Denon AH-D2000--big disappointment.

boomana

lol

"these suck!"

"sweet, thanks for the recommendation!!"

Hah! Maybe I'm one, for Pabbi, whose opinion has always been the opposite of what he thinks, so in effect, I did give him a recommendation. I didn't like the Equation Audio headphones either (the RP-22X), though though they were okay for the money, and he seems to like them as well. So Pabbi, enjoy your headphones. Many people do, though I sure as hell don't know why. I'm still interested in hearing a stock pair to see if that recable really made a difference, specifically in how I experienced the mids as I've seen zero reports that mentioned what I heard, but then again, why bother. If you need more recs, I hated the Shure 210 and 310s, didn't like the Proline 2500s, am not an MS1 fan, and can't stand the DT880s (they kill my ears). ;D

As far as decent closed headphones go, I was hoping the D2000s would do it for me. I still think the fugly CD3000s are far better headphones than either the D5000 or D2000, even if I have trouble with the treble.

Hey, someone noticed poor little ol' me getting beat up!

Can you be my Head-Fi mommy (no, not nanny)? Follow-up my posts with soothing comments, bitch at anyone who disagrees with me and buy headphones for me?

And maybe "Uncle Earl" can give me some free NOS tubes?

Happy day, happy, happy, happy!!! ;D ;D ;D

You seem to handle yourself quite well all on your own. As for ME buying YOU headphones, I've seen your stash! I think sonny-boy should send a few to momma, and Uncle Earl should cough up donations to both of us!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder which of these headphones would dearest mommy, mighty matriarch of the herd, want?

Beyer DT880-'03

Alessandro MS1

Ultrasone Proline 2500

Ultrasone Proline 750

Ultrasone HFI 2200 ULE

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Ultrasone iCans

(Hint: they get worse as you go down the list, and the deterioration isn't at constant rate)

And of course, don't forget the Denon AH-D2000 (which I haven't heard yet)

I listened to a Denon AH-D5000 for the first time today for about 20 minutes. Amp was a Corda Opera and source a CEC TL51X + Lavry DA10. I used the low Z output jack.

It was a brand-new pair and might need some burn-in.

I thought it sounded OK, but not great. It seemed to me competitive versus the DT990-'05 (which I don't like), but not the K701, HD650 or AD2000 (these 3 I like). Bass quantity was strong, maybe a bit too over-emphasized. Soundstage size was smallish and there wasn't much air, more like the L3000 than the W5000.

I listened to a Denon AH-D5000 for the first time today for about 20 minutes. Amp was a Corda Opera and source a CEC TL51X + Lavry DA10. I used the low Z output jack.

It was a brand-new pair and might need some burn-in.

I thought it sounded OK, but not great. It seemed to me competitive versus the DT990-'05 (which I don't like), but not the K701, HD650 or AD2000 (these 3 I like). Bass quantity was strong, maybe a bit too over-emphasized. Soundstage size was smallish and there wasn't much air, more like the L3000 than the W5000.

That was also my impression of the D5000, but with two pairs that had plenty of time on them (agile_one's and Thrice's). They were okay, but nothing to whip out the wallet over. That's why I was hoping the D2000 would come close, as the price would have made them worthwhile for a take-to-work rig. Unfortunately, I didn't find them all that similar, and...well...you know the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

Embarrassing update: the owner of the Denons pm'ed me yesterday to say that he couldn't understand my impressions, and after investigating, discovered that Drew at Moon, when doing the recable, reversed the pads. No wonder I couldn't get them damn things to rest right on my head. I should have figured it out, and I kept messing with them, thinking wtf, but it never entered my mind that they were actually reversed. I just thought the designers were really stupid. So....let's say that accounts for at least some of my less than common negative impressions. I'm not actually interested in investigating them further, but I'm willing to say that a few things I've said here may be wrong based on me wearing the damn things wrong. Oooops.

The D2000 pads are not just donuts a la K701 and the like. They really are meant to go on only one way, so I can definitely see how having them on backwards would screw with your perception of the sound. No, it probably won't make you magically like the phones, but it should sound much more like the D5000 if you have the pads right.

I think the D5000 is going to hit a whole new level of fotm status with markl selling his R10 for one >:D I can already see the ipodpj posts praising it as the best headphone :P

Saw that thread this morning and had similar thoughts. Of course it should also be accompanied by a mass sell-off of D5000's in a few months which might not be so bad for those of us who might want to give them a spin.

I can't wait till every D5000 thread contains some version of "Dude you haven't heard the D5000s till you markl mod them. They kill the R10s."

Markl sold his R10 because of the D5000? Is he insane? Actually, I know the answer already. He always has been insane with his blatant Rudistor fanboyism mentality. The D5000 is nothing to be excited about. At least it is miles ahead of some of the shit out there however. Yes, I'm looking straight at the Ultrasone Edition 9.

Hah! Maybe I'm one, for Pabbi, whose opinion has always been the opposite of what he thinks, so in effect, I did give him a recommendation. I didn't like the Equation Audio headphones either (the RP-22X), though though they were okay for the money, and he seems to like them as well. So Pabbi, enjoy your headphones. Many people do, though I sure as hell don't know why. I'm still interested in hearing a stock pair to see if that recable really made a difference, specifically in how I experienced the mids as I've seen zero reports that mentioned what I heard, but then again, why bother. If you need more recs, I hated the Shure 210 and 310s, didn't like the Proline 2500s, am not an MS1 fan, and can't stand the DT880s (they kill my ears). ;D

To be fair, this is a case where functional need is driving my purchase - truly not a personal reaction to anyone, save a wise-ass response.

I just need closed phones for the office, and matched to a balanced amp. A deal popped up, and I took it... as yet unheard... It also has to be noted I did buy some AH-D5000 and sold them to Thrice unopened, and never heard, but heard two modded pair at a meet, without being convinced I needed another pair, mainly because of the bass (I'll leave it at that).

My heart tells me just to get more HD600 and keep my office door closed.