28 minutes ago, wink said:

So, what you're saying is that Moon products are for moon units.  No problem there,,,,,,,,,,   :D

Simaudio make some hot gear - I like their pre / power / integrated amps quite a bit - but they really shat the bed in grand style with the 430HA. Massive shit bath. Like a shit bath jumped into a bigger shit bath to take a huge shit. A galaxy of shitness.

God it feels good to say this. HeadFi is such a shitty site.

I'm getting so tired of these inane posts of yours but I'll bite for the last time.  These amps have been discussed a few times but you are clearly too lazy to look it up.  This is really the "lipstick on a pig" way of building amps.  Shitty circuits that are badly implemented but throw enough expensive parts at it to make the poor souls stupid enough to pay for this happy.  Seriously, it is pure joy to read the Demograph posts on the Russian forum, he's like Mikhail from Singlepower but with even less skill.  Utterly delusional and once claimed Kevin and I didn't understand the "soul" of the music...what ever the fuck that means. 

Ohhh wait I know what it means.  It's just the standard reply used by any peddler of sub-par gear when called on their shit.  Let's call high distortion, high noise and no ability to drive the load at hand "soul". 

• Like 6