Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

My McIntosh MC2100 arrived! ;D

As Mike has stated, it is deceptively heavy and I wasn't really prepared for the weight when I tried to pick up the box. It's in a very good cosmetic condition and look great (the left attenuator is bit loose, but I won't be using it so it doesn't really matter). I've hooked it up to my TV speakers (Epos ELS3) and everything seems to be working just fine.

My McIntosh MC2100 arrived! ;D

As Mike has stated, it is deceptively heavy and I wasn't really prepared for the weight when I tried to pick up the box. It's in a very good cosmetic condition and look great (the left attenuator is bit loose, but I won't be using it so it doesn't really matter). I've hooked it up to my TV speakers (Epos ELS3) and everything seems to be working just fine.

Awesome! Hope it works out for you.

Mine is sorely missed...still in the shop

:sadcat:

I'd like to watch some movies tonight - in 2ch since I haven't gone the HT surround route. For this application especially, I need the extra headroom, dynamics, and bass, that the Mc2100 affords over the 20 Watt Heathkits. Need to mail Terry and see what's up.

I'm thinking bi-amping the Heathkits up high and Mc down low could be something special - though it would almost be a shame to waste the mids & highs of the Mc, which are quite good.

Most of all, it's nice to feel free of the need to own a $3K+ power amp. Money better spend on speakers IMO ;D

Awesome! Hope it works out for you.

Me, too, and I can't wait to find out how it pairs with Eminent Tech LFT-8b's that I should be getting in few weeks. Before that, I need to have speaker wires made with skinny spades as the speaker taps are pretty small.

I also need to get a new box for it since I highly doubt I can pack it back into the boxes in which it was shipped (it was packed well, though). Maybe a wood crate or something sturdy like that.

I hope you get yours back soon, Mike.

Me, too, and I can't wait to find out how it pairs with Eminent Tech LFT-8b's that I should be getting in few weeks. Before that, I need to have speaker wires made with skinny spades as the speaker taps are pretty small.

I also need to get a new box for it since I highly doubt I can pack it back into the boxes in which it was shipped (it was packed well, though). Maybe a wood crate or something sturdy like that.

I hope you get yours back soon, Mike.

Yeah, the old binding screw terminals can be annoying. I ironed 1/4" spades on some unterminated star-quad - did a terrible job of it I might add ;D - but works great. I initially tested the amp on some cheap speakers w/ bare wire connection...was very careful to make sure there were no stray strands of copper!

It took me over an hour to pack that amp up for shipment...including finding the appropriate boxes & foam pack around the apt. Packing peanuts won't work with an amp of this density; they'll quickly get crushed and yield free air for the amp to bounce around.

Thanks, I just sent Terry a polite and short email... :)

I don't know if this helps, but the Kimber standard spade fits quite nicely on the narrow-ish barrier strips that the Vandersteen speakers use. Perhaps they would fit on these amps as well?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'll see if I can convince certain someone to help me out soon.

Just heard from Terry - he'll email me back when my amp makes it to the bench.

:sadcat: :sadcat:

(let me know when I reach my sadcat quota for the month)

I can understand he's likely very busy, especially considering how reasonable his price quotes are, and given the buzz on his quality of work. I'd certainly much rather have it this way that a quick fix from a hack. Still, a time estimate-ballpark would be nice. Even a Mikhail-style estimate :D

That's a bummer, Mike.

I guess it's also something for me to keep in mind, in case I need to send mine in to him for a service. You know, the look left gain control does bother me a bit (I can pull it out a little) - though I doubt I'll care as much once I have everything set up in few weeks.

Oh, and I didn't realize that the amp doesn't have an on/off switch - good thing that my Zerosurge unit comes with both always-on and switched outlets.

You know, my right ch knob was loose as well. It wouldn't even pass signal until dialed past 2:00 o'clock, but worked well enough past that. I wonder if it got that way in shipping - there was the possibility of that area bearing weight, from the way the seller packed.

Ah, I was wondering why you had your gain at around 3 o'clock in your pic. Fortunately, both of my gain controls are working fine so far - even though I just realized that I can take the metal shaft that connects knob to the pot out of the pot.

Yeah, I think the amp is bit too dense and heavy not to have a good fitted packaging. Maybe my local Container Store will have something suitable as I'd need to pack it up in few weeks when I move.

I just salvaged $50 worth of parts using a relatively new $30 "hot solder sucker". Gotta love when tools pay for themselves. Great little tool, much better than the Rat Shack bulb desoldering iron. A few words of wisdom. Two hot tools on your bench is one too many... and the "sucker" can "blow" as well.................. when depressing the plunger. :)