What do you think of "markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000" thread?

purk

I would hardly call Hirsch's rig "mid-fi".

I like to think of mine as high-end mid-fi. Hirsch's is levels above mine.

Then...I'm sorry guys.....I should have stated "a mid-range amp". When I heard the D5000 it was out of the Yamamoto + Gene's Accuphase and I thought that I like Vickie's HD-650 + Extreme Platinum a lot better. Vickie's amp really indeed sound superb...the texture of the bass I've heard on her amps really is amazing. You guys should check out the HD-650 on her amp.

BTW, Hirsch is also a level or two above mine.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even balanced they were mediocre?

I thought they were good headphones, just not as good as quite a few others when system matched (6X0s, 701s, W5000, etc) They do everything well, just not great. They also don't scale all that well, from my limited impressions, and what you hear on one system is not all that different from what you hear on another, better, or even balanced rig. That's not to say they don't respond to changes (they opened up a bit after changing sources from my Lector to Exemplar Denon), but nothing to make me think that what you get when you open the box will be much different no matter what you do (markl mods, and recables unknown). I think at the time I heard them (two separate occasions; both for only a couple hours in non-meet conditions, and maybe for a couple more total in meet conditions), I just couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about, especially considering the price. That's why I was hoping to like the D2000s, as I thought they might be worth it, especially as a rare, decent, inexpensive closed headphones.

I thought they were good headphones, just not as good as quite a few others when system matched (6X0s, 701s, W5000, etc) They do everything well, just not great. They also don't scale all that well, from my limited impressions, and what you hear on one system is not all that different from what you hear on another, better, or even balanced rig. That's not to say they don't respond to changes (they opened up a bit after changing sources from my Lector to Exemplar Denon), but nothing to make me think that what you get when you open the box will be much different no matter what you do (markl mods, and recables unknown). I think at the time I heard them (two separate occasions; both for only a couple hours in non-meet conditions, and maybe for a couple more total in meet conditions), I just couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about, especially considering the price. That's why I was hoping to like the D2000s, as I thought they might be worth it, especially as a rare, decent, inexpensive closed headphones.

I pretty much have the same reaction when listening to the stock D5000 and balanced D5000. Of course, I've yet to listen to them in my system so my impression is not absolute.

Then...I'm sorry guys.....I should have stated "a mid-range amp".
It's not what you stated, it's what you assumed/implied -- that the HD650 is just better, and whether or not I agree with you is a function of upstream equipment. I disagree, let's leave it at that. (Just so that what I am assuming/implying is clear -- I think it's just a matter of taste. I value a straightforward delivery more than anything, and to me, the Senns are just too laid back in the same way that Grados are too forward. To me. )

Oh, and "scaling" isn't necessarily a good thing -- if you can't afford the high-level upstream equipment, then what you're saying is, you're hearing an inferior phone (to itself even).

It's not what you stated, it's what you assumed/implied -- that the HD650 is just better, and whether or not I agree with you is a function of upstream equipment. I disagree, let's leave it at that. (Just so that what I am assuming/implying is clear -- I think it's just a matter of taste. I value a straightforward delivery more than anything, and to me, the Senns are just too laid back in the same way that Grados are too forward. To me. )

Oh, and "scaling" isn't necessarily a good thing -- if you can't afford the high-level upstream equipment, then what you're saying is, you're hearing an inferior phone (to itself even).

Dusty,

It is o.k., we can agree that we have different in opinion, but from what I heard, the Senn HD-650 is just more refined and has better resolution than the Denon D5000. The Senn HD650 can be more forward by switching tube on my SDS. The HD-650 on Vickie's extreme is anything but laid back sounding. Again, my impression of the D5000 was based on a recent florida meet.

Also, I don't see the scaling being an issue for the HD-650. What I meant was the HD-650 responds to change in equipment better than the D5000. It is a good thing as long as you have a good amp to drive them. That's one of the reason that the HD-650 is not well recieved lately b/c noobs drives their HD-650 with portable amps.

Dusty,

Hirsch SDS-XLR used to belong to Tom Hankins and I know that amp pretty well. Listening to a balanced HD-650 out of SDS-XLR was one of the best experience I had in headphone listening. It was very magical, definitely a step or two better than my L3000 w/ SDS-SE.

This is definitely not OK. You two better come to the same opinion fast. :mikey2:
Fascist.
Hirsch SDS-XLR used to belong to Tom Hankins and I know that amp pretty well. Listening to a balanced HD-650 out of SDS-XLR was one of the best experience I had in headphone listening. It was very magical, definitely a step or two better than my L3000 w/ SDS-SE.
Pfff.

And: meh.

Dusty,

I wonder how a balanced amp using 4x 6c33 would sound :angel:

Sorry, just can't help but comment on good ole Lou (ltucci1924). I hope he is okay, considering that 1924 is the year of his birth, from what I understood about him. Obviously in his old age he was getting a bit senile, but gotta love the crazy old man that stirs up crap. I have not seen any of his posts in a while though, which leads me to believe he is probably laying low for a bit while he recovers.

Sorry, just can't help but comment on good ole Lou (ltucci1924). I hope he is okay, considering that 1924 is the year of his birth, from what I understood about him. Obviously in his old age he was getting a bit senile, but gotta love the crazy old man that stirs up crap. I have not seen any of his posts in a while though, which leads me to believe he is probably laying low for a bit while he recovers.

I agree I hope he was able to have the surgery and is doing well.

You need to concentrate on listening to more music, I have yet to see the picture in your sig have more than 4 albums in it for a week. :P

would someone tell me how you get those cool last.fm album sigs? :) i want one.

but we know it will be all dead, genesis, and ray adams anyway. 8)