Post the last thing you bought!

JBLoudG20

You're just jealous. ;D

I'm pretty sure it's like that for biasing purposes. If you look at other pictures it is a seriously well made amp, so it's not like they were just being lazy.

No seriously I don't think I'd accept that if I was paying $1400 for it. I don't have speakers and I already have a well built K1000 power amp.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/almarro5/318.html

It's like that for biasing. I don't see why having elevated tube sockets for the 6C33C's is a problem..

IMO it makes it less work for the manufacturer to leave them that way for biasing. There's nothing holding them back from leaving the sockets internally and having the biasing done at the top or back of the case. It's just a matter of wiring it to a different location.

The only reason I brought it up is I've seen DIY amps that have easy access to the inside of the case where you can bias the tubes. But the best looking amps I've seen have a spot where you can bias the tubes from the top or (my preference) the back of the case.

Now if the 6c33c socket prevents it from doing that then I understand why they left them outside. They look really good on the Zana Deux, but I don't know if that's an auto biasing circuit or not.

edit: nope looked at the pictures, they could have easily wired the biasing posts to a different part of the amp.

IMO it makes it less work for the manufacturer to leave them that way for biasing. There's nothing holding them back from leaving the sockets internally and having the biasing done at the top or back of the case. It's just a matter of wiring it to a different location.

The only reason I brought it up is I've seen DIY amps that have easy access to the inside of the case where you can bias the tubes. But the best looking amps I've seen have a spot where you can bias the tubes from the top or (my preference) the back of the case.

Now if the 6c33c socket prevents it from doing that then I understand why they left them outside. They look really good on the Zana Deux, but I don't know if that's an auto biasing circuit or not.

edit: nope looked at the pictures, they could have easily wired the biasing posts to a different part of the amp.

I'm with you. looks like a newb DIY'er.

Guest sacd lover

I'm with you. looks like a newb DIY'er.

They might purposely be elevating the socket to dissipate some of the heat that tube produces.

I don't know... I kinda like it. Utilitarian with form following function. I think the looks of the rest of the amp more than make up for it, and if it sounds as good as it looks, I think a minor point like the biasing locations can be overlooked. IMO, of course.

Eh, I kinda dig it - of course I tend to favor industrial over polished to a certain degree. And I'm sure it doesn't hurt with heat dissipation.

Granted, and god knows the 6c33c could use the added cooling to the sockets. I guess I just don't dig the look. It seems unfinished to me.