What do you think of "markl Mod for Denon AH-D5000" thread?

purk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So what's his next can?

markl responded on the last post on page 7 of this thread. =T He got another D5000 recabled by Moon Audio on the way. I don't think he's shilling at all as he is just experiencing a recable (which if bought used would make perfect sense why he sold his pair rather than getting them recabled).

The 7.2 is actually better. I just listened to his system couple of days ago. About 3 months ago, we went to the Theil dealer and heard the 3.7 running with the Ayre monoblock and the system sound amazing. But Tom's system just got a whole lot better after his loaner preamp arrived as well as the all the cable upgrades.

I caught that for sale listing the other day. Nothing like pulling a trose, shilling the heck out of something and then selling it. At least mark didn't jack the price way up.
Dude, I suggest you read before you jump to conclusions. As was made clear in the ad, and in the Head-Fi thread on my mod, I bought another pair, had them re-cabled, mod-ed that. Compared the mod-ed re-cabled to the mod-ed stock cable, and preferred the re-cabled pair. So I sold my guinea pig pair and kept the new re-cabled pair. I like the mod-ed, re-cabled pair so much, I'm selling my R10. End of story/scandal.

Oh, and I reserve the right to try a new headphone I've never heard before, decide I like it better than my mod-ed Denon and say so without being called a "shill" for whatever new can strikes my fancy.

Yeah....plus he probably already made b/w $500 to $1000 for the case. A net profit of around 3k.
You mean someone will actually pay $500-$1000 for the case? Man I guess I got ripped off then, shoulda held out for more. >:(

He misses bass.
I'm no bass-head. That's why I spent so much time and effort trying to tame the bass on the Denon. That said, the mod-ed phone still has a lot more low-bass info than the Sony, and I admit, I like that. OTOH, the Denon is missing the upper-bass warmth of the Sony and can sound more one-note at times, so there's still a trade-off.

Regarding MarkL, I wish he gave a good tube amp a try.

And purk should try a good solid state amp. ;)

I've owned an Earmax, Earmax Pro, MicroZOTL, Melos Maestro, and was sent a RS Stealth and Raptor for review. I was also recently sent some Singlepower amp in the old-school case that totally crapped out when trying to drive the R10 and the JVC DX1000. Maybe he's beefed up the power on those amps, but from what I can see even his most expensive two-box amp uses the same puny tubes as the unit I was sent. I would sure hate to spend $10K or whatever only to find it could only drive my headphones to about 70db before clipping like crazy.

Hey markl good to see you here. Have you thought about hearing a B22 in your system?

Since people are always keen to loan you gear, you should try tracking one down (I have not heard one yet) :)

Haven't heard the Denons, but cashing in on the R10 is probably smart, not a big fan either.

Hey, markl, good to see you taking these criticisms in good form, very civil of you.

There was definitely something wrong with the Singlepower that you had -- Hirsch has had multiple iterations of Singlepower amps -- including the first Supra -- and they all drove R10's, and to a level that was satisfactory to Hirsch (and I doubt he tolerates distortion). Burned out tubes? Something else? I don't know, but I know that they can drive R10's just fine.

I suspect they can drive Denons just fine, too.

Have you thought about hearing a B22 in your system?
Do you mean a B-52? I thought you guys hate RS over here? ???

There was definitely something wrong with the Singlepower that you had -- Hirsch has had multiple iterations of Singlepower amps -- including the first Supra -- and they all drove R10's, and to a level that was satisfactory to Hirsch (and I doubt he tolerates distortion). Burned out tubes? Something else? I don't know, but I know that they can drive R10's just fine.
I don't think there was anything wrong with it. He gave me two sets of tubes to play with and they had the same result.

At some point, when I re-write all the instructions for how to mod the Denons, I'll have to post them here as well (unless Positive Feedback wants it). What's been captured so far is incomplete, and I would hate to have someone see this and try it without having full info on the actual final mod.